Emacs users: feedback on diffs between python-mode.el and python.el?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Bruno Desthuilliers, Oct 14, 2008.

  1. a écrit :
    > If you're an Emacs user who has used both python-mode.el (the python mode
    > code distributed with Python and XEmacs) and python.el (the python mode code
    > distributed with GNU Emacs), I'd like to get your impressions on how they
    > compare and where you feel the bugs lie. I'm nominally one of the
    > python-mode.el maintainers (though not very active) but have never tried the
    > GNU python.el.

    Hi Skip.

    I stumbled on python.el last year and very very *very* quickly replaced
    it with my good old python-mode.el. The first and foremost reason being,
    IIRC, the lack of proper support for working with the embedded
    interactive interpreter (one killer-feature of python-mode). Honnestly,
    I don't think I've used python.el more than five minutes (not having C-c
    ! and C-c C-c working as expected being a definitive show-stopper for
    me), so I can't say much more about python.el.

    wrt/ python-mode.el:
    - the most annoying bug is syntax coloration of triple-quoted strings,
    that doesn't correctly handles quotes within the triple-quoted part.
    - a slightly less but still annoying problem (I wouldn't call it a bug)
    is the handling of indentation for nested litteral dicts/lists/tuples.

    Note that I don't even know if python.el does a better job here. If no
    one provides more feedback on it, let me know and I'll give it a closer
    look.

    HTH

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Oct 14, 2008

  2. Bruno Desthuilliers

    Guest

    If you're an Emacs user who has used both python-mode.el (the python mode
    code distributed with Python and XEmacs) and python.el (the python mode code
    distributed with GNU Emacs), I'd like to get your impressions on how they
    compare and where you feel the bugs lie. I'm nominally one of the
    python-mode.el maintainers (though not very active) but have never tried the
    GNU python.el.

    Thanks,

    --
    Skip Montanaro - - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

    , Oct 14, 2008

  3. Bruno Desthuilliers schrieb:
    > a écrit :
    >> If you're an Emacs user who has used both python-mode.el (the python mode
    >> code distributed with Python and XEmacs) and python.el (the python
    >> mode code
    >> distributed with GNU Emacs), I'd like to get your impressions on how they
    >> compare and where you feel the bugs lie. I'm nominally one of the
    >> python-mode.el maintainers (though not very active) but have never
    >> tried the
    >> GNU python.el.

    > Hi Skip.
    >
    > I stumbled on python.el last year and very very *very* quickly replaced
    > it with my good old python-mode.el. The first and foremost reason being,
    > IIRC, the lack of proper support for working with the embedded
    > interactive interpreter (one killer-feature of python-mode). Honnestly,
    > I don't think I've used python.el more than five minutes (not having C-c
    > ! and C-c C-c working as expected being a definitive show-stopper for
    > me), so I can't say much more about python.el.
    >
    > wrt/ python-mode.el:
    > - the most annoying bug is syntax coloration of triple-quoted strings,
    > that doesn't correctly handles quotes within the triple-quoted part.
    > - a slightly less but still annoying problem (I wouldn't call it a bug)
    > is the handling of indentation for nested litteral dicts/lists/tuples.

    I second these two points. On the python-mode.el-ML there was a patch
    for the triple-quote problem, but I couldn't apply it due to rejected
    hunks. Didn't investigate that.

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Oct 14, 2008
  4. Bruno Desthuilliers

    Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > If you're an Emacs user who has used both python-mode.el (the python mode
    > code distributed with Python and XEmacs) and python.el (the python mode code
    > distributed with GNU Emacs), I'd like to get your impressions on how they
    > compare and where you feel the bugs lie.

    I'm not sure which is which--there is one that I'm used to from older
    systems, and one on newer systems (Ubuntu Hardy) that gratutiously
    broke features that I'm used to. I haven't gotten around to
    investigating but will try to do so. Main thing I know is that C-c !
    used to make a new Python subwindow and now it doesn't, which is bad.

    Paul Rubin, Oct 14, 2008
  5. Bruno Desthuilliers

    Guest

    Re: Emacs users: feedback on diffs between python-mode.el andpython.el?

    Paul> Main thing I know is that C-c ! used to make a new Python
    Paul> subwindow and now it doesn't, which is bad.

    That's probably the newer FSF version, python.el. Someone else complained
    that it didn't do Python interpreters.

    Skip

    , Oct 15, 2008
  6. In message <>,
    wrote:

    > If you're an Emacs user who has used both python-mode.el (the python mode
    > code distributed with Python and XEmacs) and python.el (the python mode
    > code distributed with GNU Emacs), I'd like to get your impressions on how
    > they compare ...

    I find Emacs modes just too confusing. I do all my editing in fundamental
    mode.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 15, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro a écrit :
    > In message <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> If you're an Emacs user who has used both python-mode.el (the python mode
    >> code distributed with Python and XEmacs) and python.el (the python mode
    >> code distributed with GNU Emacs), I'd like to get your impressions on how
    >> they compare ...

    > I find Emacs modes just too confusing. I do all my editing in fundamental
    > mode.

    Sounds like buying a cray supercomputer to end up doing computation by
    hand...

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Oct 15, 2008
  8. Paul Rubin a écrit :
    > writes:
    >> If you're an Emacs user who has used both python-mode.el (the python mode
    >> code distributed with Python and XEmacs) and python.el (the python mode code
    >> distributed with GNU Emacs), I'd like to get your impressions on how they
    >> compare and where you feel the bugs lie.

    > I'm not sure which is which--there is one that I'm used to from older
    > systems, and one on newer systems (Ubuntu Hardy) that gratutiously
    > broke features that I'm used to. I haven't gotten around to
    > investigating but will try to do so. Main thing I know is that C-c !
    > used to make a new Python subwindow and now it doesn't, which is bad.

    The first one is python-mode.el, the second one is python.el

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Oct 15, 2008
  9. Re: Emacs users: feedback on diffs between python-mode.el andpython.el?

    On Oct 14, 7:37 pm, wrote:
    > If you're an Emacs user who has used both python-mode.el (the python mode
    > code distributed with Python and XEmacs) and python.el (the python mode code
    > distributed with GNU Emacs), I'd like to get your impressions on how they
    > compare and where you feel the bugs lie.  I'm nominally one of the
    > python-mode.el maintainers (though not very active) but have never tried the
    > GNU python.el.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > Skip Montanaro - -http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

    I second Bruno's points, the older python-mode.el is much
    better, also because of the included class browser, which
    is missing in python.el. python.el seems to be integrated
    with pymacs out of the box, but I do not use it so I cannot say for
    sure if it works well or no.

    Michele Simionato, Oct 16, 2008
  10. Bruno Desthuilliers

    rustom Guest

    Re: Emacs users: feedback on diffs between python-mode.el andpython.el?

    On Oct 16, 8:37 am, Michele Simionato <>
    wrote:
    > On Oct 14, 7:37 pm, wrote:
    >
    > > If you're an Emacs user who has used both python-mode.el (the python mode
    > > code distributed with Python and XEmacs) and python.el (the python mode code
    > > distributed with GNU Emacs), I'd like to get your impressions on how they
    > > compare and where you feel the bugs lie.  I'm nominally one of the
    > > python-mode.el maintainers (though not very active) but have never tried the
    > > GNU python.el.

    > > Thanks,

    > > --
    > > Skip Montanaro - -http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

    > I second Bruno's points, the older python-mode.el is much
    > better, also because of the included class browser, which
    > is missing in python.el. python.el seems to be integrated
    > with pymacs out of the box, but I do not use it so I cannot say for
    > sure if it works well or no.

    I am interested in knowing which mode supports better the use of pdb
    inside emacs?

    Is it python-mode?

    rustom, Oct 16, 2008
  11. Bruno Desthuilliers

    rustom Guest

    Re: Emacs users: feedback on diffs between python-mode.el andpython.el?

    On Oct 16, 12:54 am, Bruno Desthuilliers
    <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro a écrit :
    >
    > > I find Emacs modes just too confusing. I do all my editing in fundamental
    > > mode.

    > Sounds like buying a cray supercomputer to end up doing computation by
    > hand...

    Reminds me of a funny story about one of our university profs.
    At a time when we used DOS and unix (on terminals) he got a very high
    end SGI workstation.
    And promptly shouted at the sysads because he could not see his
    C:>
    prompt.

    rustom, Oct 16, 2008
  12. In message
    <>, rustom
    wrote:

    > Reminds me of a funny story about one of our university profs.
    > At a time when we used DOS and unix (on terminals) he got a very high
    > end SGI workstation.
    > And promptly shouted at the sysads because he could not see his
    > C:>
    > prompt.

    The joke was on them, of course.

    To be fair, SGI did try to oblige, with a short-lived, ill-fated foray into
    Dimdows NT workstations.

    Probably hastened their end...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 16, 2008
  13. Hello,

    > I second Bruno's points, the older python-mode.el is much
    > better,

    I agree too. I can't really say what's missing from python.el, but I'm
    much more comfortable with python-mode.el. The triple-quote highlight is
    better in python.el, but I was successful in porting it to
    python-mode.el as well. Unfortunately, I don't have a clean diff, as I
    did some other tweaks...

    Alberto

    Alberto Griggio, Oct 16, 2008
  14. Re: Emacs users: feedback on diffs between python-mode.el and python.el?

    Carl Banks a écrit :
    > On Oct 14, 1:05 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers
    > <> wrote:
    >> - a slightly less but still annoying problem (I wouldn't

    > call it a bug)
    >> is the handling of indentation for nested litteral dicts/lists/tuples.

    > The python-mode.el on Subversion (python-mode's Subversion on source
    > forge, not the ancient version of python-mode in the Python
    > repository) has a fix for this issue.

    Great !-)

    > It doesn't look like there's
    > any way to browse the subversion any more, though.

    Doh :(

    Is there any way to get this version then ???

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Oct 16, 2008
  15. Re: Emacs users: feedback on diffs between python-mode.el and python.el?

    rustom a écrit :
    (snip)

    > I am interested in knowing which mode supports better the use of pdb
    > inside emacs?

    Since you mention this, I think I remember having a couple issues here
    with python-mode.el - but that was a long time ago, and I usually don't
    use pdb within the emacs-python-shell (most of the time when I have to
    drop to pdb, it's for Zope or Django related stuff that requires too
    much environment settings to make pdb-inside-emacs a viable solution).

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Oct 16, 2008
  16. Bruno Desthuilliers

    Carl Banks Guest

    <> wrote:
    > - a slightly less but still annoying problem (I wouldn't

    call it a bug)
    > is the handling of indentation for nested litteral dicts/lists/tuples.

    The python-mode.el on Subversion (python-mode's Subversion on source
    forge, not the ancient version of python-mode in the Python
    repository) has a fix for this issue. It doesn't look like there's
    any way to browse the subversion any more, though.

    Carl Banks

    Carl Banks, Oct 16, 2008
  17. Bruno Desthuilliers

    Carl Banks Guest

    Re: Emacs users: feedback on diffs between python-mode.el andpython.el?

    On Oct 16, 12:21 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers
    <> wrote:
    > Carl Banks a écrit :
    >
    > > On Oct 14, 1:05 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers
    > > <> wrote:
    > >> - a slightly less but still annoying problem (I wouldn't

    > > call it a bug)
    > >> is the handling of indentation for nested litteral dicts/lists/tuples.

    > > The python-mode.el on Subversion (python-mode's Subversion on source
    > > forge, not the ancient version of python-mode in the Python
    > > repository) has a fix for this issue.

    > Great !-)
    >
    > >  It doesn't look like there's
    > > any way to browse the subversion any more, though.

    > Doh :(
    >
    > Is there any way to get this version then ???

    You could download and apply the patch yourself:

    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1588272&group_id=86916&atid=581351

    http://tinyurl.com/4x3uvh

    Carl Banks

    Carl Banks, Oct 16, 2008
  18. Bruno Desthuilliers

    Damien Wyart Guest

    Re: Emacs users: feedback on diffs between python-mode.el and python.el?

    * Carl Banks <> in comp.lang.python:
    > The python-mode.el on Subversion (python-mode's Subversion on source
    > forge, not the ancient version of python-mode in the Python
    > repository) has a fix for this issue. It doesn't look like there's any
    > way to browse the subversion any more, though.

    The viewvc interface is still there:
    http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/python-mode/trunk/python-mode/

    --
    DW

    Damien Wyart, Oct 17, 2008
  19. Bruno Desthuilliers

    Damien Wyart Guest

    Re: Emacs users: feedback on diffs between python-mode.el and python.el?

    * Carl Banks <> in comp.lang.python:
    > The python-mode.el on Subversion (python-mode's Subversion on source
    > forge, not the ancient version of python-mode in the Python
    > repository) has a fix for this issue.

    Btw, I have not found a reference to this fix in the subversion history.
    Are you sure it has been applied? I wonder if this patch is not only in
    the Patch tracker.

    --
    DW

    Damien Wyart, Oct 17, 2008
  20. Re: Emacs users: feedback on diffs between python-mode.el andpython.el?

    At Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:21:38 +0200 wrote Bruno Desthuilliers
    <>:
    >> It doesn't look like there's
    >> any way to browse the subversion any more, though.

    > Doh :(
    >
    > Is there any way to get this version then ???

    svn co https://python-mode.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/python-mode/trunk/
    python-mode

    (Rosa Luxemburg)

    Sebastian Wiesner, Oct 17, 2008