Emacs users: feedback on diffs between python-mode.el and python.el?

Bruno Desthuilliers

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
If you're an Emacs user who has used both python-mode.el (the python mode
code distributed with Python and XEmacs) and python.el (the python mode code
distributed with GNU Emacs), I'd like to get your impressions on how they
compare and where you feel the bugs lie. I'm nominally one of the
python-mode.el maintainers (though not very active) but have never tried the
GNU python.el.

Hi Skip.

I stumbled on python.el last year and very very *very* quickly replaced
it with my good old python-mode.el. The first and foremost reason being,
IIRC, the lack of proper support for working with the embedded
interactive interpreter (one killer-feature of python-mode). Honnestly,
I don't think I've used python.el more than five minutes (not having C-c
! and C-c C-c working as expected being a definitive show-stopper for
me), so I can't say much more about python.el.

wrt/ python-mode.el:
- the most annoying bug is syntax coloration of triple-quoted strings,
that doesn't correctly handles quotes within the triple-quoted part.
- a slightly less but still annoying problem (I wouldn't call it a bug)
is the handling of indentation for nested litteral dicts/lists/tuples.

Note that I don't even know if python.el does a better job here. If no
one provides more feedback on it, let me know and I'll give it a closer
look.

HTH

Diez B. Roggisch

Bruno said:
(e-mail address removed) a écrit :

Hi Skip.

I stumbled on python.el last year and very very *very* quickly replaced
it with my good old python-mode.el. The first and foremost reason being,
IIRC, the lack of proper support for working with the embedded
interactive interpreter (one killer-feature of python-mode). Honnestly,
I don't think I've used python.el more than five minutes (not having C-c
! and C-c C-c working as expected being a definitive show-stopper for
me), so I can't say much more about python.el.

wrt/ python-mode.el:
- the most annoying bug is syntax coloration of triple-quoted strings,
that doesn't correctly handles quotes within the triple-quoted part.
- a slightly less but still annoying problem (I wouldn't call it a bug)
is the handling of indentation for nested litteral dicts/lists/tuples.

I second these two points. On the python-mode.el-ML there was a patch
for the triple-quote problem, but I couldn't apply it due to rejected
hunks. Didn't investigate that.

Diez

Paul Rubin

If you're an Emacs user who has used both python-mode.el (the python mode
code distributed with Python and XEmacs) and python.el (the python mode code
distributed with GNU Emacs), I'd like to get your impressions on how they
compare and where you feel the bugs lie.

I'm not sure which is which--there is one that I'm used to from older
systems, and one on newer systems (Ubuntu Hardy) that gratutiously
broke features that I'm used to. I haven't gotten around to
investigating but will try to do so. Main thing I know is that C-c !
used to make a new Python subwindow and now it doesn't, which is bad.

skip

Paul> Main thing I know is that C-c ! used to make a new Python
Paul> subwindow and now it doesn't, which is bad.

That's probably the newer FSF version, python.el. Someone else complained
that it didn't do Python interpreters.

Skip

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <[email protected]>,
If you're an Emacs user who has used both python-mode.el (the python mode
code distributed with Python and XEmacs) and python.el (the python mode
code distributed with GNU Emacs), I'd like to get your impressions on how
they compare ...

I find Emacs modes just too confusing. I do all my editing in fundamental
mode.

Bruno Desthuilliers

Paul Rubin a écrit :
I'm not sure which is which--there is one that I'm used to from older
systems, and one on newer systems (Ubuntu Hardy) that gratutiously
broke features that I'm used to. I haven't gotten around to
investigating but will try to do so. Main thing I know is that C-c !
used to make a new Python subwindow and now it doesn't, which is bad.

The first one is python-mode.el, the second one is python.el

Michele Simionato

If you're an Emacs user who has used both python-mode.el (the python mode
code distributed with Python and XEmacs) and python.el (the python mode code
distributed with GNU Emacs), I'd like to get your impressions on how they
compare and where you feel the bugs lie.  I'm nominally one of the
python-mode.el maintainers (though not very active) but have never tried the
GNU python.el.

Thanks,

I second Bruno's points, the older python-mode.el is much
better, also because of the included class browser, which
is missing in python.el. python.el seems to be integrated
with pymacs out of the box, but I do not use it so I cannot say for
sure if it works well or no.

rustom

I second Bruno's points, the older python-mode.el is much
better, also because of the included class browser, which
is missing in python.el. python.el seems to be integrated
with pymacs out of the box, but I do not use it so I cannot say for
sure if it works well or no.

I am interested in knowing which mode supports better the use of pdb
inside emacs?

Is it python-mode?

rustom

Lawrence D'Oliveiro a écrit :

Sounds like buying a cray supercomputer to end up doing computation by
hand...

Reminds me of a funny story about one of our university profs.
At a time when we used DOS and unix (on terminals) he got a very high
end SGI workstation.
And promptly shouted at the sysads because he could not see his
C:>
prompt.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
rustom said:
Reminds me of a funny story about one of our university profs.
At a time when we used DOS and unix (on terminals) he got a very high
end SGI workstation.
And promptly shouted at the sysads because he could not see his
C:>
prompt.

The joke was on them, of course.

To be fair, SGI did try to oblige, with a short-lived, ill-fated foray into
Dimdows NT workstations.

Probably hastened their end...

Alberto Griggio

Hello,
I second Bruno's points, the older python-mode.el is much
better,

I agree too. I can't really say what's missing from python.el, but I'm
much more comfortable with python-mode.el. The triple-quote highlight is
better in python.el, but I was successful in porting it to
python-mode.el as well. Unfortunately, I don't have a clean diff, as I
did some other tweaks...

Alberto

Bruno Desthuilliers

Carl Banks a écrit :
The python-mode.el on Subversion (python-mode's Subversion on source
forge, not the ancient version of python-mode in the Python
repository) has a fix for this issue.

Great !-)
It doesn't look like there's
any way to browse the subversion any more, though.

Doh :(

Is there any way to get this version then ???

Bruno Desthuilliers

rustom a écrit :
(snip)
I am interested in knowing which mode supports better the use of pdb
inside emacs?

Since you mention this, I think I remember having a couple issues here
with python-mode.el - but that was a long time ago, and I usually don't
use pdb within the emacs-python-shell (most of the time when I have to
drop to pdb, it's for Zope or Django related stuff that requires too
much environment settings to make pdb-inside-emacs a viable solution).

Carl Banks

- a slightly less but still annoying problem (I wouldn't call it a bug)
is the handling of indentation for nested litteral dicts/lists/tuples.

The python-mode.el on Subversion (python-mode's Subversion on source
forge, not the ancient version of python-mode in the Python
repository) has a fix for this issue. It doesn't look like there's
any way to browse the subversion any more, though.

Carl Banks

Damien Wyart

* Carl Banks said:
The python-mode.el on Subversion (python-mode's Subversion on source
forge, not the ancient version of python-mode in the Python
repository) has a fix for this issue.

Btw, I have not found a reference to this fix in the subversion history.
Are you sure it has been applied? I wonder if this patch is not only in
the Patch tracker.