Emacs VHDL mode with CTAGS / etags

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Philippe, May 13, 2011.

  1. Philippe

    Philippe Guest

    Philippe, May 13, 2011

  2. Philippe wrote:

    > Is there anybody out there who still uses CTAGS (or rather: etags) for
    > VHDL?

    Yes, I use vtags in combination with Nedit or Vim.

    I got vtags from
    http://tams-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vhdl/tools/vtags/, but it seems
    not to be accessible from there anymore.

    > I was surprised to see how crude it really is. No scoping, the
    > regular expressions get confused easily, problems with name clashes...

    Still, it is simple to use and adequate in a lot of cases. And it's free.

    --
    Paul Uiterlinden
    www.aimvalley.nl

    Paul Uiterlinden, May 13, 2011

  3. Philippe

    hhanff Guest

    On 13 Mai, 18:12, Paul Uiterlinden <> wrote:
    > Philippe wrote:
    > > Is there anybody out there who still uses CTAGS (or rather: etags) for
    > > VHDL?

    I just discovered etags a few weeks ago.
    Currently I'm working on C code and it really eases the analysis of
    foreign code.
    Honestly: etags is one of the most important emacs features that I
    discovered in the last years I would say.

    I'm already looking forward to the next VHDL project where I can give
    etags a try...

    hhanff

    hhanff, May 14, 2011
  4. On May 13, 7:32 am, Philippe <> wrote:
    > Is there anybody out there who still uses CTAGS (or rather: etags) for
    > VHDL? I was surprised to see how crude it really is. No scoping, the
    > regular expressions get confused easily, problems with name clashes...
    >
    > http://www.sigasi.com/content/navigating-through-vhdl-project-emacs-v...
    >
    > have a nice weekend!
    >
    > --
    > Philippe