Emacs VHDL mode with CTAGS / etags

Paul Uiterlinden

Philippe said:
Is there anybody out there who still uses CTAGS (or rather: etags) for
VHDL?

Yes, I use vtags in combination with Nedit or Vim.

I got vtags from
http://tams-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vhdl/tools/vtags/, but it seems
not to be accessible from there anymore.
I was surprised to see how crude it really is. No scoping, the
regular expressions get confused easily, problems with name clashes...

Still, it is simple to use and adequate in a lot of cases. And it's free.

hhanff

I just discovered etags a few weeks ago.
Currently I'm working on C code and it really eases the analysis of
foreign code.
Honestly: etags is one of the most important emacs features that I
discovered in the last years I would say.

I'm already looking forward to the next VHDL project where I can give
etags a try...

hhanff