Email address suggestion on typing

Author #1

Well, experienced IT consultants on this board may know that a lot of
clients are very lazy, they almost want our applications to do all the
job for them, and they don't have to do anything, so that they have
enough time to chitchat on the phone or surf the web. :)

OK, users can send email in a web form of my asp.net 3.5 web
application. They'd like to have the gmail / outlook mail address
suggesting feature while they type off in the To:/Cc:/Bcc: fields. I
did a search on this board, but didn't find any.

I have done search box suggestion a while back using the
AjaxControlToolkit.

Any pointer or hint is highly appreciated. I think it is a cool
feature to implement.

Scott M.

This kind of feature is implemented via AJAX. on the client and a database
of possible values on the server.

-Scott

Author #1

I have been working on this for the whole day, without any luck. :)
Although I successfully worked on the search box autocompletion using
the same AutoCompleteExtender control a while back. It is so hard to
use.

I've searched on the web, none of them seemed to have helped. My web
service works just fine because I tested calling it from my web form
and it does return the string array. But when I type off in the text
box, no suggestion fires.

I downloaded the AjaxControlToolkit source code, compiled it, and of
course the AutoComplete demo page works just fine. That page is just
too much. I'd like to have a minimal working demo.

Nice feature, but very hard to use.

Still trying .........

Scott M.

This may help:

http://www.aspdotnetcodes.com/AutoComplete_From_Database.aspx

-Scott

I have been working on this for the whole day, without any luck. :)
Although I successfully worked on the search box autocompletion using
the same AutoCompleteExtender control a while back. It is so hard to
use.

I've searched on the web, none of them seemed to have helped. My web
service works just fine because I tested calling it from my web form
and it does return the string array. But when I type off in the text
box, no suggestion fires.

I downloaded the AjaxControlToolkit source code, compiled it, and of
course the AutoComplete demo page works just fine. That page is just
too much. I'd like to have a minimal working demo.

Nice feature, but very hard to use.

Still trying .........

Author #1

I'll definitely check it out and give it a try. Meanwhile, I have
uploaded my test application to the following address.  Some nice &
kind people may download it and give it a shot, it compiles just fine,
but the autocomplete thingy does not fire. :)

http://aspnetnetwork.com/2009/09/01/autocomplete-extender-does-not-wo...

I tried all kinds of combination of the so-called fixes/catchyas which
an array of web forums have offered, all to no avail. But during my
research, I found something called Anthem library for .net.
Downloaded Peter A. Bromberg's examples from http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20060401.asp.
And in no time, I made it work for my application. So Easy To Use, No
Wonder It's #1 (courtesy of AOL). Thanks, Peter, Scott & Alexey.

Author #1

I tried all kinds of combination of the so-called fixes/catchyas which
an array of web forums have offered, all to no avail. But during my
research, I found something called Anthem library for .net.
Downloaded Peter A. Bromberg's examples fromhttp://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20060401.asp.
And in no time, I made it work for my application.  So Easy To Use, No
Wonder It's #1 (courtesy of AOL). Thanks, Peter, Scott & Alexey.

Just a little more information for those who might be interested in
this. Well, it can also serve as my note for future reference. :)

The Anthem library's AutoSuggestTextBox does not work in a child page
of a master page. Cassio Mosqueira's AutoSuggestBox, which is built
upon the Anthem library works nicely in a child page of a master
page. You can read his article and download the code at here:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/ajax/AJAXAutoSuggest.aspx?msg=1917472