email Column in table - utility to convert into mailto: addresses

Discussion in 'HTML' started by ©®, May 12, 2004.

  1. ©®

    ©® Guest

    I have a table in my document (name, phone, email) and have about
    150-200 different email addresses in the "email" column. They are in
    plain text with no links.
    Is there an automated way (in Dreamweaver or a 3rd party add-on) that I
    can convert that whole column into linkable email addresses so that when
    someone clicks on the address, it will open their email program?

    I am hoping I don't have to manually copy each address and then add
    "mailto:" to each address.
    Each address field corresponds to the name of the person. Some names are
    husband/wife and they are in alphabetical order.

    e.g.
    adam bullin
    tom gregg
    betty smith
    john smith
    tommy tomlin

    I want it to be:

    adam bullin
    tom gregg
    betty smith
    john smith
    tommy tomlin

    ©®, May 12, 2004

  2. ©®

    ©® Guest

    Sorry...the first set of names were not supposed to be hyperlinked. I
    hope you understand what I was meaning!

    ©®, May 12, 2004

  3. ©®

    Els Guest

    ©® wrote:
    > I have a table in my document (name, phone, email) and have about
    > 150-200 different email addresses in the "email" column. They are in
    > plain text with no links.
    > Is there an automated way (in Dreamweaver or a 3rd party add-on) that I
    > can convert that whole column into linkable email addresses so that when
    > someone clicks on the address, it will open their email program?
    >
    > I am hoping I don't have to manually copy each address and then add
    > "mailto:" to each address.

    Probably possible in Dreamweaver, but I don't know that
    program. I find it very easy to do in TextPad, using the
    macro function.
    http://textpad.com/

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, May 12, 2004
  4. ©®

    Shahid Juma Guest

    One way that I can think of is you can past the three columns into Excel

    4th column: <a href="mailto:
    5th column: "</a>
    6th column: concat (4th column, email column, 6th column)

    Then just copy the first 2 columns and the 6th one and paste it into an
    editor like Dreamweaver which will recognize the columns/rows...

    Shahid
    (remove NOSPAM from the email address when replying to my email address)

    Shahid Juma, May 12, 2004
  5. Quoth the raven ©®:

    > I have a table in my document (name, phone, email) and have about
    > 150-200 different email addresses in the "email" column.

    Since these addresses will become "harvestable" by the spambots, have
    these people given their permission for you to publish them?

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 12, 2004
  6. ©®

    Clive Moss Guest

    > Quoth the raven ©®:
    >
    > > I have a table in my document (name, phone, email) and have about
    > > 150-200 different email addresses in the "email" column.

    > Since these addresses will become "harvestable" by the spambots, have
    > these people given their permission for you to publish them?

    > -bts

    And even if they do give permission you should 'munge' the address
    (http://www.mways.co.uk/prog/hidemail.php)

    CM

    Clive Moss, May 12, 2004
  7. ©®

    ©® Guest

    Clive Moss wrote:
    >> Since these addresses will become "harvestable" by the spambots, have
    >> these people given their permission for you to publish them?

    > And even if they do give permission you should 'munge' the address
    > (http://www.mways.co.uk/prog/hidemail.php)

    Sorry - forgot to mention - it is an intranet so only the organisation
    can access it. (Private phone list!)

    ©®, May 12, 2004
  8. ©®

    ©® Guest

    Shahid Juma wrote:
    > One way that I can think of is you can past the three columns into
    > Excel
    >
    > 4th column: <a href="mailto:
    > 5th column: "</a>
    > 6th column: concat (4th column, email column, 6th column)
    >
    > Then just copy the first 2 columns and the 6th one and paste it into
    > an editor like Dreamweaver which will recognize the columns/rows...

    Thanks - that was what I needed. FYI the 5th column should be: ' "</a>
    as without the ' it will be right aligned and have no closing quote
    (unless of course I misunderstood your info!)

    ©®, May 12, 2004
  9. On Wed, 12 May 2004 18:30:52 +0100, ©® <> wrote:

    > I am hoping I don't have to manually copy each address and then add
    > "mailto:" to each address.
    > Each address field corresponds to the name of the person. Some names are
    > husband/wife and they are in alphabetical order.

    It seems like you already got your problem solved, but I did this sort of
    thing once in EditPlus with it's regular expression find and replace
    thingy.

    Find: <td>(.+)@(.+)</td>
    Replace with: <td><a href="mailto:\1@\2">\1@\2</a>

    I wish more apps supported regular expressions in find and replace.

    Foofy (formerly known as Spaghetti), May 13, 2004
  10. Toby A Inkster, May 13, 2004
  11. On Thu, 13 May 2004 07:35:53 +0100, Toby A Inkster <>
    wrote:

    > http://www.openoffice.org/

    I finally got around to trying this a few weeks ago, it's pretty nice! It
    has some weird bits though... but nothing I can't get used to. Miss
    "outline view" in Writer though.

    Foofy (formerly known as Spaghetti), May 14, 2004