EMAIL: Extended Characters in SUBJECT field

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Sean O'Dwyer, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. Sean O'Dwyer

    Sean O'Dwyer Guest

    Using this code, as I've used for ages in many scripts, causes an error
    on a Spanish language site I'm devloping.

    print MAIL "MIME-Version: 1.0\n";
    print MAIL "Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1\n";
    print MAIL "Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable\n";
    print MAIL "Subject: Confirmacion\n\n";

    "Confirmacion" should have an accent over the second "o" but my
    newsreader won't let me type the character directly.

    The error is that sendmail sends the e-mail correctly, but the recipient
    sees the subject messily formatted as...

    Subject: =?UNKNOWN?Q?Confirmaci=F3n?=

    How can I encode this character properly in the script, so the accent
    appears over the "o"?

    (The Perl source file is uploaded as ISO Western Latin 1.)

    Thanks in advance,

    Sean

    Sean O'Dwyer, Apr 28, 2004