Email from a flat file database

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by prometheus_au@excite.com.au, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    G'day all....

    can anyone recommend a free perl script that's publicly (and legally)
    available that will send an email to a set recipient of the contents of
    an entry of a flat file database.

    For example
    database -

    1234|Uniden C/Less|1XTC|White|Quan: 1|01/01/2006
    1235|Panasonic C/Less|CL22-1|Black|Quan: 5|02/01/2006

    Email

    Stock: 1234
    Item: Uniden C/Less
    Model: 1XTC
    Colour: White
    Quan: 1
    Date Ordered: 01/01/2006

    Or something to that effect. I've looked around but can't find
    anything.

    Cheers & thanks.
    , Jan 9, 2006

  2. J. Gleixner Guest

    wrote:
    > G'day all....
    >
    > can anyone recommend a free perl script that's publicly (and legally)
    > available that will send an email to a set recipient of the contents of
    > an entry of a flat file database.

    > Or something to that effect. I've looked around but can't find
    > anything.

    Take a look at the various Mail related modules on CPAN:

    http://search.cpan.org/modlist/Mail_and_Usenet_News/Mail

    ( Mail::Sendmail or Mail::Send are popular choices. )

    Then split ( perldoc -f split ) your lines on '\|', format the output
    with your column names, and give it to the Mail class you choose to send
    it out.
    J. Gleixner, Jan 9, 2006

    wrote:

    > can anyone recommend a free perl script that's publicly (and legally)
    > available that will send an email to a set recipient of the contents of
    > an entry of a flat file database.

    Such a script would be trivial to write. You won't usually find folks
    that publish, maintain, and support scripts that are fewer than a dozen
    lines long, which a programmer could write in a few minutes (because
    nobody would use such scripts - it would take longer to search for and
    find the script than it would to write it).

    If you would like to write such a script, there are lots of folks here
    willing to help you. But there are fewer (if any) folks willing to do
    all the work for you.

    The posting guidelines for this group may be useful to you if you
    choose to prusue this (the guidelines tell you how you can maximize the
    amount of help you receive); you can find the guidelines here:

    , Jan 9, 2006