Email from a flat file database

prometheus_au

G'day all....

can anyone recommend a free perl script that's publicly (and legally)
available that will send an email to a set recipient of the contents of
an entry of a flat file database.

For example
database -

1234|Uniden C/Less|1XTC|White|Quan: 1|01/01/2006
1235|Panasonic C/Less|CL22-1|Black|Quan: 5|02/01/2006

Email

(e-mail address removed)

Stock: 1234
Item: Uniden C/Less
Model: 1XTC
Colour: White
Quan: 1
Date Ordered: 01/01/2006

Or something to that effect. I've looked around but can't find
anything.

Cheers & thanks.

J. Gleixner

G'day all....

can anyone recommend a free perl script that's publicly (and legally)
available that will send an email to a set recipient of the contents of
an entry of a flat file database.
Or something to that effect. I've looked around but can't find
anything.

Take a look at the various Mail related modules on CPAN:

http://search.cpan.org/modlist/Mail_and_Usenet_News/Mail

( Mail::Sendmail or Mail::Send are popular choices. )

Then split ( perldoc -f split ) your lines on '\|', format the output
with your column names, and give it to the Mail class you choose to send
it out.

usenet

can anyone recommend a free perl script that's publicly (and legally)
available that will send an email to a set recipient of the contents of
an entry of a flat file database.

Such a script would be trivial to write. You won't usually find folks
that publish, maintain, and support scripts that are fewer than a dozen
lines long, which a programmer could write in a few minutes (because
nobody would use such scripts - it would take longer to search for and
find the script than it would to write it).

If you would like to write such a script, there are lots of folks here
willing to help you. But there are fewer (if any) folks willing to do
all the work for you.

The posting guidelines for this group may be useful to you if you
choose to prusue this (the guidelines tell you how you can maximize the
amount of help you receive); you can find the guidelines here: