Email from CGI

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Glen Watkins, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. Glen Watkins

    Glen Watkins Guest

    The following doesn't work (of course)

    <A HREF='mailto:p?body=the content of the text file
    in the cgi folder>click here to send this to the group</A>

    It pretty much says what i am trying to do. I am assuming that what I am
    trying to do can be done, I can't find any solutions to this, as i do try to
    solve my problems myself, I have hit a wall, I'm at a loss..

    I can make the contents appear in a browser window by doing the following...
    http://www2.mypage.com/cgi-bin/publish/webevent.cgi?cmd=showevent&ncmd=listd
    ay&cal=cal1&id=48209etc.

    What I need to do is email that same content by simply clicking a
    link/button.

    The content is read and if approved prior to sending.

    Any masterminds out there who can help me, please.

    Thanks in advance

    Michael

    Glen Watkins, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Glen Watkins

    Sean Guest

    "Glen Watkins" <> wrote in message
    > The following doesn't work (of course)
    >
    > <A HREF='mailto:p?body=the content of the text file
    > in the cgi folder>click here to send this to the group</A>
    >
    > It pretty much says what i am trying to do. I am assuming that what I am
    > trying to do can be done, I can't find any solutions to this, as i do try
    > solve my problems myself, I have hit a wall, I'm at a loss..
    >
    > I can make the contents appear in a browser window by doing the
    > following...
    > http://www2.mypage.com/cgi-bin/publish/webevent.cgi?cmd=showevent&ncmd=listd
    > ay&cal=cal1&id=48209etc.

    What language is webevent.cgi in?

    If you can have the link from the page with the content then this can be
    pretty easily done.

    If not...
    You are going to need another cgi program. One that opens the text file and
    prints
    it in a body header of an email. There are several ways to do this. What
    programming
    languages does your system have installed? PERL or Python would be my first
    two
    choices.

    Sean, Dec 10, 2004