Email links

kdavila

Hi,

How do you create an email link to be used in the web version of MS
Outlook. The links that I use have always used the default email
handler, and cause the desktop version of Outlook to open. I need an
email link that will open a new message window when accessing Outlook
via the web and not the default handler.

Toby Inkster

kdavila said:
How do you create an email link to be used in the web version of MS
Outlook.

What if the user doesn't have the web version of Outlook? Or indeed any
version of Outlook?

Anyway, it can probably be done, but don't expect it to work outside your
network.

Benjamin Niemann

How do you create an email link to be used in the web version of MS
Outlook. The links that I use have always used the default email
handler, and cause the desktop version of Outlook to open. I need an
email link that will open a new message window when accessing Outlook
via the web and not the default handler.

There is no such thing.
Your problem is exactly the reason why 'mailto:' links are a bad idea to
start with.
There are countless different ways, how people access their email. The only
compatible way is to offer your email address to the user for copy&pasting.

Nick Theodorakis

Hi,

How do you create an email link to be used in the web version of MS
Outlook. The links that I use have always used the default email
handler, and cause the desktop version of Outlook to open. I need an
email link that will open a new message window when accessing Outlook
via the web and not the default handler.

Is this for your own use? That is, are you making a link for you to log
on to your own exchange server? If so, look at the url of your logon
page and make a link out of it. E.g.:

Otherwise, no, you can't make a mailto: link open a webpage.

Nick

Dan

How do you create an email link to be used in the web version of MS
Outlook. The links that I use have always used the default email
handler, and cause the desktop version of Outlook to open.

Not on my system they don't. Mailto links will start a new message in
whatever mail program the user has configured, perhaps one that is
built in to the web browser (as in the case of the Mozilla Suite, for
instance).

kdavila

There is no such thing.
Your problem is exactly the reason why 'mailto:' links are a bad idea
start with.
There are countless different ways, how people access their email. The
only
compatible way is to offer your email address to the user for
copy&pasting.

Is there a way to make the web version of Outlook the deafault mail
handler?

Jonathan N. Little

There is no such thing.
Your problem is exactly the reason why 'mailto:' links are a bad idea
start with.
There are countless different ways, how people access their email. The
only
compatible way is to offer your email address to the user for
copy&pasting.
The was a quote from Benjamin Niemann, you should 'quote' your quoted
material!
Is there a way to make the web version of Outlook the deafault mail
handler?

Answer: No. (Are you also going to try to *make* your visitor's default
OS Windows?)

kdavila

Ok, one more try. Is there a way to create an email link that would
connect to the url of a new message window when using outlook via the
web.

Jonathan N. Little

Ok, one more try. Is there a way to create an email link that would
connect to the url of a new message window when using outlook via the
web.
Learn to quote please:

and link using href set to a 'mailto:..." will break, fail, crash and
but burn, *not work* if the visitor does not have a email client like
Outlook, Outlook Express, Netscape/Mozilla Messenger, Eudora, ... and a
POP mail account.

The only reliable way is to:

1) build a mail form
2) have the form's action post data to a server-side script, Perl, PHP,
Python, ASP, ColdFusion, ... that will process the form data and create
an email on the server, and from the server send it to you via sendmail,
postfix or whatever your server's mailserver is.

Andrew Donaldson

Beauregard said:
There is no 'web version' of Outlook (or even Outlook Express).

It might refer to Outlook Web Access, an unfortunate side effect of
Microsoft Exchange Server:

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/features/owa2k3_55.mspx

This abysmal attempt at an email program makes Outlook (Express) look
good in comparison. Those following up the "Why top posting is
considered wrong?" thread will probably despair of the fact that it
makes top-posting and HTML mail virtually compulsory.

Andrew

Toby Inkster

Jonathan said:
and link using href set to a 'mailto:..." will break, fail, crash and
but burn, *not work* if the visitor does not have a email client like
Outlook, Outlook Express, Netscape/Mozilla Messenger, Eudora, ... and a
POP mail account.

mailto: works fine without a POP3 mail account. I have an IMAP account,
and manage to click on mailto: links very often; mailto: also worked ine
back when I collected mail from a mail spool file.