    email link that will open a new message window when accessing Outlook
    via the web and not the default handler.

    , Mar 26, 2006

  2. Toby Inkster Guest

    kdavila wrote:

    > How do you create an email link to be used in the web version of MS
    > Outlook.

    What if the user doesn't have the web version of Outlook? Or indeed any
    version of Outlook?

    Anyway, it can probably be done, but don't expect it to work outside your
    network.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Mar 26, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > How do you create an email link to be used in the web version of MS
    > Outlook. The links that I use have always used the default email
    > handler, and cause the desktop version of Outlook to open. I need an
    > email link that will open a new message window when accessing Outlook
    > via the web and not the default handler.

    There is no such thing.
    Your problem is exactly the reason why 'mailto:' links are a bad idea to
    start with.
    There are countless different ways, how people access their email. The only
    compatible way is to offer your email address to the user for copy&pasting.

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Mar 26, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How do you create an email link to be used in the web version of MS
    > Outlook. The links that I use have always used the default email
    > handler, and cause the desktop version of Outlook to open. I need an
    > email link that will open a new message window when accessing Outlook
    > via the web and not the default handler.

    Is this for your own use? That is, are you making a link for you to log
    on to your own exchange server? If so, look at the url of your logon
    page and make a link out of it. E.g.:

    Otherwise, no, you can't make a mailto: link open a webpage.

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    contact form:
    http://theodorakis.net/contact.html

    Nick Theodorakis, Mar 27, 2006
  5. Dan Guest

    wrote:
    > How do you create an email link to be used in the web version of MS
    > Outlook. The links that I use have always used the default email
    > handler, and cause the desktop version of Outlook to open.

    Not on my system they don't. Mailto links will start a new message in
    whatever mail program the user has configured, perhaps one that is
    built in to the web browser (as in the case of the Mozilla Suite, for
    instance).

    --
    Dan

    Dan, Mar 27, 2006

    There is no such thing.
    Your problem is exactly the reason why 'mailto:' links are a bad idea
    start with.
    There are countless different ways, how people access their email. The
    only
    compatible way is to offer your email address to the user for
    copy&pasting.

    Is there a way to make the web version of Outlook the deafault mail
    handler?

    , Mar 27, 2006
  7. wrote:
    > There is no such thing.
    > Your problem is exactly the reason why 'mailto:' links are a bad idea
    > start with.
    > There are countless different ways, how people access their email. The
    > only
    > compatible way is to offer your email address to the user for
    > copy&pasting.

    The was a quote from Benjamin Niemann, you should 'quote' your quoted
    material!

    > Is there a way to make the web version of Outlook the deafault mail
    > handler?

    Answer: No. (Are you also going to try to *make* your visitor's default
    OS Windows?)

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 27, 2006
  8. wrote:

    > Is there a way to make the web version of Outlook the deafault mail
    > handler?

    There is no 'web version' of Outlook (or even Outlook Express).

    Please read this page before replying:
    http://safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 27, 2006

    Ok, one more try. Is there a way to create an email link that would
    connect to the url of a new message window when using outlook via the
    web.

    , Mar 27, 2006
  10. wrote:
    > Ok, one more try. Is there a way to create an email link that would
    > connect to the url of a new message window when using outlook via the
    > web.

    Learn to quote please:

    and link using href set to a 'mailto:..." will break, fail, crash and
    but burn, *not work* if the visitor does not have a email client like
    Outlook, Outlook Express, Netscape/Mozilla Messenger, Eudora, ... and a
    POP mail account.

    The only reliable way is to:

    1) build a mail form
    2) have the form's action post data to a server-side script, Perl, PHP,
    Python, ASP, ColdFusion, ... that will process the form data and create
    an email on the server, and from the server send it to you via sendmail,
    postfix or whatever your server's mailserver is.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 27, 2006
  11. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > There is no 'web version' of Outlook (or even Outlook Express).

    It might refer to Outlook Web Access, an unfortunate side effect of
    Microsoft Exchange Server:

    http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/features/owa2k3_55.mspx

    This abysmal attempt at an email program makes Outlook (Express) look
    good in comparison. Those following up the "Why top posting is
    considered wrong?" thread will probably despair of the fact that it
    makes top-posting and HTML mail virtually compulsory.

    Andrew

    Andrew Donaldson, Mar 27, 2006
  12. Toby Inkster Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > and link using href set to a 'mailto:..." will break, fail, crash and
    > but burn, *not work* if the visitor does not have a email client like
    > Outlook, Outlook Express, Netscape/Mozilla Messenger, Eudora, ... and a
    > POP mail account.

    mailto: works fine without a POP3 mail account. I have an IMAP account,
    and manage to click on mailto: links very often; mailto: also worked ine
    back when I collected mail from a mail spool file.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Mar 27, 2006
  13. Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Mar 27, 2006
  14. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 27, 2006
  15. Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Mar 27, 2006