email questions

Discussion in 'Python' started by Scott Frankel, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. I'm looking for a way to send a simple, plain text email message
    using Python. My initial attempts are failing with the following error:

    socket.error: (61, 'Connection refused')

    Does this imply that I do not have the machine's smtp server
    running? (I don't; and I'd like to avoid setting it up.)

    I'm following example code in the lib ref docs:

    >>> s = smtplib.SMTP()
    >>> s.connect()

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
    python2.4/smtplib.py", line 303, in connect
    raise socket.error, msg
    socket.error: (61, 'Connection refused')

    Python 2.4.1
    MacOSX 10.4.3

    Is there a better/easier way to send a plain text message?

    Thanks in advance!
    Scott
    Scott Frankel, Feb 8, 2006