email questions

Scott Frankel

I'm looking for a way to send a simple, plain text email message
using Python. My initial attempts are failing with the following error:

socket.error: (61, 'Connection refused')

Does this imply that I do not have the machine's smtp server
running? (I don't; and I'd like to avoid setting it up.)

I'm following example code in the lib ref docs:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/smtplib.py", line 303, in connect
raise socket.error, msg
socket.error: (61, 'Connection refused')

Python 2.4.1
MacOSX 10.4.3

Is there a better/easier way to send a plain text message?

Thanks in advance!
Scott