email validation against a SMTP server?

AFN

Has anyone written any code to verify an email address against an SMTP
server? I hear you can see if the address is an alias (catchall) versus a
real account. I know you can telnet on port 25 and do a VRFY command, but
I think most servers now disable this for security. So is it worthwhile
doing any validation against the server? If so, what are the commands you
would execute after HELO? Is there a way to see if the address is good
without actually sending mail and without calling VRFY? Anyone have any
sample code to share?

MWells

I've seen libraries for this, I believe that AspNetEmail does this, and/or
AspNetMX / AspNetSmtp. You might check those, as well as newsgroups that
are email-specific.