emailing in batch... should i?

Guest

hiye, i've got a list of distributers around 300++ and i need to mail each of them and i want performance
should i
a. loop through it all via stored proc or trigger and send the mail using sql mai
b. using vb.net and send the mail through .ne

any way besides looping

smen

Cowboy

SQL Mail or VB.NET? It really depends on which server is under load, as well
as where you feel more comfortable. Since you are only talking 300+ emails,
you are not really dealing with a huge load, so performance is not a major
issue at this point in time.

Some of the third party components have queueing ability and will batch out
the mail when the proc is not overloaded. While these components will also
loop, they are optimized for this type of delivery. I would look around for
a .NET enabled version of one of these components, if it were me.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!