    pre-insert the subject into the email.

    anyone give me the syntax for this?

    Cheers.....Dave
    badass, Jan 22, 2004

  2. badass

    badass Guest

    "badass" <> wrote in message
    news:nWMPb.58$...
    > I know this can be done but it's a long time since i did it and i forget
    > (old age).
    >
    > when you create an Email link (url) you can add additional info to
    > pre-insert the subject into the email.
    >
    > anyone give me the syntax for this?
    >
    > Cheers.....Dave

    It goes something like this.... "<! a href="mailto:"
    subject="whatever"> Here</a>"

    but this don't work.....
    badass, Jan 22, 2004

  3. badass

    Michel Guest

    mailto:?subject=test

    Michel

    Michel, Jan 22, 2004
  4. badass

    badass Guest

    Thanks..... Dave

    badass, Jan 22, 2004
  5. badass

    PeterMcC Guest

    badass <> wrote in
    <nWMPb.58$>

    > I know this can be done but it's a long time since i did it and i
    > forget (old age).
    >
    > when you create an Email link (url) you can add additional info to
    > pre-insert the subject into the email.
    >
    > anyone give me the syntax for this?

    The syntax is at:
    http://www.html-faq.com/email/?emailsubject

    And the warnings are at:
    http://www.isolani.co.uk/articles/mailto.html

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, Jan 22, 2004
  6. badass

    Josh Guest

    badass wrote in message ...
    > when you create an Email link (url) you can add additional info to
    > pre-insert the subject into the email.

    website&amp;body=Could you please send me some information about your
    offers which I saw on your website.&amp;"></a>

    That will fill the subject line and some of the body

    website&amp;"></a>

    This will fill the subject line only
    Josh, Jan 22, 2004
  7. badass

    Michel Guest

    yw dude,

    Michel, Jan 22, 2004
  8. badass

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:nWMPb.58$>
    "badass" <> said:

    > when you create an Email link (url) you can add additional info to
    > pre-insert the subject into the email.

    you cannot tell how the persons computer that is emailing you is
    configured, they can have all sorts of browser/email client/operating
    system configurations, they may not even have an email client. putting
    anything other than the email address in an email link produces
    unpredictable results that could cause the email to be lost forever in
    the most putrid burning pit of hell (or somewhere like that).

    you need a form and server side script if you want to have subjects or
    bodies automatically added to your emails.

    <quote>
    RFC1738 Uniform Resource Locators (URL)
    3.5. MAILTO The mailto URL scheme is used to designate the Internet
    mailing address of an individual or service. No additional information
    other than an Internet mailing address is present or implied.
    </quote> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt [1]

    RFC2368 The mailto URL scheme updates the above[2] but it hasn't been
    universally adopted and/or the persons particular configuration may
    cause problems and/or people use non-supporting UAs which either causes
    problems on the client machine and/or with the servers the email is
    processed through (or none at all).

    the point is you _and_ the person emailing you don't know if it's going
    to work or not and most likely wont know when it doesn't work.

    another point to consider is that you're insulting the intelligence of
    your visitors. are you saying by filling out the subject that you
    consider the visitor incapable of determining the subject for
    themselves? how do you know what the subject of the email is going to be
    anyway? are you saying you know better than your visitors what the
    subject should be? if you're so all knowing why would the visitor need
    to email you in the first place?

    [1] W3C HTML uses URLs as defined in RFC1738 and RFC1808

    [2] RFC3600 (Oct 2, 2003) defines RFC2368 only as a proposed standard.

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude
    brucie, Jan 22, 2004