Embarrassing regex question

Aaron Fude

Hi,

I try the following and it produces no matches:

Pattern pattern = Pattern.compile("ab*s");
Matcher matcher = pattern.matcher("abacus");

while (matcher.find()) {
System.out.println(matcher.start() + " " + matcher.end());
}

I must not understand regular expressions at all. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Eric Sosman

I try the following and it produces no matches:

Pattern pattern = Pattern.compile("ab*s");
Matcher matcher = pattern.matcher("abacus");

while (matcher.find()) {
System.out.println(matcher.start() + " " + matcher.end());
}

I must not understand regular expressions at all. What am I missing?

What Stefan Ram said, to which I might add that you probably
want "ab.*s" as your pattern.

Joshua Cranmer

Hi,

I try the following and it produces no matches:

Pattern pattern = Pattern.compile("ab*s");
Matcher matcher = pattern.matcher("abacus");

while (matcher.find()) {
System.out.println(matcher.start() + " " + matcher.end());
}

I must not understand regular expressions at all. What am I missing?

What you are probably attempting is a form often known as "globbing" as
opposed to the standard regex or Perl-compatible regex.

Daniel Pitts

Hi,

I try the following and it produces no matches:

Pattern pattern = Pattern.compile("ab*s");
Matcher matcher = pattern.matcher("abacus");

while (matcher.find()) {
System.out.println(matcher.start() + " " + matcher.end());
}

I must not understand regular expressions at all. What am I missing?

Thanks!
In regex, "*" indicates 0 or more repetitions of the previous atom. In
other words, your patter will match one 'a', followed by any number of
'b', followed by an 's'

abacus does not match that description.

You can use the '.' character, which matches any. so "ab.*s" (as
someone else has pointed out), WILL match abacus.