    ------------------------------------
    Gernot Frisch
    http://www.glbasic.com
    Gernot Frisch, Dec 4, 2008

  2. Gernot Frisch

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Dec 4, 3:24 am, "Gernot Frisch" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > what is the easiest, and most compatible way of embedding a FLV video in a
    > website?
    > I tried with a flash thing I found, but it's only working in FF, not IE.

    Do you only have the isolated .flv or both the .flv(flash video) and
    the .swf flash container file? When one encodes a modern flv/swf flash
    video using perhaps a high resolution .mpg as input, one gets both
    a .flv and a .swf file as output. The .flv contains the movie video
    information. The .swf is a container file of small byte size that
    contains the player, along with possible text, links, logos, etc. One
    puts both files up on the server. You only use the .swf reference in
    code to play the video. The .swf file is linked internally to the .flv
    file on the server and causes it to start downloading to the browser
    temporary cache. This is the proper way to use a .flv. Unfortunately
    people found ways to grab the .flv file from the temporary cache of
    the browser, but usually the .swf container file is not captured. You
    often would not want it anyway, because of logos, links back to a
    server, etc that it may contain. With the right video programs, one
    can generate a new swf container file, which is the proper way to go
    as a flv is a flash thing and flash is now installed on most modern
    computers. However some players have been developed that will play an
    isolated flv with the same boring standard player unlike the custom
    players you can make using a proper flv/swf encoder. However you can
    not count on most computers being able to play an isolated flv. The
    situation is now a bit better, because the Real 11 player and some
    other often used players now will play an isolated flv.

    I have embedded proper flv/swf movies on web pages that play on most
    modern browsers. However I strongly disapprove of embedding an
    isolated flv on a web site because of the mentioned limitations. If
    one only has an isolated flv, it would be better to offer it as a
    download only for those who have a flv capable player. I suggest
    either using a proper flv/swf or encoding the video in another format
    with wide support.
    cwdjrxyz, Dec 4, 2008

  3. I don't care about copy protection. I just have the nakes flv file (made
    with ffmpeg), so where can I get the swf file?
    Gernot Frisch, Dec 4, 2008
  4. Gernot Frisch

    +mrcakey Guest

    "Gernot Frisch" <> wrote in message

    > I don't care about copy protection. I just have the nakes flv file (made
    > with ffmpeg), so where can I get the swf file?

    This is a great player. Free for non-commercial use and it supports captions
    too.

    http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Player

    +mrcakey
    +mrcakey, Dec 4, 2008
  5. Gernot Frisch

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:24:41 +0100, "Gernot Frisch" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >what is the easiest, and most compatible way of embedding a FLV video in a
    >website?
    >I tried with a flash thing I found, but it's only working in FF, not IE.

    www.swishzone.com

    Get swish video 3. $40. 15 day free trial.

    it will create the swf file for you.
    You then need to run both as a pair.
    It can also create the html page you need so you can just play the
    video locally or on a website.

    The swf file has nothing to do with content other than video such as
    logos or text. That's done in the editing of the movie itself.
    richard, Dec 4, 2008
  6. Gernot Frisch

    rf Guest

    "+mrcakey" <> wrote in message
    > "Gernot Frisch" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I don't care about copy protection. I just have the nakes flv file (made
    >> with ffmpeg), so where can I get the swf file?
    >>

    > This is a great player. Free for non-commercial use and it supports
    > captions too.
    >
    > http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Player

    Is this a browoser plugin? The web site doesn't state so up front.

    If it is then why should I download another bloody plugin to watch stuff
    that moves around my browser canvas which I wan't NOT.
    rf, Dec 5, 2008
  7. Gernot Frisch

    +mrcakey Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > "+mrcakey" <> wrote in message
    >> "Gernot Frisch" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I don't care about copy protection. I just have the nakes flv file (made
    >>> with ffmpeg), so where can I get the swf file?
    >>>

    >> This is a great player. Free for non-commercial use and it supports
    >> captions too.
    >>
    >> http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Player

    > Is this a browoser plugin? The web site doesn't state so up front.
    >
    > If it is then why should I download another bloody plugin to watch stuff
    > that moves around my browser canvas which I wan't NOT.

    It's a Flash movie that accepts FLV files as input parameters. No plugin
    necessary other than Flash which I would assume you already have.

    +mrcakey
    +mrcakey, Dec 5, 2008
  8. Gernot Frisch

    rf Guest

    "+mrcakey" <> wrote in message
    > "rf" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "+mrcakey" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Gernot Frisch" <> wrote in message

    >>> This is a great player. Free for non-commercial use and it supports
    >>> captions too.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Player

    >> Is this a browoser plugin? The web site doesn't state so up front.
    >>
    >> If it is then why should I download another bloody plugin to watch stuff
    >> that moves around my browser canvas which I wan't NOT.

    > It's a Flash movie that accepts FLV files as input parameters. No plugin
    > necessary other than Flash which I would assume you already have.

    No, actually, I don't.
    rf, Dec 5, 2008
  9. Gernot Frisch

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Dec 5, 5:58 am, "+mrcakey" <> wrote:
    > "rf" <> wrote in message

    > > "+mrcakey" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Gernot Frisch" <> wrote in message

    > >> This is a great player. Free for non-commercial use and it supports
    > >> captions too.

    > >>http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Player

    > > Is this a browoser plugin? The web site doesn't state so up front.

    > > If it is then why should I download another bloody plugin to watch stuff
    > > that moves around my browser canvas which I wan't NOT.

    > It's a Flash movie that accepts FLV files as input parameters. No plugin
    > necessary other than Flash which I would assume you already have.

    It should be made very clear that there are now 2 types of flash
    movies being used. The old method only contains a swf single file that
    includes the movie and sometimes added text, etc. This old method has
    severe limitations for high resolution videos, so some update was
    needed when one wanted flash video capable of much higher quality. The
    flv/swf movie was the result. You may not be able to tell a flv/swf
    format is being used from source code, as only a swf flash file is
    called. As explained in my first post, the swf portion internally
    links to the flv video portion th now be played alone on some players
    especially made for it without a swf container file, but such special
    players are not available on nearly as many computers as is flash
    which was designed to play a flv using a swf container file. The main
    merit that such players for flv only have is convenience for those who
    rip the flv portion of a flv/swf video from sites such as YouTube,
    MySpace, etc that mainly use the flv/swf format. If you also ripped
    the .swf part of the flv/swf from the site, you could put up the flv/
    swf video as intended, but that would not be what many who rip such
    videos would want. It often would contain logos for the site such as
    YouTube or Myspace and it often would contain ads and links back to
    various servers, etc.

    In addition to re-encoding a flv to produce a flv and swf file pair
    that matches it, there are programs to convert an isolated flv to
    other video formats such as wmv.

    It might help to view the code for a flv/swf movie at my site at
    http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/Fatty.php . Notice that there is no
    reference to an flv. Although the flv is on the server, the swf
    container file you link to takes care of linking to the flv
    internally. Also I am using object code that validates at the W3C.
    Many still use embed code, etc that is not valid, but often will work
    anyway. This code allows playing on most recent browsers from IE,
    Firefox, Opera, etc provided of course that the computer has flash
    installed. If the flash people are to be believed, it is installed on
    far more computers than players for any other video formats. However,
    one can offer an assortment of file types at various bit rates to pick
    up more viewers that have only support for .wmv, .rm, .mov, etc
    formats. For video haters and those with extremely slow connections,
    you can always offer a jpg from the movie or text when the movie
    format is not supported if you wish. Or in many cases, if the movie
    format is not supported, It just does not appear on the screen of the
    monitor, and a viewer will not even know a video was included unless
    the source code is viewed.
    cwdjrxyz, Dec 6, 2008
  10. Gernot Frisch

    Stephanee

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    If the Flash file is only work for FF, not IE, the possible reason is the HTML tag you used to embed the Flash file to web page. It is necessary that the 'EMBED' tag is nested in the 'OBJECT' tag.
    The easiest way to add FLV to web page is to use already done flash video player. I use the program called Moyea web player Pro, it is also free for non-commercial use.
    Stephanee, Apr 28, 2009