embed flv video

Gernot Frisch

Hi,

what is the easiest, and most compatible way of embedding a FLV video in a
website?
I tried with a flash thing I found, but it's only working in FF, not IE.

cwdjrxyz

Hi,

what is the easiest, and most compatible way of embedding a FLV video in a
website?
I tried with a flash thing I found, but it's only working in FF, not IE.

Do you only have the isolated .flv or both the .flv(flash video) and
the .swf flash container file? When one encodes a modern flv/swf flash
video using perhaps a high resolution .mpg as input, one gets both
a .flv and a .swf file as output. The .flv contains the movie video
information. The .swf is a container file of small byte size that
contains the player, along with possible text, links, logos, etc. One
puts both files up on the server. You only use the .swf reference in
code to play the video. The .swf file is linked internally to the .flv
file on the server and causes it to start downloading to the browser
temporary cache. This is the proper way to use a .flv. Unfortunately
people found ways to grab the .flv file from the temporary cache of
the browser, but usually the .swf container file is not captured. You
often would not want it anyway, because of logos, links back to a
server, etc that it may contain. With the right video programs, one
can generate a new swf container file, which is the proper way to go
as a flv is a flash thing and flash is now installed on most modern
computers. However some players have been developed that will play an
isolated flv with the same boring standard player unlike the custom
players you can make using a proper flv/swf encoder. However you can
not count on most computers being able to play an isolated flv. The
situation is now a bit better, because the Real 11 player and some
other often used players now will play an isolated flv.

I have embedded proper flv/swf movies on web pages that play on most
modern browsers. However I strongly disapprove of embedding an
isolated flv on a web site because of the mentioned limitations. If
one only has an isolated flv, it would be better to offer it as a
download only for those who have a flv capable player. I suggest
either using a proper flv/swf or encoding the video in another format
with wide support.

Gernot Frisch

I don't care about copy protection. I just have the nakes flv file (made
with ffmpeg), so where can I get the swf file?

richard

Hi,

what is the easiest, and most compatible way of embedding a FLV video in a
website?
I tried with a flash thing I found, but it's only working in FF, not IE.

www.swishzone.com

Get swish video 3. $40. 15 day free trial.

it will create the swf file for you.
You then need to run both as a pair.
It can also create the html page you need so you can just play the
video locally or on a website.

The swf file has nothing to do with content other than video such as
logos or text. That's done in the editing of the movie itself.

+mrcakey

rf said:
Is this a browoser plugin? The web site doesn't state so up front.

If it is then why should I download another bloody plugin to watch stuff
that moves around my browser canvas which I wan't NOT.

It's a Flash movie that accepts FLV files as input parameters. No plugin
necessary other than Flash which I would assume you already have.

+mrcakey

rf

+mrcakey said:
It's a Flash movie that accepts FLV files as input parameters. No plugin
necessary other than Flash which I would assume you already have.

No, actually, I don't.

cwdjrxyz

It's a Flash movie that accepts FLV files as input parameters. No plugin
necessary other than Flash which I would assume you already have.

It should be made very clear that there are now 2 types of flash
movies being used. The old method only contains a swf single file that
includes the movie and sometimes added text, etc. This old method has
severe limitations for high resolution videos, so some update was
needed when one wanted flash video capable of much higher quality. The
flv/swf movie was the result. You may not be able to tell a flv/swf
format is being used from source code, as only a swf flash file is
called. As explained in my first post, the swf portion internally
links to the flv video portion th now be played alone on some players
especially made for it without a swf container file, but such special
players are not available on nearly as many computers as is flash
which was designed to play a flv using a swf container file. The main
merit that such players for flv only have is convenience for those who
rip the flv portion of a flv/swf video from sites such as YouTube,
MySpace, etc that mainly use the flv/swf format. If you also ripped
the .swf part of the flv/swf from the site, you could put up the flv/
swf video as intended, but that would not be what many who rip such
videos would want. It often would contain logos for the site such as
YouTube or Myspace and it often would contain ads and links back to
various servers, etc.

In addition to re-encoding a flv to produce a flv and swf file pair
that matches it, there are programs to convert an isolated flv to
other video formats such as wmv.

It might help to view the code for a flv/swf movie at my site at
http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/Fatty.php . Notice that there is no
reference to an flv. Although the flv is on the server, the swf
container file you link to takes care of linking to the flv
internally. Also I am using object code that validates at the W3C.
Many still use embed code, etc that is not valid, but often will work
anyway. This code allows playing on most recent browsers from IE,
Firefox, Opera, etc provided of course that the computer has flash
installed. If the flash people are to be believed, it is installed on
far more computers than players for any other video formats. However,
one can offer an assortment of file types at various bit rates to pick
up more viewers that have only support for .wmv, .rm, .mov, etc
formats. For video haters and those with extremely slow connections,
you can always offer a jpg from the movie or text when the movie
format is not supported if you wish. Or in many cases, if the movie
format is not supported, It just does not appear on the screen of the
monitor, and a viewer will not even know a video was included unless
the source code is viewed.

Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

--
Gernot Frisch

If the Flash file is only work for FF, not IE, the possible reason is the HTML tag you used to embed the Flash file to web page. It is necessary that the 'EMBED' tag is nested in the 'OBJECT' tag.
The easiest way to add FLV to web page is to use already done flash video player. I use the program called Moyea web player Pro, it is also free for non-commercial use.