Embed Mplayer into Web page.

pjsenthil

Hi

I am design a webpage in which i need to open a video file and
play it.I thought of embedding a Mplayer.

How can i do that in a webpage.Is there any class ID for Mplayer.and

Normally for QT or WMP we use object tag and class id..

do help me..

Regards
Senthil

cwdjrxyz

I am design a webpage in which i need to open a video file and
play it.I thought of embedding a Mplayer.

How can i do that in a webpage.Is there any class ID for Mplayer.and

Normally for QT or WMP we use object tag and class id..

Yes you can correctly embed several types of video and audio in a web
page using the WMP, Real, or QT player. See
http://www.cwdjr.info/broadbandMedia/ for examples and view the source
code. Please note these examples are for high speed broadband and
buffer and start streaming soon if you have a 3 Mbps or higher download
connection and the net is not conjested. However you can use the same
code for videos recorded at a much lower bit rate suitable for even
dialup, although quality will leave much to be desired. Also note that
for the WMP the code uses a redirector(playlist) wvx url rather than
that of an actual wmv url. This allows including one to many files that
will play in sequence once the start button is clicked. Also about the
same thing is done for the Real player where ram playlist files are
used to redirect to the actual rm video files. Examples of how ram and
wvx files are written can be found at
http://www.cwdjr.info/media/playersRoot.php. There are many programs
available that will let you convert a high resolution video to the same
or another format at a smaller bit rate if this is needed for dialup,
for example. If you use only one player, I suggest the WMP, as more
have this player installed than any other player. You can store your
video files on an ordinary html server. However, those with huge and
busy video sites usually use a special streaming server. A streaming
server better controls the download rate and gives a more steady
stream. Using a streaming server, you can also write combined video
files for perhaps 3 bit rates and write code for the player to
automatically select the best download stream for the browsers IP
connection speed.

Benjamin Niemann

I am design a webpage in which i need to open a video file and
play it.I thought of embedding a Mplayer.

How can i do that in a webpage.Is there any class ID for Mplayer.and

Normally for QT or WMP we use object tag and class id..

mplayer is not really a widely available application (I have, but even I
prefer an embeded kaffeine which in turn uses libxine...).

Use the OBJECT element to embed video files[*]. Specify the video format
using the TYPE attribute (e.g. video/mpeg). Let the browser figure out
which plugin is most appropriate to handle this format (which in 99.x% will
not be mplayer...).

[*] - If you *really* think that you have to embed it, instead of providing
a link for manual opening of the video. Watching videos in a standalone
player is usually much more confortable (e.g. you can resize it or play it
fullscreen). Most players support streaming (just like their plugin
counterparts), if the video is opened via the URL.

Toby Inkster

pjsenthil said:
Normally for QT or WMP we use object tag and class id..

That is your downfall.

Try:

<object data="mymovie.mpeg" type="video/mpeg" height="240" width="320">
</object>

Then the browser should be able to choose the best plugin available to
handle the data -- on Windows it may be Windows Media Player, on a Mac it
may be Quicktime, on FreeBSD it could be Mplayer, etc...

pjsenthil

Actually my application has to split the video into frame.that
particular option is available only in Mplayer.
So for that particular reason.I want to embedd Mplayer specifically.

i am able to get the idea how to embed a Mplayer on the web page with
out having a classID

one more Example I saw is ..
http://klibb.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/SimpleMplayer
This does not work on the web page...If i access this page from the
server i not able to get.I is giving error..and one more thing it is
creating a activexobject..I Doubt whether it will work on MAC system.

Pl help me in this regard.

Senthil

cwdjrxyz

Actually my application has to split the video into frame.that
particular option is available only in Mplayer.
So for that particular reason.I want to embedd Mplayer specifically.

After looking at some of your posts to other groups, it seems that you
want some captures of video frames to make thumbnails. I just did this.
I played a DVD file with the Cyberlink player and paused it at the
frame I wished to capture. You could use any other player that will
play the type of video file you have and that allows you to pause and
navigate back and forward. I then used the free Gadwin screen capture
program to capture the paused frame from the screen by pressing the
print screen button. I then went to Paintshop Pro and pasted the
captured frame in there. You can change size, crop, etc and then output
in any of several formats such as jpg, gif.

I am in the US and know that Linux browsers are more used in some other
countries than here. Linux based servers are much more common, and in
fact I use one. However, if you are going to do much media work, it is
very important that you have either a recent Windows or Mac OS. The
reason is that many of the most used audio and video processing
programs only come in versions suitable for these systems. For example
my DVD-Audio burning program from Minnetonka only is available for
Windows or Mac. Companies that write such programs often are small and
cater to a small special group of media developers. It is just not
worth their time to develop Linux versions in many cases. The main
reason they often have a version that works with Mac, despite the small
number of Mac systems in use, is that many Hollywood media pros will
have nothing but a Mac for their work.

I looked at the documentation for the Mplayer. It often requires much
work to set up and configure. That may be OK for people who post at
groups such as this. However, the reality in the US today is that many
consider a computer as just another hosehold appliance and that it
should be ready to work when it is unpacked. Most of the computer
makers deliver the computer with the WMP, Real and QT players installed
as well as flash. The player makers want their players on computers
because many of them sell video and audio. They thus are happy to let
the computer makers install their players for free. A few of the very
low end computers sold here have a Linux related or other non-Windows
OS installed to save money. However one then often must buy many
special programs for players etc from the maker of the computer, so
after you do this, many will pay as much as if they bought a main
stream computer in the first place.

Toby Inkster

cwdjrxyz said:
However, if you are going to do much media work, it is very important
that you have either a recent Windows or Mac OS. The reason is that many
of the most used audio and video processing programs only come in
versions suitable for these systems. For example my DVD-Audio burning
program from Minnetonka only is available for Windows or Mac.

For example, my DVD-Audio burning program from K3B is only available for
Linux or BSD.

cwdjrxyz

Toby said:
For example, my DVD-Audio burning program from K3B is only available for
Linux or BSD.

I wonder if we are talking about the same thing. I went to the K3B site
and found no mention of DVD-Audio (DVD-A). I am talking about the up to
6 channel high resolution DVD-A format that has nothing to do with the
audio tracks burned on ordinary CDs or DVDs. It is a very high
resolution audio format that is recorded on a DVD just as SACD is a
special high resolution format that is recorded on a CD. Both formats
require modern players that can read them, although some release hybrid
discs with an added normal degraded audio track that will play on older
CD and DVD players. Some commercial releases are available in both
formats. See http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/ for professional programs
used to create and process DVD-A discs. I am using the Diskwelder
bronze program to create and burn basic DVD-A discs. This basic
program costs $US 100. Some of the pro programs they have for mixing
multi channels and encoding them to multi channel formats such as Dolby
surround, and adding graphics to the DVD-A discs, as you need to do if
you are reconding DVD-A for commercial release, cost into the thousands
of dollars. Also notice that these programs are available in Windows
and Mac versions.

pjsenthil

Thanx for your support..

I have tried Gadwin screen capture it is working..and it very
good..since it is getting client window also.without the need for
editing the thumd nail.
but mine is an internet application.where the video will be running on
the client side.

the user will be working on some video..in that he need to capture a
frame and store back to server..then how can i use.the gadwin cature.

since it has to be prior loaded on to the system.

so if i could be able to control or capture from my code...may be
javascript that executes on the client system, then it will work out in
my case.but i am not able to get that.

Do u have gadwin screen capture ,how it works.how he is able to capture
the screen in windows media player,only the highlighted portion ie the
video content.How he could have got that.Some method should be there to
get that.but i am not getting...

Regards
Senthil

cwdjrxyz

I have tried Gadwin screen capture it is working..and it very
good..since it is getting client window also.without the need for
editing the thumd nail.
but mine is an internet application.where the video will be running on
the client side.

the user will be working on some video..in that he need to capture a
frame and store back to server..then how can i use.the gadwin cature.

since it has to be prior loaded on to the system.

I used Gadwin to capture a frame from one of my videos playing from my
site. It used the WMP, but the type of player does not matter. I set up
Gadwin to capture as jpg at 100% quality. I set up to capture from a
selected rectangle from the screen image. You can then capture just the
video image or part of it. I set up Gadwin to save the capture in a
file on the computer. It stored the image as ScreenShot001.jpg. If you
captured another frame also, the next one would be saved as
ScreenShot002.jpg. I then minimized the screen viewing the web site and
brought up my CuteFTP Professional FTP client. After connecting to my
site, I uploaded the ScreenShot001.jpg to a desired directory on the
site. See it at http://www.cwdjr.net/pic/ScreenShot001.jpg . Then I
turned the FTP client off and went back to the web page from which I
made the capture. I have no idea what you wish to do once you have the
capture on the server. If you are wanting to do something that involves
the web page from which the capture was made, this likely will require
some server side language that could be C++, Java, php, etc depending
on what you wish to do and could range from easy to very complex. If
you want someone else to send the capture to the server, you will have
to set up the server to allow others to upload to it via ftp which will
likely require a password to be safe. Or you can set up anonymous ftp
for visitor upload that does not require a password. If you do that, be
sure to set a bandwidth limit for the ftp uploads, or some spammer or
hacker may fill your server with junk. Just how to set up the ftp
depends on the server, the host, how the control panel is set up etc.
Everyone has to research this on their own for the server being used.

I V

After looking at some of your posts to other groups, it seems that you
want some captures of video frames to make thumbnails. I just did this.
I played a DVD file with the Cyberlink player and paused it at the
frame I wished to capture. You could use any other player that will
play the type of video file you have and that allows you to pause and
navigate back and forward. I then used the free Gadwin screen capture
program to capture the paused frame from the screen by pressing the
print screen button. I then went to Paintshop Pro and pasted the

That seems rather clumsy. Why not just use the frame-capture feature in
your media player?

cwdjrxyz

I said:
That seems rather clumsy. Why not just use the frame-capture feature in
your media player?

If I read the intention right, it is desired to capture the frame from
the video by users other than just the owner of the site with the
video, and then get the captured frame back to the server of the owner
to do I-know-not-what there. If one can capture the video from a frame
capture feature of the player - fine. However we are talking about a
..wmv video file. This can be played by the WMP, Real, QT, Winamp, and
several lesser known players as well as special players that come with
some video processing programs. Not knowing what player some viewer may
use, I am not certain that all players out there have a screen capture
feature. The free Gadwin and other like capture programs will let you
capture just about anything that you can view on the screen, and it is
easy and quick to use. The largest problem now likely is what one has
to do on the server once someone uploads the captured frame to it via
ftp or some other method. This could easily involve some rather complex
server side language even including higher level languages such as C++.

Toby Inkster

cwdjrxyz said:
This could easily involve some rather complex server side language even
including higher level languages such as C++.

C++ is higher level?!

cwdjrxyz

Toby said:
C++ is higher level?!

Yes, higher level than, for example, Javascript, in that it is a much
more complete and extensive language. It is of course of a lower level
than the languages being used on a most up to date Cray system being
used for special research problems in the computing center of a major
petroleum company within a few blocks of where I live. They have a
building with no windows, extensive security devices, and several
guards. When someone is fired, the pink slip is delivered without
previous notice by an armed security guard, who remains for about 15
minutes while they pack their personal things. The guard then escorts
them to the door and locks it. Of course the work going on there is
secret, but oil exploration using computer analysis of seismic data
collected from small underground explosions and other data is done by
most large petroleum companies, and no computer is large or fast enough
to do every type of analysis the exploration experts would like to do.
Back down to PC earth, one often can use many different languages to do
the same thing on a server, although some may work better than others
for a given application.. The choice often depends on the skills of the
programmer. Some choices would be C++, even Fortran, Java, PHP, Perl,
and many more. Of course compilers for some of these languages must be
installed on the server, which may not be the case for rented server
space from a host.

Toby Inkster

cwdjrxyz said:
Yes, [C++ is] higher level than, for example, Javascript, in that it is
a much more complete and extensive language.

Your usage of the term "higher level" is seriously at odds with the way
most programmers would use it. High level languages are the most abstract
ones -- the ones that hide away the internal workings of the computer.

C++ allows, and in some cases requires you to specify memory addresses,
data type sizes and so forth, so is generally considered a fairly low
level programming language. C is even lower level as it doesn't include
object-orientation; Assembly language is very low level; and machine code
is about as low level as you can get.

Javascript, being an interpreted programming language with no direct
access to memory addresses, built-in functions for common input/output,
and object orientation is generally considered fairly high-level.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-level_programming_language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-level_programming_language

cwdjrxyz

Toby said:
cwdjrxyz said:
[...]

Which includes:
"Note that the terms "high-level" and "low-level" are inherently
relative. Originally, assembly language was considered low-level and
COBOL, C, etc. were considered high-level, as they allowed the
abstractions of functions, variables and expression evaluation, and
also that they had to be compiled to assembly before being compiled
into machine code. Many programmers today might refer to C as
low-level, as it still allows memory to be accessed by address, and
provides direct access to the assembly level."

An about face, if I ever saw one. I much prefer the earlier usage
refered to above. Of course, with such a history of usage, the term low
and high level now should not be used because it now can cause
confusion. So I guess we should all just specify the language involved.

By the way, I try not to use Wikipedia and other such online sources
that depend on user input. Too much garbage often creeps in such
sources. I either want a reference that has been properly edited by a
better publisher(university presses etc) or that comes from a properly
peer reviewed scientific or engineering journal source.

I have programmed in Fortran IV, but never Cobol, which mainly was
used by business types. I even earlier programmed in Algo and Intercom
for the Bendix (G15?) which was one of the earliest computers with
widespread usage in the US. Algo was a modified watered down version of
Algol and this language looked a bit like Fortran. Intercom was much
closer to a machine language. I know were there was still one of the
old Bendix computers in usage just a few years ago. It had been highly
modified in the distant past to automate collection of thermodymanic
data. It still did what was needed, and since a new computer would have
required extensive program development, no one wanted to replace it
until they absolutely had to. The computer output was to huge magnetic
tape units and a modified IBM electric typewriter operated by solenoids
attached to the keys. I hear that some who used this machine once tried
to get a steno to have a speed typing contest with the machine, but she
would have nothing to do with it.

About the lowest level computer(in the sense that I and many others
used it at the time) that I ever programmed was an ancient control
computer made by some division of North American Philips. It had core
memory and used octal. I hear that it was once used in military
airplanes, and it was extremely reliable. The programs were all octal
numbers. The first part of the number specified what type of operation
was to be done, and the second part specified core memory location. The
main thing the computer did was interface to about 20 controls that
monitored temperatures, water flow, positions etc. It ran a stepping
motor that changed angles by increments of a few tenths of seconds of
one degree. The machine ran unattended overnight. If problems were
detected, it was automatically shut down. Since the control computer
was good for only the most basic calculations, data was collected on
tape. The next day the data was routed into the large house computer
for analysis. This was in the earlier days of large house computers
with many terminals scattered around labs and offices. Many were tape
and print only rather than CRT displays. My programs were monsters for
the time and required repeated inversion of huge matrices, and
sometimes required hours to run. Time sharing was then still a bit
crude. My programs would slow down the system for others to a snails
pace at certain points. The computing department had to call in
programmers from the computer company several times to make the time
sharing work better.

Toby Inkster

cwdjrxyz said:
An about face, if I ever saw one. I much prefer the earlier usage
refered to above. Of course, with such a history of usage, the term low
and high level now should not be used because it now can cause
confusion. So I guess we should all just specify the language involved.

Not at all.

Consider the terms "cheap" and "expensive". 10 years ago, a 400 MHz
Pentium II Celeron computer with 32 MB RAM and 3.2 GB hard disk for £350
would be considered cheap. Today, paying the same amount for the same
computer would be considered very expensive.

In London, 30 deg C is considered a hot summer's day; but in Sydney it's
not; if the Sun's surface temperature suddenly dropped to 30 deg C,
astronomers would count that as a very cold spell.

This doesn't make the terms "cheap" and "expensive", or "hot" and "cold"
confuding though; one simply realises that these things lie along a scale;
A can be hot compared against B, but cold compared with C.

Similarly, C++ is high-level compared with Assembly code, but *low-level*
compared with Javascript.
By the way, I try not to use Wikipedia and other such online sources
that depend on user input.

Then you're missing out -- for the most part it's a very well-written and
useful resource. Of course, like all references you should weigh up what
it has to say; consider the knowledge levels and potential biases of all
its contributors and editors; and compare the information with that from
other authorities.

If you'd prefer:
http://foldoc.org/foldoc.cgi?low-level+language
http://foldoc.org/foldoc.cgi?high-level+languages

cwdjrxyz

Toby said:
cwdjrxyz wrote:

To put the portion of my reply that you quote below in context, the
following should also have been quoted:

[...]

If you like, but I don't like. I guess we can agree to disagree.
Because of the very limited scope of what Javascript can do compared
with C++ or even Fortran IV, for that matter, it is a very low level
language in the sense of the variety of things it can do. Moreover it
does not have to be compiled as do C++ and Fortran, and in the past
having to be compiled was one basis for considering a language as being
higher level as when comparing Fortran to assembly language. Really all
of this is of little importance, at least to me. When it comes to
working with real programs the exact language and version you use is
what is important, not the position of it in an arbitrary pecking
order. This discussion has been a bit more interesting than the weekend
crossword puzzle, but the weekend is over, the parrot needs a bath, and
hopefully he will not bite me!