<embed> tag no longer supported! what to use instead?

Andy B

I am trying to embed mp3 files in a web page by using the <embed> tag. Every
time I save the page I get xhtml validation(): embed tag no longer
supported. When I run the page... I get nothing at all. I even tried this
with a flash swf file and that never worked either. Still get validation
errors and IE7 refuses to run it...any ideas on how to fix this?

Dathan

I am trying to embed mp3 files in a web page by using the <embed> tag. Every
time I save the page I get xhtml validation(): embed tag no longer
supported. When I run the page... I get nothing at all. I even tried this
with a flash swf file and that never worked either. Still get validation
errors and IE7 refuses to run it...any ideas on how to fix this?

Use the HTML <object> tag instead. Embed is depreciated. If you have
to use it then you could try rendering the page in quirks mode by
leaving out the Doctype.

Andy B

How do you use <object> on the serverside? I try it and it says class,
classID or progID is required even though I have no use for them (whatever
they are)...

I am trying to embed mp3 files in a web page by using the <embed> tag.
Every
time I save the page I get xhtml validation(): embed tag no longer
supported. When I run the page... I get nothing at all. I even tried this
with a flash swf file and that never worked either. Still get validation
errors and IE7 refuses to run it...any ideas on how to fix this?

Use the HTML <object> tag instead. Embed is depreciated. If you have
to use it then you could try rendering the page in quirks mode by
leaving out the Doctype.

Coskun SUNALI [MVP]

Hi,

Object tag needs to know its classID or progID properties to find out what
activex object it will embed to the browser.

You may want to read about it on the web. There should be a lot of examples
and resources.

If you can't manage to find some samples, I will try to help you in advance.

--
All the best,
Coskun SUNALI