Embed UserControl in IE from local assembly or GAC ?

Jeff Turner

I want to install a few .NET assemblies on the local machine and then
embed a UserControl in IE via COM -- in other words, I will wrap the
assembly in COM and call it form IE so that my UserControl (that is
installed locally) shows up on a web page.

Has anyone done anything like this before? I can't imagine this isn't
possible. Basically I want to leverage a .NET assembly installed on the
local machine from inside the browser (with permissions granted from
the user, of course).

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Peter Rilling

The problem you will face is that the control is processed by IIS before
being given to the browser. IE knows nothing about the UserControl or
ASP.NET, but rather just renders the HTML. It is not really a matter of how
to get the UserControl rendered in IE. As long as it is given HTML, it is
fine. The problem is, what will process the ASP.NET code and generate the
HTML.

jtdotnet

Peter - thanks for the reply.

I should clarify, that when I say "UserControl", I'm talking about a
WinForm UserControl, not an ASPNET control...

In more detail I'm actually trying to display a video preview window
from a webcam attached to the local machine that I control through a
(winform) UserControl installed on the local machine.

Jeff Turner

Peter, thanks for the reply.

I should clarify that when I say "UserControl" I'm talking about a
WinForm UserControl, not an ASPNET control...

In more detail, I'm trying to display a live video feed from a webcam
through a (winform) UserControl that is installed locally.

So I'm really trying to embed a WinForm control in the browser but I
want that control to be installed locally so it can have a specific set
of permissions that are set on install.