Embedded Database for Java Desktop

JamesY

Hi,

What is the best embedded database (low cost or free) that I can use for a
Java Accounting Desktop Application?

Regards,
james

David Segall

JamesY said:
Hi,

What is the best embedded database (low cost or free) that I can use for a
Java Accounting Desktop Application?

Regards,
james
There is an interesting comparison of three of these here
<http://jamie.ideasasylum.com/notebook/index.php?id=4>. Be sure to
read the supplementary notes that explain the fact that HSQLDB's
dramatic speed advantage is because it was tested with the data base
in RAM.

If you are interested in using Derby I suggest you download Cloudscape
<http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/cloudscape/> as well or instead.
It comes with documentation to IBM's standards and an ODBC driver if
you want to use Access as a front end.

JamesY

JamesY said:
Is prevayler suitable to be used in a desktop environment?
Hi,

After reading some comments on the net, I conclude that my app isn't
suitable, to use prevayler. Thanks for the intro, Stephan

Regards,
James

JamesY

JamesY said:
Hi,

What is the best embedded database (low cost or free) that I can use for a
Java Accounting Desktop Application?

Regards,
james

Thanks all for the feedbacks ;-)

I will use HSQLDB. ^-^

Lee Fesperman

JamesY said:
Hi,

What is the best embedded database (low cost or free) that I can use for a
Java Accounting Desktop Application?

Take a look at our product (see my sig). You can use our free version (Pro Lite). Or, we
can give you reasonable pricing on the embedded version, which is chock full of features
including in-memory operation and true support for Java objects.

Richard Wheeldon

Bryce said:
Berkley DB is free. Haven't used it (yet).

I have. Personally I'd stick with a relational database engine. HSQL is
a good starter. Then you can easily migrate to an external db with
better scalability (e.g. postgres, oracle) if needed,

Richard

Bryce

I have. Personally I'd stick with a relational database engine. HSQL is
a good starter. Then you can easily migrate to an external db with
better scalability (e.g. postgres, oracle) if needed,

True, but I thought the OP wanted to embed the DB in the application.
As in not requiring an external dtabase server.

Lee Fesperman

Bryce said:
True, but I thought the OP wanted to embed the DB in the application.
As in not requiring an external dtabase server.

It still gives him the option to migrate to a more capable and scalable embedded DBMS
;^)

cgokey

I've had very good success with Mckoi, it is a very fast stable open
source
database. But it carries with it a LGPL license that has some
restrictions
with how it can be used and deployed.