Embedded Database for Java Desktop

Discussion in 'Java' started by Thomas Kellerer, Mar 17, 2005.

  1. Thomas Kellerer, Mar 17, 2005

  2. Thomas Kellerer

    JamesY Guest

    Hi,

    What is the best embedded database (low cost or free) that I can use for a
    Java Accounting Desktop Application?

    Regards,
    james

    JamesY, Mar 17, 2005

  3. Thomas Kellerer <> wrote:
    > On 17.03.2005 10:23 JamesY wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > What is the best embedded database (low cost or free) that I can use for a
    > > Java Accounting Desktop Application?

    No database: www.prevayler.org

    Stephan

    Stephan Eggermont, Mar 17, 2005
  4. Thomas Kellerer wrote:
    > On 17.03.2005 10:23 JamesY wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>What is the best embedded database (low cost or free) that I can use for a
    >>Java Accounting Desktop Application?
    >>

    > Either HSQLDB
    > http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net
    >
    > or McKoi database
    > http://mckoi.com/database/
    >
    > Thomas

    Don't forget IBM's recently open-sourced Cloudscape...

    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/cloudscape/

    Pan
    TechBookReport Java http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

    TechBookReport, Mar 17, 2005
  5. Thomas Kellerer

    JamesY Guest

    "Stephan Eggermont" <> wrote in message
    > Thomas Kellerer <> wrote:
    > > On 17.03.2005 10:23 JamesY wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > What is the best embedded database (low cost or free) that I can use

    for a
    > > > Java Accounting Desktop Application?

    > No database: www.prevayler.org
    >
    > Stephan

    Is prevayler suitable to be used in a desktop environment?

    JamesY, Mar 17, 2005
  6. Thomas Kellerer

    David Segall Guest

    "JamesY" <JamesY@$com.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >What is the best embedded database (low cost or free) that I can use for a
    >Java Accounting Desktop Application?
    >
    >Regards,
    >james

    There is an interesting comparison of three of these here
    <http://jamie.ideasasylum.com/notebook/index.php?id=4>. Be sure to
    read the supplementary notes that explain the fact that HSQLDB's
    dramatic speed advantage is because it was tested with the data base
    in RAM.

    If you are interested in using Derby I suggest you download Cloudscape
    <http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/cloudscape/> as well or instead.
    It comes with documentation to IBM's standards and an ODBC driver if
    you want to use Access as a front end.

    David Segall, Mar 17, 2005
  7. Thomas Kellerer

    JamesY Guest

    "JamesY" <JamesY@$com.com> wrote in message

    > "Stephan Eggermont" <> wrote in message
    > > Thomas Kellerer <> wrote:

    > for a

    > > No database: www.prevayler.org
    > >
    > > Stephan

    > Is prevayler suitable to be used in a desktop environment?

    Hi,

    After reading some comments on the net, I conclude that my app isn't
    suitable, to use prevayler. Thanks for the intro, Stephan

    Regards,
    James

    JamesY, Mar 17, 2005
  8. Thomas Kellerer

    > Hi,
    >
    > What is the best embedded database (low cost or free) that I can use for a
    > Java Accounting Desktop Application?
    >
    > Regards,
    > james

    Thanks all for the feedbacks ;-)

    I will use HSQLDB. ^-^

    JamesY, Mar 17, 2005
  9. JamesY wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > What is the best embedded database (low cost or free) that I can use for a
    > Java Accounting Desktop Application?

    Take a look at our product (see my sig). You can use our free version (Pro Lite). Or, we
    can give you reasonable pricing on the embedded version, which is chock full of features
    including in-memory operation and true support for Java objects.

    --
    Lee Fesperman, FFE Software, Inc. (http://www.firstsql.com)
    * The Ultimate DBMS is here!

    Lee Fesperman, Mar 17, 2005
  10. Thomas Kellerer

    Bryce Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:23:38 +0800, "JamesY" <JamesY@$com.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >What is the best embedded database (low cost or free) that I can use for a
    >Java Accounting Desktop Application?

    Berkley DB is free. Haven't used it (yet).

    --
    now with more cowbell

    Bryce, Mar 17, 2005
  11. Bryce wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:23:38 +0800, "JamesY" <JamesY@$com.com> wrote:
    >>What is the best embedded database (low cost or free) that I can use for a
    >>Java Accounting Desktop Application?

    > Berkley DB is free. Haven't used it (yet).

    I have. Personally I'd stick with a relational database engine. HSQL is
    a good starter. Then you can easily migrate to an external db with
    better scalability (e.g. postgres, oracle) if needed,

    Richard

    Richard Wheeldon, Mar 17, 2005
  12. Thomas Kellerer

    Johnny Storm Guest

    sqlite might work for what you need.

    www.sqlite.org

    Johnny Storm, Mar 18, 2005
  13. Thomas Kellerer

    Bryce Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:28:07 +0000, Richard Wheeldon
    <> wrote:

    >Bryce wrote:
    >> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:23:38 +0800, "JamesY" <JamesY@$com.com> wrote:
    >>>What is the best embedded database (low cost or free) that I can use for a
    >>>Java Accounting Desktop Application?

    >> Berkley DB is free. Haven't used it (yet).

    >I have. Personally I'd stick with a relational database engine. HSQL is
    >a good starter. Then you can easily migrate to an external db with
    >better scalability (e.g. postgres, oracle) if needed,

    True, but I thought the OP wanted to embed the DB in the application.
    As in not requiring an external dtabase server.

    --
    now with more cowbell

    Bryce, Mar 18, 2005
  14. Bryce wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:28:07 +0000, Richard Wheeldon
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Bryce wrote:
    > >> Berkley DB is free. Haven't used it (yet).

    > >I have. Personally I'd stick with a relational database engine. HSQL is
    > >a good starter. Then you can easily migrate to an external db with
    > >better scalability (e.g. postgres, oracle) if needed,

    > True, but I thought the OP wanted to embed the DB in the application.
    > As in not requiring an external dtabase server.

    It still gives him the option to migrate to a more capable and scalable embedded DBMS
    ;^)

    Lee Fesperman, Mar 18, 2005
  15. Thomas Kellerer

    Guest

    I've had very good success with Mckoi, it is a very fast stable open
    source
    database. But it carries with it a LGPL license that has some
    restrictions
    with how it can be used and deployed.

    , Mar 18, 2005