Embedded Perl or Python (XPost)

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Chris, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hi

    I am posting this on both the perl and python groups

    My intention is not to start a war or anything else, I would just like
    some pragmatic advice.

    My apologies to the python group I am not very conversant with Python at
    this stage. that could change soon though.

    OUTLINE

    I am developing a software project where a major portion of it is to
    enable script access to c++ classes

    The idea is to extend the basic functionality of the program by allowing
    third parties to write add ons that are called by my c++ classes as
    virtual functions.

    So if I call vfunction(); and an add on has been written that redefines
    this function (and possibly calls the base c++ function) that it is
    called correctly.

    I have chosen perl and python as my preferred languages because of the
    large developer base for add ons

    The interpreter will only have a subset of the standard funtionality, for
    example sockets will be removed.

    QUESTION

    Given the above which interpreter is most likely to fit my bill with the
    smallest footprint ?

    Thanks in advance
    Chris
    Chris, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Chris wrote:
    > So if I call vfunction(); and an add on has been written that redefines
    > this function (and possibly calls the base c++ function) that it is
    > called correctly.
    >
    > I have chosen perl and python as my preferred languages because of the
    > large developer base for add ons
    >
    > The interpreter will only have a subset of the standard funtionality, for
    > example sockets will be removed.
    >
    > QUESTION
    >
    > Given the above which interpreter is most likely to fit my bill with the
    > smallest footprint ?

    No idea about "footprint", partly because it so crucially depends on
    what you will or won't remove. But trying it out for benchmark and
    measurement is trivially easy for Python -- use Boost Python, which
    you get from www.boost.org, and the "subclassing C++ in Python with the
    possibility of overriding virtual functions" functionality is there.

    Assuming it's just as easy for Perl (sorry, no idea), trying it for both
    languages and measuring footprint should fit comfortably within an afternoon
    with ample time left over for tea;-).

    Alex
    Alex Martelli, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    LOL

    thanks for the heads up on Boost

    I have just downloaded Swig and am beginning to explore that, So boost
    also sounds like a good idea.

    I think with my penchant for small things I may be getting carried away.

    I guess suck it and see is my best option, I have explored the source
    code for perl 5.8 and got considerably lost :(

    I will have to try python and see if I come out any wiser

    Regards
    Chris

    Alex Martelli <> wrote in

    Chris, Sep 6, 2003
  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Chris <> wrote in

    > Hi
    >
    > I am posting this on both the perl and python groups

    SNIP

    > QUESTION
    >
    > Given the above which interpreter is most likely to fit my bill with
    > the smallest footprint ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Chris

    Ok Guys thanks for the input

    I have decided to try and take the best of both worlds (why not)

    Size restrictions permitting I will include both a PERL interpreter and a
    Python Interpreter

    at least as a users choice

    That way I get all you wonderful developers creating fab scripts to
    extend my software

    :)

    Chris
    Chris, Sep 10, 2003