embedded resource

Andreas Zita

Hi

Im creating my first 2.0 site and I cant find the Build Action property? I
want to embedd an image-file in my site-assembly but I don't know how? In
1.1 I could set Build Action to Embedded Resource in the properties pane but
this doesn't seem to be available any more???

/Andreas

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

ASP.NET does not build assemblies with resources exaclty similarly as it did
in ASP.NET 1.1 (unless you start to use web application projects see
http://webproject.scottgu.com)

Now, you'd add a resource file to App_GlobalResources directory (special
directory for ASP.NET 2.0) and add the image as a resource to that resource
file.

Andreas Zita

Aha I see... interresting. Previously I used to embedd layout images/icons
and retrieve them with a custom aspx-request and a resource-id such as:
..../GetResource.aspx?id=HeaderBackground. Im building my html-pages with XSL
(HTMLWriter to Response.Output) so I need URL:s to my resources. Is there a
similar built in method to retrieve resources that have been embedded in a
resx-file in 2.0?

/Andreas

Edwin Knoppert

I don't know what you mean but:

1) Create the folder as suggested.
2) Add a textfile like text1.txt (for testing)
3) Add the resource.resx
4) The pane is shown, drag the text1.text on this resource pane.
5) You should see a pretty large image with title.
6) In your source use: ... resources.resource.text1.tostring

That's it.

Andreas Zita

Okey ... Anyhow ... Is this right?: xsl-files in App_GlobalResources always
embeds but in App_LocalResource they don't?
And ... how do I retrieve an embedded Stylesheet from App_GlobalResources ?

Thanks for your help! :)

/Andreas

Andreas Zita

Hi and thanks for replying ... but I still dont understand... for instance
in the second url they where pointing to the Build Action property which
isnt available anymore (?) ...

I am aware of that it isnt easy to understand what my problem really is... i
dont know for sure myself ... anyhow ... This is what I have come up with:

I have placed all my image-files in the App_GlobalResources-folder and added
them to a Images.resx file in the same folder. Then I created a aspx-file
for retrieving these images as the code below shows. Is this approach sane?
or is there some other more common method I have missed?

public partial class ASP_GetResource : System.Web.UI.Pag
System.Drawing.Bitmap image = GetGlobalResourceObject("Images",
ResourceKey) as System.Drawing.Bitmap;
Response.ContentType = "image/gif";
image.Save(Response.OutputStream, System.Drawing.Imaging.ImageFormat.Gif);
image.Dispose();
}

string ResourceKey { get { return Request.QueryString["res"]; }}
}

/Andreas

Teemu Keiski

in the second url they where pointing to the Build Action property which
isnt available anymore (?) ...

It is, if you built components into external class library. Writing a class
library is still there (though not with VWD express).That example just point
to such.
I am aware of that it isnt easy to understand what my problem really is...
i dont know for sure myself ... anyhow ... This is what I have come up
with:

I have placed all my image-files in the App_GlobalResources-folder and
added them to a Images.resx file in the same folder. Then I created a
aspx-file for retrieving these images as the code below shows. Is this
approach sane? or is there some other more common method I have missed?

That works fine. There's also the Web resource mechanism, in which Page
framework provides you the URl to the resource automatically, e-g
autogenerates it so that resource is served from resource files on the fly.

For example you'd just give:

Image1.ImageUrl =
Page.ClientScript.GetWebResourceUrl(this.GetType(),"myimage.gif")

Teemu Keiski

Just to add that web resource scenario would require the external class
library.

Teemu