Embedded systems and C programming

Shalini

Hi,
Iam looking for some books which deal with Embedded software as well as
C programming. I was suggested An Embedded software primer - David E
Simon by a friend.
Would like to have your feedback as well as some good book
suggestions.

Thanks,
Shalini

Emmanuel Delahaye

Shalini wrote on 17/09/04 :
Iam looking for some books which deal with Embedded software as well as
C programming. I was suggested An Embedded software primer - David E
Simon by a friend.
Would like to have your feedback as well as some good book
suggestions.

AFAIK, there is nothing special about C dealing with embedded software
programming. Most of the code can be written in reusable standard C. As
usual, the non standard code parts (system, direct I/O) should be
isolated from the standard code to help porting (and debugging too, as
a side effect).

The only thing is that it is a usual practice to unit test the code on
a hosted environment (like a PC under Windows or Linux). The tools are
often more easy and fast to use. This is why easy porting is not an
option! (The direct I/O can be simulated by some smart stub that
display intersting information like address, register number,
direction, values etc. A simple static variable can simulate a physical
register)

The group dedicated to embedded programming (not language specific) is:

--
Emmanuel

"C is a sharp tool"

Dave Thompson

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 10:32:53 +0200, Emmanuel Delahaye
AFAIK, there is nothing special about C dealing with embedded software
programming. Most of the code can be written in reusable standard C. <snip>
The only thing is that it is a usual practice to unit test the code on
a hosted environment (like a PC under Windows or Linux). The tools are
often more easy and fast to use. This is why easy porting is not an
option! (The direct I/O can be simulated <snip>

Minor point of English usage: at least in US "not an option" means
"not possible; prohibited". (Perhaps most famously in the cliched
exhortation of sports coaches and other "leaders" that "failure is not
an option", meaning "I don't allow you to give up".) I'm certain what
M. Delahaye wanted is "not optional", which although formally
ambiguous conventionally means "required; mandatory".

- David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net

Dan Pop

In said:
Shalini wrote on 17/09/04 :

AFAIK, there is nothing special about C dealing with embedded software
programming. Most of the code can be written in reusable standard C. As
usual, the non standard code parts (system, direct I/O) should be
isolated from the standard code to help porting (and debugging too, as
a side effect).

What library facilities are guaranteed by the C standard for freestanding
implementations?

Dan

kyle york

Greetings,

Dan said:
What library facilities are guaranteed by the C standard for freestanding
implementations?

Assuming by facilities you mean functions and not library management,
from this:

4.6: A conforming freestanding implementation shall accept any stricky
conforming program that does not use complex types and in which the use
of the features specified in the library clause (clause 7) is confined
to the contents of the standard headers <float.h>, <iso646.h>,
<limits.h>, <stdarg.h>, <stdbool.h>, <stddef.h>, and <stdint.h>

I gather a freestanding implementation needs *no* library functions.

Dan Pop

In said:
Assuming by facilities you mean functions and not library management,
from this:

It was a rhetorical question.
I gather a freestanding implementation needs *no* library functions.

That's my point: they do need standard library functions (and most of
them provide them), but the standard guarantees the existence and
semantics of none, so writing portable code (i.e. code that relies
exclusively on features guaranteed by the standard) is not as easy as
Emmanuel claims.

It's easier in practice, because the implementors go beyond the
strict requirements of the C standard, but this doesn't count as
*portable* programming in the context of c.l.c.

Dan

Chris Hills

Shalini <Shalini.1cr said:
Hi,
Iam looking for some books which deal with Embedded software as well as
C programming. I was suggested An Embedded software primer - David E
Simon by a friend.
Would like to have your feedback as well as some good book
suggestions.

Thanks,
Shalini

www.accu.org

See the book revues section. there is a section on embedded.

\/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\
/\/\/ (e-mail address removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/