    looking for good oppurtunities after 3 yrs and set my career path
    right.

    Thanx

    Arun, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Arun <> scribbled the following:
    > I have a query.I am a freah engineering graduate and have 2 job
    > offers.One is with LG Electronics Korea where I 'll be working in
    > korea as a software Engineer in Embedded systems exclusively at their
    > research labs .And second job is witha large software firm by the name
    > of TCS who has a global presence and where probably I'll be exposed to
    > technologies like Java /VB etc.I m in a deleima reagarding which one
    > to take up.Since all of u guys have industry experience ..kindly
    > suggest me something. Money is no issues for me right now rather I'mm
    > looking for good oppurtunities after 3 yrs and set my career path
    > right.

    What was your C question?

    "It was, er, quite bookish."
    - Horace Boothroyd

    Joona I Palaste, Oct 11, 2003

  3. Arun

    Jalapeno Guest

    In article <>,
    (Arun) wrote:

    > I have a query.I am a freah engineering graduate and have 2 job
    > offers.One is with LG Electronics Korea where I 'll be working in
    > korea as a software Engineer in Embedded systems exclusively at their
    > research labs .And second job is witha large software firm by the name
    > of TCS who has a global presence and where probably I'll be exposed to
    > technologies like Java /VB etc.I m in a deleima reagarding which one
    > to take up.Since all of u guys have industry experience ..kindly
    > suggest me something. Money is no issues for me right now rather I'mm
    > looking for good oppurtunities after 3 yrs and set my career path
    > right.
    >
    > Thanx

    Take neither as both lead to dead end careers. The future is in fried
    chicken served quickly. Your path to happiness starts here:

    http://www.kfc.com/careers/

    Jalapeno, Oct 11, 2003
  4. Java vs. VB? You must know both. Java is a language of the future with very
    good OOP practices. MS's movement towards it (C# and J# implementations)
    just prove it.VB is a please of Bill Gates, a lanuage suitable only for
    Windows administration purposes.

    Valentin Tihomirov, Oct 12, 2003
  5. Valentin Tihomirov <> scribbled the following:
    > Java vs. VB? You must know both. Java is a language of the future with very
    > good OOP practices. MS's movement towards it (C# and J# implementations)
    > just prove it.VB is a please of Bill Gates, a lanuage suitable only for
    > Windows administration purposes.

    Who says one MUST know both? I've not written a single line of VB code
    in my entire three-year-long programming career, and I don't think I'll
    need to in the near future.

    "That's no raisin - it's an ALIEN!"
    - Tourist in MTV's Oddities

    Joona I Palaste, Oct 12, 2003
  6. Arun

    Chris Ling Guest

    I had such a dilemma 3 years ago! So what is your C question anyway?
    (BTW, use a spell checker if you have time)

    Chris Ling, Oct 12, 2003
  7. Arun

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <bmbngv$9nu$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:

    >Who says one MUST know both? I've not written a single line of VB code
    >in my entire three-year-long programming career, and I don't think I'll
    >need to in the near future.

    In the context of this thread, the OP actually does:

    And second job is witha large software firm by the name of TCS who has
    a global presence and where probably I'll be exposed to technologies
    like Java /VB etc.

    If I were in OP's position, I'd take the embedded software job without
    a second thought: it's a lot more fun than having to deal with
    "technologies" like Java and VB.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

    Dan Pop, Oct 13, 2003
  8. Dan Pop <> scribbled the following:
    > In <bmbngv$9nu$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:
    >>Who says one MUST know both? I've not written a single line of VB code
    >>in my entire three-year-long programming career, and I don't think I'll
    >>need to in the near future.

    > In the context of this thread, the OP actually does:

    > And second job is witha large software firm by the name of TCS who has
    > a global presence and where probably I'll be exposed to technologies
    > like Java /VB etc.

    > If I were in OP's position, I'd take the embedded software job without
    > a second thought: it's a lot more fun than having to deal with
    > "technologies" like Java and VB.

    So you say, but I've had a Java programming career for three years (no
    VB, luckily) and you wouldn't get me to touch embedded systems if you
    tried.

    "It's time, it's time, it's time to dump the slime!"
    - Dr. Dante

    Joona I Palaste, Oct 13, 2003
  9. On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:28:40 +0000, Joona I Palaste wrote:

    > Dan Pop <> scribbled the following:
    >> In <bmbngv$9nu$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:
    >>>Who says one MUST know both? I've not written a single line of VB code
    >>>in my entire three-year-long programming career, and I don't think I'll
    >>>need to in the near future.

    >> In the context of this thread, the OP actually does:

    >> And second job is witha large software firm by the name of TCS who has
    >> a global presence and where probably I'll be exposed to technologies
    >> like Java /VB etc.

    >> If I were in OP's position, I'd take the embedded software job without
    >> a second thought: it's a lot more fun than having to deal with
    >> "technologies" like Java and VB.

    > So you say, but I've had a Java programming career for three years (no
    > VB, luckily) and you wouldn't get me to touch embedded systems if you
    > tried.

    Lets consider what's important here. The embedded job is in
    Korea. That's reason enough to take it.

    Sheldon Simms, Oct 13, 2003
  10. Arun

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <bmejro$2dg$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:

    >Dan Pop <> scribbled the following:
    >> In <bmbngv$9nu$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:
    >>>Who says one MUST know both? I've not written a single line of VB code
    >>>in my entire three-year-long programming career, and I don't think I'll
    >>>need to in the near future.

    >> In the context of this thread, the OP actually does:

    >> And second job is witha large software firm by the name of TCS who has
    >> a global presence and where probably I'll be exposed to technologies
    >> like Java /VB etc.

    >> If I were in OP's position, I'd take the embedded software job without
    >> a second thought: it's a lot more fun than having to deal with
    >> "technologies" like Java and VB.

    >So you say, but I've had a Java programming career for three years (no
    >VB, luckily) and you wouldn't get me to touch embedded systems if you
    >tried.

    I prefixed my advice by "If I were in OP's position", so that it
    should have been perfectly clear that it is a purely personal opinion.

    I'm fully aware that embedded systems programming is not for everyone ;-)

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

    Dan Pop, Oct 13, 2003
  11. Dan Pop <> scribbled the following:
    > In <bmejro$2dg$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:
    >>So you say, but I've had a Java programming career for three years (no
    >>VB, luckily) and you wouldn't get me to touch embedded systems if you
    >>tried.

    > I prefixed my advice by "If I were in OP's position", so that it
    > should have been perfectly clear that it is a purely personal opinion.

    > I'm fully aware that embedded systems programming is not for everyone ;-)

    You're right. No further arguments from me in this debate.

    "The truth is out there, man! Way out there!"
    - Professor Ashfield

    Joona I Palaste, Oct 13, 2003
  12. Joona I Palaste <> spoke thus:

    > Who says one MUST know both? I've not written a single line of VB code
    > in my entire three-year-long programming career, and I don't think I'll
    > need to in the near future.

    Wait, three years?? If you'll pardon my praise, you seem a lot more
    experienced than someone who's been programming for three years... heck, if I
    know as much as you do in 3 years, I'll be happy :)

    --
    Christopher Benson-Manica | Upon the wheel thy fate doth turn,
    ataru(at)cyberspace.org | upon the rack thy lesson learn.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Oct 14, 2003
  13. On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:00:09 +0000 (UTC), in comp.lang.c , Christopher
    Benson-Manica <> wrote:

    >Joona I Palaste <> spoke thus:
    >
    >> Who says one MUST know both? I've not written a single line of VB code
    >> in my entire three-year-long programming career, and I don't think I'll
    >> need to in the near future.

    >Wait, three years?? If you'll pardon my praise, you seem a lot more
    >experienced than someone who's been programming for three years... heck, if I
    >know as much as you do in 3 years, I'll be happy :)

    Yeah, but most of that was spent writing a database app and GUI
    frontend to store his catalogue of legoland models and transformers,
    entirely in ISO C... :)

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Oct 14, 2003
  14. Arun

    Joe Wright Guest

    Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:

    > Joona I Palaste <> spoke thus:
    >
    > > Who says one MUST know both? I've not written a single line of VB code
    > > in my entire three-year-long programming career, and I don't think I'll
    > > need to in the near future.

    > Wait, three years?? If you'll pardon my praise, you seem a lot more
    > experienced than someone who's been programming for three years... heck, if I
    > know as much as you do in 3 years, I'll be happy :)

    No, you have to catch up. Three years from now you have to know as much
    as Joona does three years from now. :) It is a challenge indeed, but
    we'll all help you. Even Joona will.
    --
    Joe Wright http://www.jw-wright.com
    --- Albert Einstein ---

    Joe Wright, Oct 15, 2003
  15. Christopher Benson-Manica <> scribbled the following:
    > Joona I Palaste <> spoke thus:
    >> Who says one MUST know both? I've not written a single line of VB code
    >> in my entire three-year-long programming career, and I don't think I'll
    >> need to in the near future.

    > Wait, three years?? If you'll pardon my praise, you seem a lot more
    > experienced than someone who's been programming for three years... heck, if I
    > know as much as you do in 3 years, I'll be happy :)

    Three years of programming for money. I've been *programming* for
    longer, mostly for University exercises.

    "War! Huh! Good God, y'all! What is it good for? We asked Mayor Quimby."
    - Kent Brockman

    Joona I Palaste, Oct 15, 2003
  16. Arun

    Arun Guest

    Joona I Palaste <> wrote in message news:<bmemjc$3vo$>...
    > Dan Pop <> scribbled the following:
    > > In <bmejro$2dg$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:
    > >>So you say, but I've had a Java programming career for three years (no
    > >>VB, luckily) and you wouldn't get me to touch embedded systems if you
    > >>tried.

    > > I prefixed my advice by "If I were in OP's position", so that it
    > > should have been perfectly clear that it is a purely personal opinion.

    > > I'm fully aware that embedded systems programming is not for everyone ;-)

    > You're right. No further arguments from me in this debate.

    does it mean that one can find Java programmers much easily in the
    market than an Embedded Programmers ?

    But I also beleive that there's lot job oppurtunities with Java and
    better pay scales too...That's what i get when i checked out various
    Job Sites ?

    Arun, Oct 15, 2003
  17. Arun <> scribbled the following:
    > Joona I Palaste <> wrote in message news:<bmemjc$3vo$>...
    >> Dan Pop <> scribbled the following:

    >> > I prefixed my advice by "If I were in OP's position", so that it
    >> > should have been perfectly clear that it is a purely personal opinion.

    >> > I'm fully aware that embedded systems programming is not for everyone ;-)

    >> You're right. No further arguments from me in this debate.

    > does it mean that one can find Java programmers much easily in the
    > market than an Embedded Programmers ?

    No. Neither does it mean the opposite. I am far too small a sample to
    be of statistical importance.

    "How come even in my fantasies everyone is a jerk?"
    - Daria Morgendorfer

    Joona I Palaste, Oct 15, 2003