Embedding an html application into a static html page

jeff_j_dunlap

Dear forum members:

I have created an html calculator in C++ which I imagine is very
similar to something written in Perl or PHP. It has an html form
interface and produces html output, http://app.directcorrespondentlender.com/AmortBrowser.srf
and I would like to embed this calculator into a static web page.
Something like this:

static_doc.html
......static html content
......calculator (application)

When the user presses the 'Calculate' submit button, I would like for
the calculations to appear in the same page.

Today, I put the calculator inside of an iframe but it looked cludgy
since you'd have to scroll the iframe to see the calculation results.
I also don't think that a regular frame would look nice.

My only solution may be to have the C++ application 'read' the static
html file and combine it with my calculator output, then display the
html output, but an embedded solution would be ideal for me. Would
AJAX be a good solution for this?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated,

Jeff

Ben C

[...]

As far as I know AJAX is the only solution apart from the other two
things you mention-- delivering the whole page again or using frames.

The only way to update part of a document from the server while leaving the
rest of it there is to use AJAX.

Another alternative is just to write the mortgage calculator in
JavaScript (or, less popular these days, in a Java applet) instead of
C++. Then it can run on the user's machine, saving you CPU cycles and
carbon credits.

Chaddy2222

As far as I know AJAX is the only solution apart from the other two
things you mention-- delivering the whole page again or using frames.

The only way to update part of a document from the server while leaving the
rest of it there is to use AJAX.

Another alternative is just to write the mortgage calculator in
JavaScript (or, less popular these days, in a Java applet) instead of
C++. Then it can run on the user's machine, saving you CPU cycles and
carbon credits.- Hide quoted text -
What about PHP or ASP. They would work fine for the task as hand
(including a bit of HTML in another page).

Ben C

[...]

Those would be fine choices, but don't they run on the server just like
the OP's C++ program? The difficulty is then the same: how to do partial
updates to display the results.

jeff_j_dunlap

As far as I know AJAX is the only solution apart from the other two
things you mention-- delivering the whole page again or using frames.

I created an earlier system just like that, delivering the whole page
again, and this is probably what I will do with this calculator as
well.
The only way to update part of a document from the server while
leaving the rest of it there is to use AJAX.

Even if I were to use AJAX (which I've never used), I think I'd still
have the problem of embedding this calculator into the static html
page since iframes/frames are not an option due to the cludgy
appearance.

Since it does not appear to be possible in html, does anyone know if
javascript can be included in my static html file which then calls the
url in my original post, causing the calculator to 'embed' itself at
that particular point? After embedding the html, maybe AJAX can be
used to display the table of calculations resulting when the user
posts?