Embedding an html application into a static html page

Discussion in 'HTML' started by jeff_j_dunlap@yahoo.com, Jan 9, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Dear forum members:

    I have created an html calculator in C++ which I imagine is very
    similar to something written in Perl or PHP. It has an html form
    interface and produces html output, http://app.directcorrespondentlender.com/AmortBrowser.srf
    and I would like to embed this calculator into a static web page.
    Something like this:

    static_doc.html
    ......static html content
    ......calculator (application)

    When the user presses the 'Calculate' submit button, I would like for
    the calculations to appear in the same page.

    Today, I put the calculator inside of an iframe but it looked cludgy
    since you'd have to scroll the iframe to see the calculation results.
    I also don't think that a regular frame would look nice.

    My only solution may be to have the C++ application 'read' the static
    html file and combine it with my calculator output, then display the
    html output, but an embedded solution would be ideal for me. Would
    AJAX be a good solution for this?

    Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated,

    Jeff

    , Jan 9, 2008

  2. Ben C Guest

    On 2008-01-09, <> wrote:
    > Dear forum members:
    >
    > I have created an html calculator in C++ which I imagine is very
    > similar to something written in Perl or PHP. It has an html form
    > interface and produces html output, http://app.directcorrespondentlender.com/AmortBrowser.srf
    > and I would like to embed this calculator into a static web page.
    > Something like this:
    >
    > static_doc.html
    > .....static html content
    > .....calculator (application)
    >
    > When the user presses the 'Calculate' submit button, I would like for
    > the calculations to appear in the same page.
    >
    > Today, I put the calculator inside of an iframe but it looked cludgy
    > since you'd have to scroll the iframe to see the calculation results.
    > I also don't think that a regular frame would look nice.
    >
    > My only solution may be to have the C++ application 'read' the static
    > html file and combine it with my calculator output, then display the
    > html output, but an embedded solution would be ideal for me. Would
    > AJAX be a good solution for this?
    >
    > Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated,

    As far as I know AJAX is the only solution apart from the other two
    things you mention-- delivering the whole page again or using frames.

    The only way to update part of a document from the server while leaving the
    rest of it there is to use AJAX.

    Another alternative is just to write the mortgage calculator in
    JavaScript (or, less popular these days, in a Java applet) instead of
    C++. Then it can run on the user's machine, saving you CPU cycles and
    carbon credits.

    Ben C, Jan 9, 2008

  3. Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Jan 9, 7:51 pm, Ben C <> wrote:
    > On 2008-01-09, <> wrote:
    >

    > > Dear forum members:

    > > I have created an html calculator in C++ which I imagine is very
    > > similar to something written in Perl or PHP.  It has an html form
    > > interface and produces html output,http://app.directcorrespondentlender.com/AmortBrowser.srf
    > > and I would like to embed this calculator into a static web page.
    > > Something like this:

    > > static_doc.html
    > > .....static html content
    > > .....calculator (application)

    > > When the user presses the 'Calculate' submit button, I would like for
    > > the calculations to appear in the same page.

    > > Today, I put the calculator inside of an iframe but it looked cludgy
    > > since you'd have to scroll the iframe to see the calculation results.
    > > I also don't think that a regular frame would look nice.

    > > My only solution may be to have the C++ application 'read' the static
    > > html file and combine it with my calculator output, then display the
    > > html output, but an embedded solution would be ideal for me.  Would
    > > AJAX be a good solution for this?

    > > Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated,

    > As far as I know AJAX is the only solution apart from the other two
    > things you mention-- delivering the whole page again or using frames.
    >
    > The only way to update part of a document from the server while leaving the
    > rest of it there is to use AJAX.
    >
    > Another alternative is just to write the mortgage calculator in
    > JavaScript (or, less popular these days, in a Java applet) instead of
    > C++. Then it can run on the user's machine, saving you CPU cycles and
    > carbon credits.- Hide quoted text -

    What about PHP or ASP. They would work fine for the task as hand
    (including a bit of HTML in another page).

    Chaddy2222, Jan 9, 2008
  4. Ben C Guest

    On 2008-01-09, Chaddy2222 <> wrote:
    > On Jan 9, 7:51 pm, Ben C <> wrote:

    [...]
    >> > similar to something written in Perl or PHP.  It has an html form
    >> > interface and produces html output,http://app.directcorrespondentlender.com/AmortBrowser.srf

    [...]
    >> > My only solution may be to have the C++ application 'read' the static
    >> > html file and combine it with my calculator output, then display the
    >> > html output, but an embedded solution would be ideal for me.  Would
    >> > AJAX be a good solution for this?

    >> > Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated,

    >> As far as I know AJAX is the only solution apart from the other two
    >> things you mention-- delivering the whole page again or using frames.
    >>
    >> The only way to update part of a document from the server while leaving the
    >> rest of it there is to use AJAX.
    >>
    >> Another alternative is just to write the mortgage calculator in
    >> JavaScript (or, less popular these days, in a Java applet) instead of
    >> C++. Then it can run on the user's machine, saving you CPU cycles and
    >> carbon credits.- Hide quoted text -
    >>

    > What about PHP or ASP. They would work fine for the task as hand
    > (including a bit of HTML in another page).

    Those would be fine choices, but don't they run on the server just like
    the OP's C++ program? The difficulty is then the same: how to do partial
    updates to display the results.

    Ben C, Jan 9, 2008
  5. On Jan 8, 9:29 pm, wrote:
    > Dear forum members:

    Ohhh a virgin....

    > I have created an html calculator in C++ which I imagine is very
    > similar to something written in Perl or PHP....

    This sounds like a perfect use of Flash

    Travis Newbury, Jan 9, 2008

    > As far as I know AJAX is the only solution apart from the other two
    > things you mention-- delivering the whole page again or using frames.

    I created an earlier system just like that, delivering the whole page
    again, and this is probably what I will do with this calculator as
    well.

    > The only way to update part of a document from the server while
    > leaving the rest of it there is to use AJAX.

    Even if I were to use AJAX (which I've never used), I think I'd still
    have the problem of embedding this calculator into the static html
    page since iframes/frames are not an option due to the cludgy
    appearance.

    Since it does not appear to be possible in html, does anyone know if
    javascript can be included in my static html file which then calls the
    url in my original post, causing the calculator to 'embed' itself at
    that particular point? After embedding the html, maybe AJAX can be
    used to display the table of calculations resulting when the user
    posts?

    , Jan 9, 2008