Embedding Controls in LoginView removes references

Guest

When I put asp controls inside the LoginView it removes the codebehind
references so that the page will not build. For example:
<asp:LoginView ID="LoginView" runat="server" >
<LoggedInTemplate>
<asp:LoginName id="loginName" runat="server" FormatString="You
are logged in as: {0} | " />
<asp:LoginStatus id="loginStatus" runat="server"
LogoutText="logoff" />
<asp:Label ID="pageContentIsAuth" runat="server" >
</asp:Label>
</LoggedInTemplate>
</asp:LoginView>

The LoginName, loginStatus, pageContentIsAuth control references in code
behind pagename.aspx.designer.vb are removed, but if copy them outside of the
control such as:
<asp:LoginView ID="LoginView" runat="server" >
<LoggedInTemplate>
Removed Controls
</LoggedInTemplate>
</asp:LoginView>
<asp:LoginName id="loginName" runat="server" FormatString="You are logged in
as: {0} | " />
<asp:LoginStatus id="loginStatus" runat="server" LogoutText="logoff" />

<asp:Label ID="pageContentIsAuth" runat="server" >
</asp:Label>

then the controls are added back to pagename.aspx.designer.vb and the page
is able to compile. I've read that you can embed controls with the LoginView
control. Is this true? If so, what do I need to do work around this issue?

Eliyahu Goldin

You should be able to access the controls in code-behind like
LoginView.FindControl("loginName") etc.

Guest

That appears to be late bound code, do you have an example of early bound
code? I would prefer early bound code for performance reasons and I would
like to take advantage of Intellisence when referencing the object in code.
Thanks.

Josh.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

jmhmaine said:
[...]

Erik Funkenbusch

That appears to be late bound code, do you have an example of early bound
code? I would prefer early bound code for performance reasons and I would
like to take advantage of Intellisence when referencing the object in code.
Thanks.

You can't do early bound code in login controls (or many other kinds).