Embedding files in html

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Genome, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Genome

    Genome Guest

    I'm using Arachnophilia.

    I can embed a pdf file using

    <center>
    <embed src="pages.pdf" width=50% height=500>
    </embed>
    </center>

    Where pages.pdf is in the same directory as the source html file.

    I've tried embedding a .txt file using

    <center>
    <embed src="pages.txt" width=50% height=500>
    </embed>
    </center>

    Again pages.txt is in the same directory.

    Whereas the first example works and brings up the correct pdf the second
    example presents a window of appropriate size with a vertical scroll bar
    but the text is not visible.

    I've produced the original text file using notepad. Oh yes... this is
    Windows 98 with IE6.

    Is what I'm trying to do valid and if so where did the text go.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    DNA

    Genome, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Genome

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <WSYwc.62$Zd5.42@newsfe1-win>, says...
    > I'm using Arachnophilia.
    > I can embed a pdf file using
    > <center>
    > <embed src="pages.pdf" width=50% height=500>
    > </embed>
    > </center>

    Where did you come up with the <embed> tag? Use the <object> tag

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jun 7, 2004

  3. Genome

    Genome Guest

    "Whitecrest" <> wrote in message
    | In article <WSYwc.62$Zd5.42@newsfe1-win>, says...
    | > I'm using Arachnophilia.
    | > I can embed a pdf file using
    | > <center>
    | > <embed src="pages.pdf" width=50% height=500>
    | > </embed>
    | > </center>
    |
    | Where did you come up with the <embed> tag? Use the <object> tag
    |
    | --
    | Whitecrest Entertainment
    | www.whitecrestent.com

    Thanks for the response, I think I'll run away and hide somewhere.

    DNA

    Genome, Jun 7, 2004
  4. Genome

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <Io3xc.150$o96.30@newsfe5-win>, says...
    > | Where did you come up with the <embed> tag? Use the <object> tag
    > Thanks for the response, I think I'll run away and hide somewhere.

    Why hide? Did you even try the object tag?
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jun 7, 2004
  5. Genome

    | In article <Io3xc.150$o96.30@newsfe5-win>, says...
    | > | Where did you come up with the <embed> tag? Use the <object> tag
    | > Thanks for the response, I think I'll run away and hide somewhere.
    |
    | Why hide? Did you even try the object tag?
    | --
    | Whitecrest Entertainment
    | www.whitecrestent.com

    I'm not too good at this..... I tried

    <center>
    <object classid="page.pdf width=100% hieght=500>
    </object>
    <object classid="page.txt" width=50% hieght=500>
    </object>
    </center>

    and niether worked, just got the windows.

    OOOOOOOOPS

    Just did

    <center>
    <object data="page.pdf width=100% hieght=500>
    </object>
    <object data="page.txt" width=50% hieght=500>
    </object>
    </center>

    Now the pdf one doesn't work but the text one does.

    So, if I do

    <center>
    <embed src="page.pdf width=100% hieght=500>
    </embed>
    <object data="page.txt" width=50% hieght=500>
    </object>
    </center>

    I can get both of them.

    Excellent, OK so it's not all the way there but it works.

    <center>
    <object data="page.txt" width=100% height=500>
    </object>
    </center>
    <center>
    <embed src="page.pdf" width=100% height=500>
    </embed>
    </center>

    Sort of gives me the effect I'm looking for.

    I didn't want to waste your time with the inane questions of a novice.

    Cheers

    DNA

    Genome, Jun 8, 2004
  6. Genome

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <crfxc.23$>,
    says...
    > | Why hide? Did you even try the object tag?
    > I'm not too good at this..... I tried...
    > Now the pdf one doesn't work but the text one does....
    > I can get both of them....
    > Excellent, OK so it's not all the way there but it works....
    > Sort of gives me the effect I'm looking for....
    > I didn't want to waste your time with the inane questions of a novice....

    You didn't waste anyone's time. Welcome aboard, and we look forward to
    seeing you here more often.
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com