    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 20, 2009

  2. Adrienne Boswell

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Mar 20, 11:43 am, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > I have a client that I know uses IE (yes, I have already done the usual
    > speech about how bad it is, etc), and for the life of me, I can't figure
    > out how to get a flash object to work in IE.  Of course, it works in more
    > modern browers (Opera, FF, K-Meleon, Safari, Chrome) but IE refuses to use
    > the Flash/SWF file, and displays the alternative static image.
    >
    > The page in question is at [http://adrienneboswell.com/tiptop/index.php].
    > If the client approves this, I will buy the Istock photos - this is just
    > for testing.

    See http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/Fatty.php . You will have to scroll
    fairly far down the page before you right click to be able to get the
    page source code. Windows conditional comments are used to route to IE
    or other browsers. For IE, an ActiveX object is used.

    To avoid confusion, I am using flv/swf. You use only the swf container
    file link in the code, because it automatically calls the flv video
    file which must be in the same directiory as the swf container file.
    If you use the old fashioned swf file that combines both the container
    and video, you still link to the swf file for it and there is no flv
    used. From the source code you see by right clicking, you can not see
    the flv to which the swf container file links, if that is the type of
    flash you use.

    Actually, my parrot uses this video on his Myspace page. He says you
    are welcome to use the code. However if he ever meets you, it would be
    nice to bring him a small bag of raw peanuts in the shell. He will not
    accept salted and roasted peanuts and will spit them out. :)

    cwdjrxyz, Mar 20, 2009

  3. Adrienne Boswell

    Neil Gould Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > I have a client that I know uses IE (yes, I have already done the
    > usual speech about how bad it is, etc), and for the life of me, I
    > can't figure out how to get a flash object to work in IE. Of course,
    > it works in more modern browers (Opera, FF, K-Meleon, Safari, Chrome)
    > but IE refuses to use the Flash/SWF file, and displays the
    > alternative static image.
    >
    > The page in question is at
    > [http://adrienneboswell.com/tiptop/index.php]. If the client approves
    > this, I will buy the Istock photos - this is just for testing.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.

    I'm not sure what problem you are having Adirenne... although the Flash on
    your page is glitchy, it works with IE6, so I'd think it would work with
    newer versions as well. I have one on my home page that was done a few years
    ago, and works in the browsers I've tested it with.

    Best,

    --
    Neil Gould
    Terra Tu Technical Publishing

    Neil Gould, Mar 20, 2009
  4. On Mar 20, 12:43 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > I have a client that I know uses IE (yes, I have already done the usual
    > speech about how bad it is, etc), and for the life of me, I can't figure
    > out how to get a flash object to work in IE.

    Works fine for me in both IE and FF. But you might want to remove the
    "IStockPhoto" watermark....

    Travis (New and improved) Newbury

    Travis Newbury, Mar 20, 2009
  5. Adrienne Boswell

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Mar 20, 1:46 pm, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 11:43 am, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a client that I know uses IE (yes, I have already done the usual
    > > speech about how bad it is, etc), and for the life of me, I can't figure
    > > out how to get a flash object to work in IE.  Of course, it works in more
    > > modern browers (Opera, FF, K-Meleon, Safari, Chrome) but IE refuses to use
    > > the Flash/SWF file, and displays the alternative static image.

    > > The page in question is at [http://adrienneboswell.com/tiptop/index.php].
    > > If the client approves this, I will buy the Istock photos - this is just
    > > for testing.

    > Seehttp://www.cwdjr.net/flash/Fatty.php. You will have to scroll
    > fairly far down the page before you right click to be able to get the
    > page source code. Windows conditional comments are used to route to IE
    > or other browsers. For IE, an ActiveX object is used.
    >
    > To avoid confusion, I am using flv/swf. You use only the swf container
    > file link in the code, because it automatically calls the flv video
    > file which must be in the same directiory as the swf container file.
    > If you use the old fashioned swf file that combines both the container
    > and video, you still link to the swf file for it and there is no flv
    > used. From the source code you see by right clicking, you can not see
    > the flv to which the swf container file links, if that is the type of
    > flash you use.

    Since others report your flash file shows on IE7, I checked and it
    works for me also on high speed download, about 6 Mbps.

    You use an ordinary object only. For most browsers, a flash file will
    start to stream after very brief buffering, but for IE the whole flash
    file has to download first if only an ordinary object is used. Are you
    checking on a slow speed dialup connection, or is your broadband
    slowed down a lot? I would guess your flash file is fairly small since
    it starts to play rapidly on your page with about 6 Mbps download.
    However on my page, the flash move has a huge file size, because it
    will play for several minutes. To avoid waiting a long time for the
    movie to start, the ActiveX object is used for the IE path which will
    cause the movies to start progressive download streaming very rapidly.
    There is also a trick for using a very short flash file first that
    links to the flash movie of interest, and this will cause the longer
    movie to start streaming rapidly on IE.

    I suggest you check your page on the slowest connection you will
    tolerate. If there is too much delay on the flash showing for IE, then
    you should use a method that makes IE start streaming without
    requiring full download of the flash file first. If you can tolerate
    the delay you get, then an ordinary object such as you use will be
    sufficient.

    cwdjrxyz, Mar 20, 2009
  6. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed cwdjrxyz <>
    writing in news:c0f3cfaf-0a28-497c-bbc3-
    :

    > Actually, my parrot uses this video on his Myspace page. He says you
    > are welcome to use the code. However if he ever meets you, it would be
    > nice to bring him a small bag of raw peanuts in the shell. He will not
    > accept salted and roasted peanuts and will spit them out. :)

    Thank you so much, works perfectly. Would your parrot kindly accept some
    nice unsalted cashews? My cat, Rolo, loves cashews.

    --
    http://files.myopera.com/arbpen/albums/281941/rolo3.jpg

    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 21, 2009
  7. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Neil Gould"
    <> writing in

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >> I have a client that I know uses IE (yes, I have already done the
    >> usual speech about how bad it is, etc), and for the life of me, I
    >> can't figure out how to get a flash object to work in IE. Of course,
    >> it works in more modern browers (Opera, FF, K-Meleon, Safari, Chrome)
    >> but IE refuses to use the Flash/SWF file, and displays the
    >> alternative static image.
    >>
    >> The page in question is at
    >> [http://adrienneboswell.com/tiptop/index.php]. If the client approves
    >> this, I will buy the Istock photos - this is just for testing.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>

    > I'm not sure what problem you are having Adirenne... although the
    > Flash on your page is glitchy, it works with IE6, so I'd think it
    > would work with newer versions as well. I have one on my home page
    > that was done a few years ago, and works in the browsers I've tested
    > it with.
    >
    > Best,

    I put some conditional comments on it, just to be sure. I never got it
    on my system without them.

    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 21, 2009
  8. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
    <> writing in news:c4aa9fc9-3bcd-4e2b-99fa-
    :

    > On Mar 20, 12:43 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    >> I have a client that I know uses IE (yes, I have already done the usual
    >> speech about how bad it is, etc), and for the life of me, I can't figure
    >> out how to get a flash object to work in IE.

    > Works fine for me in both IE and FF. But you might want to remove the
    > "IStockPhoto" watermark....
    >
    > Travis (New and improved) Newbury

    Thanks, Travis. When and if the client approves it, I'll do that.

    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 21, 2009
  9. Adrienne Boswell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9BD4B0D8BDEC1arbpenyahoocom@207.115.17.102>,
    Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed cwdjrxyz <>
    > writing in news:c0f3cfaf-0a28-497c-bbc3-
    > :
    >
    > > Actually, my parrot uses this video on his Myspace page. He says you
    > > are welcome to use the code. However if he ever meets you, it would be
    > > nice to bring him a small bag of raw peanuts in the shell. He will not
    > > accept salted and roasted peanuts and will spit them out. :)
    > >

    > Thank you so much, works perfectly. Would your parrot kindly accept some
    > nice unsalted cashews? My cat, Rolo, loves cashews.

    Be very very careful, cwdjrxyz. Rolo loves parrots too and if Rolo is as
    clever as your parrot, this whole offer of cashews, salted or not, might
    be a ploy to get close enough to your parrot to you know what...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 21, 2009
  10. Adrienne Boswell

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Mar 20, 8:28 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article <Xns9BD4B0D8BDEC1arbpenyahoo...@207.115.17.102>,
    >  Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    >
    > > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed cwdjrxyz <>
    > > writing in news:c0f3cfaf-0a28-497c-bbc3-
    > > :

    > > > Actually, my parrot uses this video on his Myspace page. He says you
    > > > are welcome to use the code. However if he ever meets you, it would be
    > > > nice to bring him a small bag of raw peanuts in the shell. He will not
    > > > accept salted and roasted peanuts and will spit them out. :)

    > > Thank you so much, works perfectly.  Would your parrot kindly accept some
    > > nice unsalted cashews?  My cat, Rolo, loves cashews.

    > Be very very careful, cwdjrxyz. Rolo loves parrots too and if Rolo is as
    > clever as your parrot, this whole offer of cashews, salted or not, might
    > be a ploy to get close enough to your parrot to you know what...

    The parrot does not trust most animals, or unknown people, for that
    matter. If you do not know him very well, you had best not pick him
    up. He can scratch and bite as hard as many wild alley cats. He
    especially likes to bite fingers just at the cuticle around a finger
    nail. He will also try to bite any veins on an arm that he can reach.
    And pity a cat that would put their tail in his cage. He likely would
    change the cat into a faux manx. He keeps his beak and claws very
    sharp by honing them on a special rough concrete perch, and he can
    turn a hardwood toy into sawdust in short order.

    But I really did put a page up for him on MySpace for a while with the
    mentioned video, among other things. The html used on MySpace is like
    another world compared to what most posting here use. At least you can
    link to a proper web page you have on a server. If you write proper
    html on MySpace, it often gets changed to something else, often
    something that would get over 20 bad responses if posted to this
    group. I had to block friends requests for the parrot. He got a lot of
    requests from young nude ladies whose MySpace sites were usually taken
    down by MySpace very soon. I wrote in his blog that he was interested
    in finding a nice lady parrot and was not interested in humans.

    cwdjrxyz, Mar 21, 2009