embedding movies

Discussion in 'HTML' started by code_wrong, Oct 8, 2005.

  1. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    Embedding media .... Is there a comprehensive guide out there ..I have three
    books .. two of them only mention the Object tag .. one book does outline
    how to use the embed tag ..and yes I have successfully embedded movies into
    a web page and viewed them in IE and FireFox..

    but I am not satisfied ..the information is not comprehensive .. I visited
    theW3C .. waste of time! .. various searches found many out of date articles

    Of all people the W3C should have a good site shouldn't they? ..well .. if
    they are in charge then there is no hope of clearing up this <embed>
    <object> curmudgeon

    why is everyone pulling in different directions .. I don't mind using Object
    to embed media .. but I can't stand those incredibly stupid long numbers ..
    something to do with MS ActiveX I think .. but I don't know .. useless books
    on the subject!

    advice welcome

    code_wrong, Oct 8, 2005

  2. code_wrong

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, code_wrong quothed:

    > Embedding media .... Is there a comprehensive guide out there ..I have three
    > books .. two of them only mention the Object tag .. one book does outline
    > how to use the embed tag ..and yes I have successfully embedded movies into
    > a web page and viewed them in IE and FireFox..
    >
    > but I am not satisfied ..the information is not comprehensive .. I visited
    > theW3C .. waste of time! .. various searches found many out of date articles
    > ..
    >
    > Of all people the W3C should have a good site shouldn't they? ..well .. if
    > they are in charge then there is no hope of clearing up this <embed>
    > <object> curmudgeon
    >
    > why is everyone pulling in different directions .. I don't mind using Object
    > to embed media .. but I can't stand those incredibly stupid long numbers ..
    > something to do with MS ActiveX I think .. but I don't know .. useless books
    > on the subject!
    >
    > advice welcome

    My advice is to accept it as one of the screws up which are facts of
    life like government and interpersonal relationships, and carry on from
    there. Eventually it will get better.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Oct 8, 2005

  3. code_wrong

    Spartanicus Guest

    Spartanicus, Oct 8, 2005
  4. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    > "code_wrong" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Embedding media

    > http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm

    Interesting .. thanks .. .. you reference an article:
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/ ..where the author jumps
    through hoops to embed a flash movie in a standards compliant way i.e.by
    dropping the embed tag ..
    This also involved dropping the ugly stupid ugly CLSID number .. hoorah! ..
    However he then had to insert an ActionScript hack into his SWF movie which
    is just another hoop .. so I think I am still inclined to ignore the
    standard and continue to use the Embed tag within the Object tag ....

    I must say that the object tag seems overly complicated .. I would ditch it
    in favour of embed .. it seems more logical .. after all what are we doing?
    >> embedding stuff in a web page ..

    Would it not be a better idea to tell the browser what MIME type we are
    trying to embed and let the browser decide which helper application to call
    .... in Firefox this would be a plugin .. in IE this might be some activeX
    component .. depending on the way the browser is set up ..

    Why is it left to the web designer to decide which windows component will
    deal with an Object? .. seems wrong to me ..

    code_wrong, Oct 8, 2005
  5. code_wrong

    Toby Inkster Guest

    code_wrong wrote:

    > Embedding media

    <object data="foo.mpeg" type="video/mpeg" width=320 height=240>
    </object>

    Easy.

    Internet explorer sometimes also requires one or two <param> elements
    inside the object -- it depends on the MIME type of the movie file --
    you'd need to supply more info.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 8, 2005
  6. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    "Toby Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > code_wrong wrote:
    >
    >> Embedding media

    > <object data="foo.mpeg" type="video/mpeg" width=320 height=240>
    > </object>

    What about avi swf and all the rest?
    please elaborate

    code_wrong, Oct 8, 2005
  7. "code_wrong" <> said:

    > What about avi swf and all the rest?
    > please elaborate

    Just use Object and embed the way you always have. The 3 main
    browsers all know how to deal with it. IE, NN, and FF all can even
    commnitcate with most players via Javascript so you can have
    Flash/Javascript "talk" to the player.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Oct 8, 2005