Embedding Python in Multi-threading App. Any Guidelines, Hints, Recipes ??

Discussion in 'Python' started by adsheehan@eircom.net, Jun 7, 2005.

    I am embedding Python into a multi-threaded application running on
    Solaris. Python will enable end users to customize and re-program many
    aspects of the application.

    I expect that the C++ application will be natively multi-threaded and
    will embed multiple Python sub-interpreters. Called Python scripts may
    in turn call back into the C++ application via SWIG wrappers of C++
    objects.

    I need advice and/or pointers to relevant documentation on the subject
    if available please.

    In particular, I need advice on the necessary housekeeping (set/reset
    of GIL, PyThreadStates, PyInterpreterStates etc etc) to invoke a
    sub-interpreter from a native thread. A native thread may call a number
    of sub-interpreters in sequence or recursively (due to call backs) and
    I cannot find specific information on this subject area.

    Many thanks in advance.

    Alan
    , Jun 7, 2005