Embedding ruby 1.9 using native threads

Deb 123

Hi All,
I've heard that the new ruby interpreter v1.9 is able to handle native
OS threads. However, i've tried a few different ways of running
multiple interpreters in separate threads (on XP), and it doesn't seem
to work. Is there any special initialization to make to the ruby
interpreter, or something i might be missing?

Thanks!

Tom M

Hi All,
I've heard that the new ruby interpreter v1.9 is able to handle native
OS threads. However, i've tried a few different ways of running
multiple interpreters in separate threads (on XP), and it doesn't seem
to work. Is there any special initialization to make to the ruby
interpreter, or something i might be missing?

Thanks!

I am not sure, but just as a warning, I don't think 1.9 native threads
don't deliver what you might think. It's my understanding that while
there is native thread support, there will be a global interpreter
lock, so that for virtually everything happening only one thread will
be executing at a time pretty much all the time.

Deb 123

Tom said:
I am not sure, but just as a warning, I don't think 1.9 native threads
don't deliver what you might think. It's my understanding that while
there is native thread support, there will be a global interpreter
lock, so that for virtually everything happening only one thread will
be executing at a time pretty much all the time.

Thanks Tom, Sorry for the late reply. So it's multithreading, but it
still has to run sequentially.. Well I guess i'll have to find a way
around it ;)
Thanks for clearing that up!