Embedding Ruby in Firefox addons.

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by John Carter, Apr 19, 2007.

  1. John Carter

    John Carter Guest

    Ok, so finally I'm being pushed to do a Ruby GUI.

    I have long claimed that if I ever did a gui again, I would use gecko.

    Now the push comes to the shove and I'm looking at the problem
    again... And I'm starting to think I'm wrong.

    Writing a standalone app that uses Gecko as the gui / layout engine is
    wrong... the correct approach is to use firefox as the app, and just
    write a firefox addon.

    So my question is this...

    Does anyone have a "hello world" firefox addon that will allow the
    user to enter a parameter and then invoke a ruby script with that
    parameter and display the result in a firefox window?

    Thanks,

    John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
    Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
    PO Box 1645 Christchurch Email :
    New Zealand

    John Carter, Apr 19, 2007

  2. John Carter wrote:
    > Does anyone have a "hello world" firefox addon that will allow the
    > user to enter a parameter and then invoke a ruby script with that
    > parameter and display the result in a firefox window?

    I think the right way to do this is to use Camping to build
    the app, and when you launch it, to use one of the browser
    communication APIs to make an existing browser open a new
    tab, or to launch a configured browser, on the localhost URL
    that the Camping app is serving. That way it'll work on a
    wider range of browsers.

    I have a collection of code snippets for such browser
    communications. One for the Mac, one a Netscape Unix X-Windows
    thing, and a couple of different methods for Windows. I plan
    sometime to make these into a multi-platform Ruby extension
    GEM that can be used in the way described. No promises as to
    when however - I can't look at it for more than a month. If
    someone else wants to do it, I can send what I have.

    Clifford Heath.

    Clifford Heath, Apr 20, 2007