    engine.

    Thanks,
    Daniel.

    Daniel Pitts, May 5, 2009

  2. On May 4, 9:23 pm, Daniel Pitts
    <> wrote:
    > I was wondering about and hoping for a way to embed or control a web
    > browser from within a Java application. It doesn't have to be
    > cross-platform, but that is a bonus.

    Check out the https://jdic.dev.java.net/ demo 'Browser'.
    "This demo embeds a WebBrowser component to render the
    HTML page specified in the URL text field. "
    "Note: To run this demo, you must use Internet Explorer
    or Mozilla (1.4 or a higher version) on Windows platforms;
    use Mozilla (1.4 or a higher version) on Linux/Unix
    platforms."

    F-U set to c.l.j.g. only.

    --
    Andrew T.
    pscode.org

    Andrew Thompson, May 5, 2009

  3. Daniel Pitts

    Nigel Wade Guest

    Daniel Pitts wrote:

    > I was wondering about and hoping for a way to embed or control a web
    > browser from within a Java application. It doesn't have to be
    > cross-platform, but that is a bonus.
    >
    > It also doesn't have to be Firefox, but that is a big bonus. My project
    > is basically going to monitor some of my favorite sites, and when they
    > change, download the latest version of them for offline viewing. It
    > would be nice if there could be a good integration with FF's rendering
    > engine.

    Do you need to integrate the rendering? Could you use an external FF
    application?

    As I understand it (it's not something I've even looked into, never mind
    actually tried) you can communicate with a running FF process via a socket.
    Also, if you run FF and FF determines that another instance is already running
    on that display then instead of starting a new instance it sends a message to
    the running app. asking it to display the requested URL.

    --
    Nigel Wade

    Nigel Wade, May 5, 2009
  4. "Daniel Pitts" <> wrote in message
    > I was wondering about and hoping for a way to embed or control a web
    > browser from within a Java application. It doesn't have to be
    > cross-platform, but that is a bonus.
    >
    > It also doesn't have to be Firefox, but that is a big bonus. My project
    > is basically going to monitor some of my favorite sites, and when they
    > change, download the latest version of them for offline viewing. It would
    > be nice if there could be a good integration with FF's rendering engine.

    Have you heard about JWebPane? It's a new Swing component that's due in
    Java 7 I believe and is basically a Java front end to a WebKit browser pane.
    I realise you cannot use it now but you may like to factor it in to your
    longer term plans.

    --
    Regards,

    Jarrick

    "If you want the car in front of you to go faster, try to overtake it."
    [] (Lose your prejudice before
    emailing me)

    Jarrick Chagma, May 7, 2009
  5. Daniel Pitts

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Jarrick Chagma wrote:
    > "Daniel Pitts" <> wrote in
    > message news:vbPLl.2622$%...
    >> I was wondering about and hoping for a way to embed or control a web
    >> browser from within a Java application. It doesn't have to be
    >> cross-platform, but that is a bonus.
    >>
    >> It also doesn't have to be Firefox, but that is a big bonus. My
    >> project is basically going to monitor some of my favorite sites, and
    >> when they change, download the latest version of them for offline
    >> viewing. It would be nice if there could be a good integration with
    >> FF's rendering engine.

    > Have you heard about JWebPane? It's a new Swing component that's due in
    > Java 7 I believe and is basically a Java front end to a WebKit browser
    > pane. I realise you cannot use it now but you may like to factor it in
    > to your longer term plans.

    That's an idea. I hadn't heard of it before. My application is mostly
    for my own use, so I have no problem using not-yet-stable components for
    now. I'll look into it.

    Thanks,
    Daniel.

    Daniel Pitts, May 7, 2009