Embedding Windows/smart client controls in a Web Controls page

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Martin Eyles, Feb 17, 2005.

  1. Martin Eyles

    Martin Eyles Guest

    I would like to embed a windows controls or smart client controls in a web
    page, in a similar way to which a java applet or a flash applet or an active
    x control is embedded. I read something somewhere about compiling the
    control to a dll, and then putting this dll in the web server directory, and
    setting the classid to the url to this.

    Is there a way of doing this all automatically as part of one project, or
    one solution?

    Also, is there a way of selecting a different version (smart client or
    windows control) depending on the PC viewing the page. I was thinking of
    something that detects the version of the browser (ie. looking for pocket
    internet explorer or normal internet explorer).

    Thanks,
    Martin

    --
    Martin Eyles
    Martin Eyles, Feb 17, 2005

  2. Martin Eyles

    bruce barker Guest

    for a window control, you can add the dll project to your web app sln, set a
    reference to in the web project, so the dll is copied to your bin by VS.
    there are a couple of issues with this:

    1) the user must install the .net framework (22mb download)
    2) the page will take a while to render because the page must load the .net
    vm, create an app domain, and load the dll.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Feb 18, 2005

  3. Martin Eyles

    Martin Eyles Guest

    I tried this, but the dll doesn't load up. I then tried putting the dll in
    the url bar in internet explorer. It gives the following error:

    An exception 'System.Security.SecurityException' has occured in IEExec.exe.

    Has anyone got any ideas how to solve this problem

    Thanks,
    Martin

    --
    Martin Eyles