  1. Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how I can embed the windows media 9
    player in my page so users don't have to download it to see my videos?

    www.easydesktopyoga.com/download.html

    Christopher R, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Christopher R

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <bp0dfn$1iti2t$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how I can embed the windows media 9
    > player in my page so users don't have to download it to see my videos?

    Your viewers will ALWAYS have to download the player if they do not have
    it (most windows machines have it.) But I dont think that is what you
    are asking.

    Here is the code to embed the video on a web page.

    http://www.webreference.com/js/column51/install.html

    Make the appropriate changes to it fits your needs.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Christopher R

    Spartanicus Guest

    Spartanicus, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Christopher R

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article
    <>,
    says...
    > >Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how I can embed the windows media 9
    > >player in my page

    > Bad idea: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm
    > >so users don't have to download it to see my videos?

    > http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

    They had better checkout their info. They say: Streaming live content
    like net-radio requires a "streaming media server", This is completely
    untrue. If the user can download it faster than they need to view it.
    Then it is streaming. Everything is client side.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Nov 13, 2003
  5. Christopher R

    Richard Guest

    Christopher! wrote:

    > Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how I can embed the windows media 9
    > player in my page so users don't have to download it to see my videos?

    > www.easydesktopyoga.com/download.html

    Ask the host if they allow running an application in the background.
    Doing so may cause an overload on the equipment and drive up your bandwidth.
    Then how are 100 simultaneous viewers gonna see the flick?
    For each viewer, you'd have to have a sepertate instance running.

    Richard, Nov 14, 2003
  6. Christopher R

    DU Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:

    > In article <bp0dfn$1iti2t$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how I can embed the windows media 9
    >>player in my page so users don't have to download it to see my videos?

    > Your viewers will ALWAYS have to download the player if they do not have
    > it (most windows machines have it.) But I dont think that is what you
    > are asking.
    >
    > Here is the code to embed the video on a web page.
    >
    > http://www.webreference.com/js/column51/install.html

    Column 51 was
    Created: October 25, 1999
    Revised: November 23, 1999

    > Make the appropriate changes to it fits your needs.

    WMP9 classid's is:
    classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"

    The given classid at that column51 is for WMP7 I think.

    DU

    DU, Nov 14, 2003
  7. Christopher R

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <bp1tt4$fnt$>,
    says...
    > > Here is the code to embed the video on a web page.
    > > http://www.webreference.com/js/column51/install.html

    > Column 51 was
    > Created: October 25, 1999
    > Revised: November 23, 1999
    > > Make the appropriate changes to it fits your needs.

    > WMP9 classid's is:
    > classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
    > The given classid at that column51 is for WMP7 I think.

    You still want to use the progid of 6.4 or 7.1 If you use 9's progID,
    and they have not upgraded nothing will happen. If you use 6.4 or 7.1
    and they have upgraded the upgraded version will play.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Nov 14, 2003
  8. Christopher R

    George Self Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:

    > In article <bp0dfn$1iti2t$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    >> Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how I can embed the windows media 9
    >> player in my page so users don't have to download it to see my videos?

    > Your viewers will ALWAYS have to download the player if they do not have
    > it (most windows machines have it.) But I dont think that is what you
    > are asking.

    Remember, though, that non-windows machines (Linux, for example) will not
    have the Windows Media Player. If you chose to embed your media, consider
    also creating a link so those of us using Linux can click-to-view if we
    want.

    > Here is the code to embed the video on a web page.
    >
    > http://www.webreference.com/js/column51/install.html
    >
    > Make the appropriate changes to it fits your needs.

    --George

    George Self, Nov 14, 2003
  9. Thanks for these helpful insights. Take a look at:
    http://www.reuters.com/news.jhtml and click on Reuters Television. Looks
    like the flash player in embedded. Does anyone have thoughts about this?

    Christopher R, Nov 14, 2003
  10. Whitecrest wrote:

    > They had better checkout their info. They say: Streaming live content
    > like net-radio requires a "streaming media server", This is completely
    > untrue. If the user can download it faster than they need to view it.
    > Then it is streaming. Everything is client side.

    Well, that all depends on your definition of "streaming". A lot of people
    would use a definition where there is *never* any file downloaded to the
    user's computer except perhaps a codec or two, and maybe the media player
    itself, but not the media file.

    The media file is stored only on the server. The server sends parts of the
    file, piece-by-piece to the client. The client plays and then discards
    each piece.[1]

    As the file is never saved to the user's disk it can prevent some less
    engineering users from "pirating" the file. Of course without proper
    encryption (which some streaming media servers do support, but seems to be
    rarely used) this is hardly foolproof.

    It is also useful if the media file is long (infinite? Think live
    broadcasts!) so couldn't possibly be downloaded the user's hard-drive.

    [1]This is how streaming works if you buy the proper media suites from
    Real Networks, Microsoft, Apple, etc.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 14, 2003
  11. George Self wrote:

    > Remember, though, that non-windows machines (Linux, for example) will not
    > have the Windows Media Player. If you chose to embed your media, consider
    > also creating a link so those of us using Linux can click-to-view if we
    > want.

    Very true.

    For some reason or reasons unknown, sometimes Mozilla seems to let me view
    an embedded media file using an embedded Xine control. Other times it
    doesn't. I've not really looked into it much, as I don't often find the
    need to do such things, but it is curious.

    So yes, please also provide a plain link to the media file. It has other
    uses too:

    - a user is on a connection too slow to stream, but is willing
    to download and watch later; or

    - a user is on a PalmPilot or similar handheld device with crappy
    sound and low colour and wants to bookmark the URL of the movie
    so that he can sync it with his Apple Powerbook and watch the
    movie in widescreen with surround sound.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 14, 2003
  12. Christopher R

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Well, that all depends on your definition of "streaming"....

    Of course you realize this has the potential or an argument about
    semantics and definitions. So lets not go there.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Nov 14, 2003
  13. Christopher R

    Spartanicus Guest

    Toby A Inkster wrote:

    >Well, that all depends on your definition of "streaming". A lot of people
    >would use a definition where there is *never* any file downloaded to the
    >user's computer except perhaps a codec or two, and maybe the media player
    >itself, but not the media file.
    >
    >The media file is stored only on the server.

    Except when streaming live/real-time data like net-radio, then there is
    no media data stored on the server either.

    >The server sends parts of the
    >file, piece-by-piece to the client. The client plays and then discards
    >each piece.[1]
    >
    >As the file is never saved to the user's disk it can prevent some less
    >engineering users from "pirating" the file. Of course without proper
    >encryption (which some streaming media servers do support, but seems to be
    >rarely used) this is hardly foolproof.

    Streaming media servers usually employ proprietary/closed transport
    protocols, this alone makes it difficult for the average user to save
    the media locally (there are a few programs available to do that).

    >It is also useful if the media file is long (infinite? Think live
    >broadcasts!) so couldn't possibly be downloaded the user's hard-drive.
    >
    >[1]This is how streaming works if you buy the proper media suites from
    >Real Networks, Microsoft, Apple, etc.

    This is also how it works if you use simple redirector files instead of
    buying media suites (Streaming server software).

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Nov 17, 2003