    acctually need, and not imparing Python's capabilities?

    Previous experiance would be greatly appreciated,

    Jens Thiede.

    Jens Thiede, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Jens Thiede

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Jens Thiede wrote:

    > I want to use python heavily on my embeded linux. What would the best
    > way be to slim down Python. Only keep those modules you would
    > acctually need, and not imparing Python's capabilities?
    >
    > Previous experiance would be greatly appreciated,

    What kinds of constraints do you have as to memory or storage space?

    We had Python running once on a 1MB RAM/1MB Flash machine, but eventually
    the difficulties involved pushed us to a larger processor which had 32MB
    RAM and 64MB Compact Flash (which is several times more than we actually
    need by the way). Both of these were embedded systems.

    Generally I believe the cost of maintaining a specialized version of
    Python such as what we first had would be larger than the cost of just
    buying better/larger hardware. Our volumes are very low, however, so
    perhaps you would weight things differently.

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Feb 13, 2004