    --
    Disco Octopus
    www.choicebeefjerky.com.au
    Disco Octopus, May 13, 2009

  2. Disco Octopus

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Disco Octopus <> wrote:

    > I have been asked to embed a video in one of my web sites.
    >
    > Of all the time I have spent on building sites, I have actually never
    > done this. I can think of some reasons not to do this, but he is the
    > customer, and that's what he want... Hhhmmm. Anyway....
    >
    > A couple of questions...
    > 1. What is the best/most accessible format to use (.wmv, .ogg, etc)?
    > 2. How best to embed it? Should I opt for a choice in the format, and
    > therefore the embedding method?

    Consider not getting a headache and loading it up to youTube and getting
    their code to make it play on your page. Come back and tell about your
    experience with this.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 13, 2009

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
    <> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-
    :

    > In article <>,
    > Disco Octopus <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have been asked to embed a video in one of my web sites.
    >>
    >> Of all the time I have spent on building sites, I have actually never
    >> done this. I can think of some reasons not to do this, but he is the
    >> customer, and that's what he want... Hhhmmm. Anyway....
    >>
    >> A couple of questions...
    >> 1. What is the best/most accessible format to use (.wmv, .ogg, etc)?
    >> 2. How best to embed it? Should I opt for a choice in the format, and
    >> therefore the embedding method?

    > Consider not getting a headache and loading it up to youTube and

    getting
    > their code to make it play on your page. Come back and tell about your
    > experience with this.

    Agree with you completely. Recently, I was given a wmv movie done by my
    client's daughter. Try as I might, every single time I tried to open
    that file on my computer, my video card would crash! After rebooting
    three times, and cursing don't know how many times, I finally uploaded
    the thing to Youtube, and embedded it in my client's website from there.
    Much better - let Youtube deal with it.

    You're more than welcome to have a look:
    http://favoriteplacerestaurant.com/tour.php - and yes, everything is
    absolutely delicious.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, May 13, 2009
  4. Disco Octopus

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 13 May 2009, Disco Octopus <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Long time... Hope you are all well.
    >
    > I have been asked to embed a video in one of my web sites.
    >
    > Of all the time I have spent on building sites, I have actually never
    > done this. I can think of some reasons not to do this, but he is the
    > customer, and that's what he want... Hhhmmm. Anyway....
    >
    > A couple of questions...
    > 1. What is the best/most accessible format to use (.wmv, .ogg, etc)?
    > 2. How best to embed it? Should I opt for a choice in the format, and
    > therefore the embedding method?

    Despite the comical anecdotes from the women, I'd advise using Flash
    (-not for the page, only for the vids [as .flv files]). I have
    single-page selectible clips on my adult sites in both wmv/mpg and
    flv/mp4 formats, the latter using the excellent and free jw player, and
    in a day or so I will have an entire movie up on the regular .org site
    (where there is currently a more-or-less sample page called "misc
    clips" or something like that). Check it out. Sure, javascript is
    required as well as the requisite plugins, but do you really think you
    can provide video content for the ultra-conservatives?

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    Neredbojias, May 13, 2009
  5. Disco Octopus

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 13 May 2009 19:36:22 +1000, Disco Octopus
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Long time... Hope you are all well.
    >
    >I have been asked to embed a video in one of my web sites.
    >
    >Of all the time I have spent on building sites, I have actually never
    >done this. I can think of some reasons not to do this, but he is the
    >customer, and that's what he want... Hhhmmm. Anyway....
    >
    >A couple of questions...
    >1. What is the best/most accessible format to use (.wmv, .ogg, etc)?
    >2. How best to embed it? Should I opt for a choice in the format, and
    >therefore the embedding method?
    >
    >Thanks

    <http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?area=products&product=video>

    get swish video 3.
    Various styles of controls are included so there's no need to link to
    adobe.

    It will create what you need to put in on web page.
    richard, May 14, 2009
  6. Disco Octopus

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On May 13, 4:36 am, Disco Octopus <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Long time... Hope you are all well.
    >
    > I have been asked to embed a video in one of my web sites.
    >
    > Of all the time I have spent on building sites, I have actually never
    > done this.  I can think of some reasons not to do this, but he is the
    > customer, and that's what he want... Hhhmmm.  Anyway....
    >
    > A couple of questions...
    > 1. What is the best/most accessible format to use (.wmv, .ogg, etc)?
    > 2. How best to embed it? Should I opt for a choice in the format, and
    > therefore the embedding method?

    If you give only one format choice on a page, modern flash flv/swf
    likely is the best way to go for general web pages. Sites with heavy
    video activity, pay sites, and other special purpose ones may make one
    opt for some other format. However it is quite possible to offer more
    than one video format and the same format for various speeds such as
    high or low broadband. Video on dialup speeds usually leaves very much
    to be desired and works best for fairly static images, such as someone
    seated reading the news. Flash flv/swf will stream well by progressive
    download from an ordinary html server provided the download rate
    provided by an isp can keep up with the rate required by the video. If
    you are interested only in videos, there is no need to buy the very
    expensive official full flash suites. There are several flv/swf
    encoders available at reasonable price. I am currently using the Moyea
    Flash Video MX Pro, which costs US$90+, but this company and others
    have less complete encoders for about 1/2 as much as this one. You can
    input several video formats to convert to flv/swf. You can control bit
    rate, video codec used, make many styles of players in the swf file
    which is encoded along with the swf file, and do many types of
    adjustments. Your output is a flv file which contains only video
    information and a swf container file that includes the custom player
    you made. You upload both of these files to the same directory on your
    server. You only call for the swf file in your html code. When you do
    so, the server automatically starts downloading the flv to a temporary
    cache on the viewing computer.

    Some people think of flash only in terms of the early versions with
    cartoon-like images. There is still plenty of that in flash ads. The
    older Sorenson H263 codec was replaced by Flash 8 which allowed high
    quality video. Also flv files come in 4 versions for special purposes,
    but all can use the extension .flv without problems. Recently the H264
    codec has been added. This is based on mp4 and allows flash video
    quality equal or better than many of the other video formats. Flash
    video has now nearly displaced Real and WMV on many large sites that
    include video such as YouTube, MySpace, major US news network, and
    federal government agencies. With the improved H264 codec and support
    of a native movie frame rates, Adobe may now be able to replace many
    Microsoft streaming sites.

    At present, there is a problem for flash support on Microsoft 64 bit
    OSs when the 64 bit version of IE7 is used. The browser will tell you
    you need flash and direct you to the Adobe site for a download.
    However when you opt to take the download, nothing happens. If you go
    directly to Adobe on a Vista 64 bit OS using the usual 64-bit version
    of IE7 and try to install flash, you get a message that it can not be
    installed and that native 64 bit support will be included in the next
    version. However, even on a 64 bit Vista OS, you will have no problem
    with flash if you use a Firefox, Opera, Safari for Windows, or likely
    several other browsers. On my new Dell 64 bit Studio XPS PC, another
    solution is provided. If you go to all programs you will find the
    correct 64 bit version of IE7 which will not work for flash. However
    you find a selection labeled just IE7 which is either the standard 32
    bit or some modified version that will work for flash and likely for
    other 64 bit related issues.

    If you will go to http://www.cwdjr.net/flash3/catfight.php you will
    find an embedded flash video page that I just completed. It is for
    high broadband for maximum quality. It uses the most recent H264
    codec, native movie frame rate, and a 2180 kbps video bitrate. You
    will notice the custom player which is contained in the swf container
    file.
    cwdjrxyz, May 14, 2009
  7. Disco Octopus

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > On May 13, 4:36 am, Disco Octopus <> wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Long time... Hope you are all well.
    > >
    > > I have been asked to embed a video in one of my web sites.
    > >
    > > Of all the time I have spent on building sites, I have actually never
    > > done this.  I can think of some reasons not to do this, but he is the
    > > customer, and that's what he want... Hhhmmm.  Anyway....
    > >
    > > A couple of questions...
    > > 1. What is the best/most accessible format to use (.wmv, .ogg, etc)?
    > > 2. How best to embed it? Should I opt for a choice in the format, and
    > > therefore the embedding method?

    > If you give only one format choice on a page, modern flash flv/swf
    > likely is the best way to go for general web pages. Sites with heavy
    > video activity, pay sites, ...

    I want you to know cwdjrxyz that I keep your remarks on this sort of
    thing in a special folder for reference. You have been most generous in
    explaining a lot of this stuff for quite some time now.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 14, 2009
  8. Disco Octopus

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 14 May 2009, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > If you will go to http://www.cwdjr.net/flash3/catfight.php you will
    > find an embedded flash video page that I just completed. It is for
    > high broadband for maximum quality. It uses the most recent H264
    > codec, native movie frame rate, and a 2180 kbps video bitrate. You
    > will notice the custom player which is contained in the swf container
    > file.

    Excellent quality, superior rendition, and _nice_ player! If you don't
    mind my asking, what was the native frame rate?

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    Neredbojias, May 14, 2009
  9. Disco Octopus

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On May 14, 8:16 am, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > On 14 May 2009, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    >
    > > If you will go tohttp://www.cwdjr.net/flash3/catfight.phpyou will
    > > find an embedded flash video page that I just completed. It is for
    > > high broadband for maximum quality. It uses the most recent H264
    > > codec, native movie frame rate, and a 2180 kbps video bitrate. You
    > > will notice the custom player which is contained in the swf container
    > > file.

    > Excellent quality, superior rendition, and _nice_ player!  If you don't
    > mind my asking, what was the native frame rate?

    On encoding, I just selected original frame rate. You could also have
    selected other frame rates. Checking back on the summary of settings
    used before I started encoding, I find that the native frame rate was
    29.+ fps. This number is just slightly under 30 fps and is used a lot
    for sound era movies, although slower frame rates were used in the
    silent era. Why this fractional number was selected instead of 30 fps
    is unknown to me, but it is quite common.
    cwdjrxyz, May 14, 2009
  10. Disco Octopus

    rf Guest

    cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > On May 14, 8:16 am, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >> On 14 May 2009, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you will go tohttp://www.cwdjr.net/flash3/catfight.phpyou will
    >>> find an embedded flash video page that I just completed. It is for
    >>> high broadband for maximum quality. It uses the most recent H264
    >>> codec, native movie frame rate, and a 2180 kbps video bitrate. You
    >>> will notice the custom player which is contained in the swf
    >>> container file.

    >> Excellent quality, superior rendition, and _nice_ player! If you
    >> don't mind my asking, what was the native frame rate?

    > On encoding, I just selected original frame rate. You could also have
    > selected other frame rates. Checking back on the summary of settings
    > used before I started encoding, I find that the native frame rate was
    > 29.+ fps. This number is just slightly under 30 fps and is used a lot
    > for sound era movies, although slower frame rates were used in the
    > silent era. Why this fractional number was selected instead of 30 fps
    > is unknown to me, but it is quite common.

    29.97?

    That's the frame rate of NTSC (Never Twice the Same Colour) analogue
    television as used in the U S of A.

    More sane countries use PAL at 25 FPS.
    rf, May 15, 2009
  11. Disco Octopus

    David Mark Guest

    On May 14, 5:05 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    >  cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    > > On May 13, 4:36 am, Disco Octopus <> wrote:
    > > > Hi,

    > > > Long time... Hope you are all well.

    > > > I have been asked to embed a video in one of my web sites.

    > > > Of all the time I have spent on building sites, I have actually never
    > > > done this.  I can think of some reasons not to do this, but he is the
    > > > customer, and that's what he want... Hhhmmm.  Anyway....

    > > > A couple of questions...
    > > > 1. What is the best/most accessible format to use (.wmv, .ogg, etc)?
    > > > 2. How best to embed it? Should I opt for a choice in the format, and
    > > > therefore the embedding method?

    > > If you give only one format choice on a page, modern flash flv/swf
    > > likely is the best way to go for general web pages. Sites with heavy
    > > video activity, pay sites, ...

    > I want you to know cwdjrxyz that I keep your remarks on this sort of
    > thing in a special folder for reference. You have been most generous in
    > explaining a lot of this stuff for quite some time now.

    Your special folder now contains a recipe for Flash that invariably
    fails in the latest Windows version(s) when used with IE. What do you
    plan to cook up with that?
    David Mark, May 15, 2009
  12. Disco Octopus

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    David Mark <> wrote:

    > > I want you to know cwdjrxyz that I keep your remarks on this sort of
    > > thing in a special folder for reference. You have been most generous in
    > > explaining a lot of this stuff for quite some time now.
    > >

    > Your special folder now contains a recipe for Flash that invariably
    > fails in the latest Windows version(s) when used with IE. What do you
    > plan to cook up with that?

    I like a sharp eye and I might tell you what I am going to do when I get
    time to attend to this matter. In the meantime - buster - I take the low
    down easy route to earthly happiness, and use the free youTube as I
    mentioned in another post. btw, I am very surprised you have time to
    post here Mark, so early after you promised to read all my posts for the
    last two years. <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 15, 2009
  13. Disco Octopus

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On May 14, 3:36 am, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
> [...]

    > version. However, even on a 64 bit Vista OS, you will have no problem
    > with flash if you use a Firefox, Opera, Safari for Windows, or likely
    > several other browsers. On my new Dell 64 bit Studio XPS PC, another
    > solution is provided. If you go to all programs you will find the
    > correct 64 bit version of IE7 which will not work for flash. However
    > you find a selection labeled just IE7 which is either the standard 32
    > bit or some modified version that will work for flash and likely for
    > other 64 bit related issues.
    >
    > If you will go tohttp://www.cwdjr.net/flash3/catfight.phpyou will
    > find an embedded flash video page that I just completed. It is for
    > high broadband for maximum quality. It uses the most recent H264
    > codec, native movie frame rate, and a 2180 kbps video bitrate. You
    > will notice the custom player which is contained in the swf container

    As I said above, one can offer a choice of several players. See
    http://www.cwdjr.net/flash3/catfightclips.php for the same video in 4
    formats. This involves much php. When you select a player from the
    image map, your choice is reported to the server which writes the html
    code for the player you selected and downloads it to your computer.
    This avoids the clutter of code that will not be needed once you have
    made a selection. Also it works even if script is turned off on the
    computer. If you select a player that that is not installed on the
    computer, usually you just get no view of anything new and can then
    select another player.

    When there are updated versions of OSs, browsers, or players, issues
    can show up from time to time. Often these are soon corrected, but
    until they are you usually can choose another type of player. For
    example the K-Meleon browser is not working for wmp since the last
    upgrade of it, but it still is working for the other 3 players. I will
    look into that, but since this browser is not widely used, I am in no
    rush and likely will wait and see if the issue goes away with the next
    frequent udate of K-Meleon.

    I predict the issue for flash on 64 bit Vista used with 64 bit IE7
    will be resolved soon. Adobe likely will be rushing to solve this
    problem because their flash is so widely used. On a personal level I
    could care less because I only use the IE7 browser to check web pages
    I have written. Other browsers I use do not have this 64 bit problem.
    However there are those who still use the very imperfect IE7 browser
    which can not even support any type of xhtml served properly as
    application/xhtml+xml although xhtml has now been around many years,
    while most other often used browsers have good true xhtml support. It
    is interesting that the flash issue for 64 bit Vista shows up on the
    64 bit IE7 browser, but not current versions of Firefox, Opera, Safari
    for Windows, K-Melon, and likely other browsers I have not tried. It
    is also interesting to note that flash has replaced Windows media
    formats on many large sites mentioned earlier. Thus, I would not
    expect Microsoft to expend much effort to overcome the problem, even
    though other most used browsers do not have the problem. I suppose
    some might consider conspiracy theories, but as very many strange
    things have happened on IE browsers over the years, the problem could
    well be just an accident.
    cwdjrxyz, May 15, 2009
  14. Disco Octopus

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On May 15, 12:22 am, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    > I predict the issue for flash on 64 bit Vista used with 64 bit IE7
    > will be resolved soon. Adobe likely will be rushing to solve this
    > problem because their flash is so widely used. On a personal level I
    > could care less because I only use the IE7 browser to check web pages
    > I have written. Other browsers I use do not have this 64 bit problem.
    > However there are those who still use the very imperfect IE7 browser
    > which can not even support any type of xhtml served properly as
    > application/xhtml+xml although xhtml has now been around many years,
    > while most other often used browsers have good true xhtml support. It
    > is interesting that the flash issue for 64 bit Vista shows up on the
    > 64 bit IE7 browser, but not current versions of Firefox, Opera, Safari
    > for Windows, K-Melon, and likely other browsers I have not tried. It
    > is also interesting to note that flash has replaced Windows media
    > formats on many large sites mentioned earlier. Thus, I would not
    > expect Microsoft to expend much effort to overcome the problem, even
    > though other most used browsers do not have the problem. I suppose
    > some might consider conspiracy theories, but as very many strange
    > things have happened on IE browsers over the years, the problem could
    > well be just an accident.

    I just took a look at the YouTube and MySpace sites on a 64 bit Visa
    OS using the 64-bit IE7. You would not believe how calm and peaceful
    both sites were. Both use mainly flash videos and music, and many use
    autostart. But even YouTube's featured top videos would not play.
    Going back to both sites using Firefox instead of 64 bit IE7, both
    sites were normal. My parrot, who is a member of MySpace, posted in a
    forum there explaining the 64 bit problem. Both MySpace and YouTube
    had a very large number of posts about videos not working, although
    there are many possible reasons why a video may not work.
    cwdjrxyz, May 15, 2009
  15. Disco Octopus

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 14 May 2009, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > On May 14, 8:16 am, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >> On 14 May 2009, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > If you will go tohttp://www.cwdjr.net/flash3/catfight.phpyou will
    >> > find an embedded flash video page that I just completed. It is for
    >> > high broadband for maximum quality. It uses the most recent H264
    >> > codec, native movie frame rate, and a 2180 kbps video bitrate. You
    >> > will notice the custom player which is contained in the swf
    >> > container file.

    >> Excellent quality, superior rendition, and _nice_ player!  If you
    >> don't mind my asking, what was the native frame rate?

    > On encoding, I just selected original frame rate. You could also have
    > selected other frame rates. Checking back on the summary of settings
    > used before I started encoding, I find that the native frame rate was
    > 29.+ fps. This number is just slightly under 30 fps and is used a lot
    > for sound era movies, although slower frame rates were used in the
    > silent era. Why this fractional number was selected instead of 30 fps
    > is unknown to me, but it is quite common.

    Sounds like ntsc, dropped just under 30 to solve sound-and-color
    interference. I thought it might have been PAL because the vid was in
    French (but I s'pose it could be Canadian, et al.) Merci beaucoup.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    Neredbojias, May 15, 2009
  16. On May 13, 5:59 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > Consider not getting a headache and loading it up to youTube and getting
    > their code to make it play on your page. Come back and tell about your
    > experience with this.

    The problem with youtube is the link back to their site. Better to
    upload it to youtube, then download the resultant FLV file. Then put
    it on your own server and use one of the many free Flash players you
    can easily skin and put on your web page.

    Let youtube convert the file for you. But serve the file yourself.
    Travis Newbury, May 15, 2009
  17. Disco Octopus

    David Mark Guest

    On May 15, 1:22 am, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > I predict the issue for flash on 64 bit Vista used with 64 bit IE7
    > will be resolved soon. Adobe likely will be rushing to solve this
    > problem because their flash is so widely used.

    Horse feathers. I predict it won't be fixed soon and that you work
    for Adobe. And regardless, you can't build sites with predictions.

    [snip]
    David Mark, May 15, 2009
  18. Disco Octopus

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On May 15, 9:05 am, David Mark <> wrote:
    > On May 15, 1:22 am, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >

    > > I predict the issue for flash on 64 bit Vista used with 64 bit IE7
    > > will be resolved soon. Adobe likely will be rushing to solve this
    > > problem because their flash is so widely used.

    > Horse feathers.  I predict it won't be fixed soon and that you work
    > for Adobe.  And regardless, you can't build sites with predictions.

    Time will tell. I expect that the many users of flash ads will become
    quite upset when they hear that their ads are not being seen on 64 bit
    Vista using 64 bit IE7. I expect they may complain to Adobe,
    Microsoft, federal government agencies, and anyone else they can think
    of until the problem is solved.

    I never have worked for Adobe or any other software or media company.
    Many think there is money to be made in selling of video and music and
    thus want a piece of the action. Thus they use dozens of video and
    audio formats, give you free player programs, etc in hope you will buy
    some media they offer or media related programs. Hence we have a media
    format war that makes the old browser war era look tame by comparison.
    Real media was displaced on many large commercial web sites by
    Microsoft media formats. Now with video quality greatly improved on
    flv/swf, it has displaced Microsoft video formats on many large sites.
    Who knows what tomorrow will bring. I do expect that Adobe, Real,
    Microsoft, and Apple will continue to leave no stone unturned in their
    attempts to gain more of the media market. None of the video formats
    used on the web are anywhere near perfect. The different ways various
    formats greatly compress video can make some differences even if the
    various formats are at the same bit rate. How do you trade off video
    vs sound quality etc. To get top DVD quality streaming on the web, you
    would need a connection that allows over 10 Mbps for good streaming.
    But even DVDs are compressed considerably. Hence the need for much
    higher rates. A Blu-ray movie of average length may use 35 to over 40
    GB on a 50 GB DL Blu-ray disc. Even this does not allow the full
    resolution of the best that 70 mm film movies can offer.

    Finally, do you work for Microsoft or do contract work for them?
    cwdjrxyz, May 15, 2009
  19. Disco Octopus

    David Mark Guest

    On May 15, 5:58 pm, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    > On May 15, 9:05 am, David Mark <> wrote:
    >
    > > On May 15, 1:22 am, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > > [snip]

    > > > I predict the issue for flash on 64 bit Vista used with 64 bit IE7
    > > > will be resolved soon. Adobe likely will be rushing to solve this
    > > > problem because their flash is so widely used.

    > > Horse feathers.  I predict it won't be fixed soon and that you work
    > > for Adobe.  And regardless, you can't build sites with predictions.

    > Time will tell. I expect that the many users of flash ads will become
    > quite upset when they hear that their ads are not being seen on 64 bit
    > Vista using 64 bit IE7. I expect they may complain to Adobe,
    > Microsoft, federal government agencies, and anyone else they can think
    > of until the problem is solved.

    Piffle. What does that mean to the guy building a site *today*.

    [snip filler]

    > Finally, do you work for Microsoft or do contract work for them?

    Who do you think I am? They'd have to pay me an obscene amount of
    money to talk to them (or use a shell company.)
    David Mark, May 15, 2009
  20. Disco Octopus

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On May 15, 4:58 pm, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    > On May 15, 9:05 am, David Mark <> wrote:
    >
    > > On May 15, 1:22 am, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > > [snip]

    > > > I predict the issue for flash on 64 bit Vista used with 64 bit IE7
    > > > will be resolved soon. Adobe likely will be rushing to solve this
    > > > problem because their flash is so widely used.

    > > Horse feathers.  I predict it won't be fixed soon and that you work
    > > for Adobe.  And regardless, you can't build sites with predictions.

    > Time will tell. I expect that the many users of flash ads will become
    > quite upset when they hear that their ads are not being seen on 64 bit
    > Vista using 64 bit IE7. I expect they may complain to Adobe,
    > Microsoft, federal government agencies, and anyone else they can think
    > of until the problem is solved.
    >
    > I never have worked for Adobe or any other software or media company.
    > Many think there is money to be made in selling of video and music and
    > thus want a piece of the action. Thus they use dozens of video and
    > audio formats, give you free player programs, etc in hope you will buy
    > some media they offer or media related programs. Hence we have a media
    > format war that makes the old browser war era look tame by comparison.
    > Real media was displaced on many large commercial web sites by
    > Microsoft media formats. Now with video quality greatly improved on
    > flv/swf, it has displaced Microsoft video formats on many large sites.
    > Who knows what tomorrow will bring. I do expect that Adobe, Real,
    > Microsoft, and Apple will continue to leave no stone unturned in their
    > attempts to gain more of the media market. None of the video formats
    > used on the web are anywhere near perfect. The different ways various
    > formats greatly compress video can make some differences even if the
    > various formats are at the same bit rate. How do you trade off video
    > vs sound quality etc. To get top DVD quality streaming on the web, you
    > would need a connection that allows over 10 Mbps for good streaming.
    > But even DVDs are compressed considerably. Hence the need for much
    > higher rates. A Blu-ray movie of average length  may use 35 to over 40
    > GB on a 50 GB DL Blu-ray disc. Even this does not allow the full
    > resolution of  the best that 70 mm film movies can offer.
    >
    > Finally, do you work for Microsoft or do contract work for them?

    The official Adobe information on the 64 bit issue is at
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html .
    cwdjrxyz, May 16, 2009