Embeded Video

dorayme

Travis Newbury said:
The problem with youtube is the link back to their site. Better to
upload it to youtube, then download the resultant FLV file. Then put
it on your own server and use one of the many free Flash players you
can easily skin and put on your web page.

Let youtube convert the file for you. But serve the file yourself.

That is taking piggy-backing to an interesting and intelligent level. I
assume it is all possible and easy enough? Make some experiments - drop
everything in your life - and write down the whole thing step by step,
pitfalls etc and give a URL. In return, I can promise two good jokes,
one really filthy if you want.

What is the big problem about the link back to their site, not reliable,

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
That is taking piggy-backing to an interesting and intelligent level.
I assume it is all possible and easy enough? Make some experiments -
drop everything in your life - and write down the whole thing step by
step, pitfalls etc and give a URL. In return, I can promise two good
jokes, one really filthy if you want.

What is the big problem about the link back to their site, not
reliable, ads?

The ads/related videos can be turned off, as I just found out. Hey, I'm
happy with it, I'm even happy with able to change the color of the little
player.

dorayme

Adrienne Boswell said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme

The ads/related videos can be turned off, as I just found out. Hey, I'm
happy with it, I'm even happy with able to change the color of the little
player.

Agreed. Until we hear back from the good Trav, we will not quite know
whether the trouble of going through his admittedly interesting
procedure is always worth it or perhaps is worth it sometimes...

Travis Newbury

Agreed. Until we hear back from the good Trav, we will not quite know
whether the trouble of going through his admittedly interesting
procedure is always worth it or perhaps is worth it sometimes...

The video does not have to be hosted on youtube. A client may not
want it there. There are no links back to youtube and no bottom third
(or bug)

Travis Newbury

Agreed. Until we hear back from the good Trav, we will not quite know
whether the trouble of going through his admittedly interesting
procedure is always worth it or perhaps is worth it sometimes...

There is no added trouble to doing this. You upload the video to
Youtuube, when it is there you watch it and grab it with Download
helper. Then you FTP it to your server. Adding a custom player to
your page is exactly the same as adding youtube's player. You cut and
paste some object code into your page. There are several players out
there that allow you to completely skin them into your page design.

I am sure you would agree this is hardly effort at all. And now you
don't have any link to anything else, you completely control who see's
your video (until someone steals it). Oh then if you want, you delete
the video from youtube.

Neredbojias

There is no added trouble to doing this. You upload the video to
Youtuube, when it is there you watch it and grab it with Download
helper. Then you FTP it to your server. Adding a custom player to
your page is exactly the same as adding youtube's player. You cut and
paste some object code into your page. There are several players out
there that allow you to completely skin them into your page design.

I am sure you would agree this is hardly effort at all. And now you
don't have any link to anything else, you completely control who see's
your video (until someone steals it). Oh then if you want, you delete
the video from youtube.

Please tell me the advantage of doing this over getting your own
conversion program.

Travis Newbury

Please tell me the advantage of doing this over getting your own
conversion program.

Absolutly no advantage over getting your own, but they were talking
about using youtube to host and I was simply showing them reason's
they might no want to.

dorayme

Travis Newbury said:
There is no added trouble to doing this. You upload the video to
Youtuube, when it is there you watch it and grab it with Download
helper. Then you FTP it to your server. Adding a custom player to
your page is exactly the same as adding youtube's player. You cut and
paste some object code into your page. There are several players out
there that allow you to completely skin them into your page design.

I am sure you would agree this is hardly effort at all. And now you
don't have any link to anything else, you completely control who see's
your video (until someone steals it). Oh then if you want, you delete
the video from youtube.

Yes, OK. I will experiment more with downloadhelper (it has been mixed
in success when I have casually tried). One advantage of using youTube
is they carry the load but I understand the advantages of your
suggestion.

Any custom players you particularly like or have tried?

Travis Newbury

Any custom players you particularly like or have tried?

Interesting comment about download helper, I use it all the time and
never had a problem with it. Maybe I did not use it until they fixed
the bugs. Anyway, I still recommend it for stealing most (non
streaming) media.

I build my own players. Always have and with Flash it is as simple as
drawing a design, and dropping a FLV playback component on it. No
skill at all for making a skin able FLV player.

Now you will need some actionscript if you are going to design your
own buttons and use them, but even that actionscript is just adding an
eventListener for the mouse click: (the below code assumes you have a
FLVPLayback component named VideoPlayer, and three movieclips named
PauseButton, PlayButtom and StopButton

PauseButton.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,VideoButtonClick);
PlayButton.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,VideoButtonClick);
StopButton.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,VideoButtonClick);

function VideoButtonClick(evt:MouseEvent){
switch(evt.name){
case "PauseButton"
VideoPlayer.pause();
break;
case "PlayButton"
VideoPlayer.play();
break;
case "StopButton"
VideoPlayer.stop();
break;

That's it, you have a custom flash player. You can get fancy and add
a list control and have it read XML so you can keep a playlist well
the possibilities are virtually endless.

hope that helps.

Neredbojias

Absolutly no advantage over getting your own, but they were talking
about using youtube to host and I was simply showing them reason's
they might no want to.

My objection to the procedure is that it seems kind of an abuse of
youtube's shall-we-say user-friendliness. Anyway, whatever.

Travis Newbury

My objection to the procedure is that it seems kind of an abuse of
youtube's shall-we-say user-friendliness.  Anyway, whatever.

I don't disagree, and any corporation or business that wants to have
video on their site will probably find the youtube conversion too
crappy anyway. There are enough converters out there that you don't
have to "buy" one, or in the worse case,you have to spend a few
bucks....

cwdjrxyz

My objection to the procedure is that it seems kind of an abuse of
youtube's shall-we-say user-friendliness.  Anyway, whatever.

The least expensive encoders often give you little more than a flv
when you input a video. The more expensive ones often include easy to
use features to write the swf container file including a player along
with the flv. The flv and swf are written at the same time and you
can try out various controls, etc to see how they look using your
flv. Some allow you to write scripts for special needs, but for the
most part you do not have to unless you are not satisfied with any of
the many control, etc, that you can select from the program. Many
offer a free trial download that is water marked, distorts the sound,
or something of the sort so you do not get a free ride. I would
strongly suggest that one start with a free downoad version to make
sure it will work on your OS and browser as intended and to allow you
to judge quality, features, and convenience before you have to pay.
Perhaps the online knowledge base for the encoder I use will give you
an idea about how encoding is done. It is at http://www.video-to-flash.com/knowledge_base/
..

dorayme

Travis Newbury said:
[...]

Jesus, Travis, I will do you the honour of putting this post in my
video/cwdjrxyz folder. Thanks for the information. For when I have time
to attend to this matter with full attention...

Neredbojias

[...]

My requirements aren't too extensive and the few times I do a
conversion it's usually with "Super", the free utility. For some
reason, I have a "thing" about Flash's vid-file-and-container system,
probably because I'm used to having a fixed program run appropriate
data. For .flv and .mp4 files, I generally stick with the JW player
which works well for my needs