Embeding mp3 doesn't work ... help

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Guest, Jul 31, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am creating a site to learn a foreign language. I will have hundreds of
    sounds (each no longer than 5 seconds).

    I don't want the users to have pop-up windows at all so I need the sounds to
    be embeded.

    I can make it work with WAV files :
    http://www.perignon.co.uk/testwav.html

    but it doesn't work with MP3 :
    http://www.perignon.co.uk/testmp3.html

    What am I doing wrong ? The server I use says it has got the audio mp3 MIME
    so it should work ?

    The mp3 source is in :
    http://www.perignon.co.uk/fr/lessonbeg/sound/o.mp3
    and works fine.

    The code is :
    <OBJECT ID="mediaPlayer"
    CLASSID="CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95"
    CODEBASE="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/
    controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701" STANDBY="Loading
    Microsoft Windows Media Player components..."
    TYPE="application/x-oleobject"> <PARAM NAME="fileName"
    VALUE="http://www.perignon.co.uk/fr/lessonbeg/sound/o.mp3"> <PARAM
    NAME="animationatStart" VALUE="true"> <PARAM NAME="transparentatStart"
    VALUE="true"> <PARAM NAME="autoStart" VALUE="true"> <PARAM
    NAME="showControls" VALUE="true"> </OBJECT>

    Thank you for your help.

    Guest, Jul 31, 2005

    Spartanicus Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I am creating a site to learn a foreign language. I will have hundreds of
    >sounds (each no longer than 5 seconds).
    >
    >I don't want the users to have pop-up windows at all so I need the sounds to
    >be embeded.

    No you don't: <a href="noise.mp3">noise</a>, better yet use redirector
    files: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

    >The code is :
    ><OBJECT ID="mediaPlayer"
    >CLASSID="CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95"
    >CODEBASE="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/
    >controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701" STANDBY="Loading
    >Microsoft Windows Media Player components..."
    >TYPE="application/x-oleobject"> <PARAM NAME="fileName"
    >VALUE="http://www.perignon.co.uk/fr/lessonbeg/sound/o.mp3"> <PARAM
    >NAME="animationatStart" VALUE="true"> <PARAM NAME="transparentatStart"
    >VALUE="true"> <PARAM NAME="autoStart" VALUE="true"> <PARAM
    >NAME="showControls" VALUE="true"> </OBJECT>

    Horrible MS specific ActiveX crap.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Jul 31, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Jul 31, 2005

    Guest Guest

    OK
    got it working using the bgsound and using :

    ../path

    instead of

    http://mysite/path

    Guest, Jul 31, 2005

    Spartanicus Guest

    <> wrote:

    >OK
    >got it working using the bgsound and using :

    No, you just broke your site.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Jul 31, 2005

    Spartanicus Guest

    <> wrote:

    >> No you don't: <a href="noise.mp3">noise</a>, better yet use redirector
    >> files: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

    >I tried that but the sound is not embeded. It opens in a new window ....

    What happens depends on the user's configuration, change your
    configuration if you don't like a new window.

    Altering the website coding to circumvent a configuration error on your
    computer will only result in a broken website for others.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Jul 31, 2005
  7. Jonathan N. Little, Jul 31, 2005
  8. Spartanicus wrote:
    > Altering the website coding to circumvent a configuration error on your
    > computer will only result in a broken website for others.

    But it works the way it was designed. So you have to weigh which is
    more important to the overall success of the site. And only the OP can
    be the judge of that.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jul 31, 2005
  9. wrote:
    > got it working using the bgsound and using :

    You realize of course that this will not work for everyone. So if your
    audience uses IE and has a configuration like yours, then you are fine.
    But if some of your visitors have something different (say one of the
    many browsers that do not support bgsound) then they get nothing. So
    you might want to use bgsound AND supply a link for everyone else.

    This way for the vast majority of your visitors, it works the way you
    designed it, and for the rest of your visitors they get to use the link
    to hear the sound.

    Kind of the best of both worlds.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jul 31, 2005

    SpaceGirl Guest

    wrote:
    > OK
    > got it working using the bgsound and using :
    >
    > ./path
    >
    > instead of
    >
    > http://mysite/path

    Wont work in any browsers I use, you 10-15% of browsers most people use.
    Why would I want to hear sound from a web site unless I specifically
    asked for it? Generally I have music playing while I'm at the computer.
    Last thing I want is ANOTHER mp3 playing at the same time...

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
    # explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
    # to duplicate this post.

    SpaceGirl, Jul 31, 2005

    dorayme Guest

    > From: <>
    >
    > I am creating a site to learn a foreign language. I will have hundreds of
    > sounds (each no longer than 5 seconds).
    >
    > I don't want the users to have pop-up windows at all so I need the sounds to
    > be embeded.
    >
    > I can make it work with WAV files :
    > http://www.perignon.co.uk/testwav.html

    Amazing how well this works! Never mind the majority of the code at
    http://70.84.175.210/~perigno/testwav.html, does anyone have a browser
    (where they have not turned off relevant preferences or options and do not
    play background music like Spacegirl) that does not play the wav file with
    the embed. Works well in all my browsers, not just IE.

    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 1, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Thank you all for your advice.

    Users will have a choice between the embed WAV (which works with all
    browsers hopefully), or the bgsound MP3 (only IE ?).

    They will be able to make their choice when they register by doing a simple
    test, and the site will point to the relevant files according to that first
    choice ...

    It is the best I can think of as objetct/param tags didn't work properly.

    Guest, Aug 1, 2005

    Spartanicus Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Thank you all for your advice.

    What advice? Quote a minimal bit of what you are replying to, put your
    reply beneath it.

    >Users will have a choice between the embed WAV (which works with all
    >browsers hopefully)

    It won't.

    >, or the bgsound MP3 (only IE ?).

    Apart from the flawed method of using the embed element, any form of
    embedding (and that includes bgsound) is flawed. Embedded audio is in
    the top ten of things people hate about web sites.

    >They will be able to make their choice when they register by doing a simple
    >test, and the site will point to the relevant files according to that first
    >choice ...
    >
    >It is the best I can think of as objetct/param tags didn't work properly.

    You've been shown how to do this in a way that enables it to work for
    *all* clients (at so that the audio only plays at the user's request
    only). It's pointless if it "works" on your computer, if you are
    creating a web site then it needs to work for *others*.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Aug 1, 2005
  14. Spartanicus wrote:
    > >, or the bgsound MP3 (only IE ?).

    > Apart from the flawed method of using the embed element, any form of
    > embedding (and that includes bgsound) is flawed. Embedded audio is in
    > the top ten of things people hate about web sites.

    Unless it is requested. And in this case the OP implied that it was
    infact being requested to be played that way.

    > >They will be able to make their choice when they register by doing a simple
    > >test, and the site will point to the relevant files according to that first
    > >choice ...

    > You've been shown how to do this in a way that enables it to work for
    > *all* clients (at so that the audio only plays at the user's request
    > only). It's pointless if it "works" on your computer, if you are
    > creating a web site then it needs to work for *others*.

    The OP has done extra work to assure that both those that want a
    background sound and those that don't can have what they want. Your
    reply seems to be saying, you should not even give them that choice.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Aug 1, 2005

    Guest

    Spartanicus <> wrote in

    > Apart from the flawed method of using the embed element, any form of
    > embedding (and that includes bgsound) is flawed. Embedded audio is in
    > the top ten of things people hate about web sites.

    What I showed you in that test is only the tip of the iceberg. User will
    have a choice of lets say 20 sounds to play on the page (i.e. 20 "play"
    buttons).

    When they click on the button, a new page will open with the sound
    embeded (if they chose WAV) or in background mode (if they chose MP3).

    > You've been shown how to do this in a way that enables it to work for
    > *all* clients (at so that the audio only plays at the user's request
    > only). It's pointless if it "works" on your computer, if you are
    > creating a web site then it needs to work for *others*.

    No I have not. What you showed me say :
    "Linking to the redirector file will cause the associated player
    software to start on the client computer"

    I wanted something embeded (like for the wav example) but unfortunately
    it doesn't seem achivable with MP3.

    , Aug 1, 2005

    Guest

    dorayme <> wrote in

    > Amazing how well this works! Never mind the majority of the code at
    > http://70.84.175.210/~perigno/testwav.html, does anyone have a browser
    > (where they have not turned off relevant preferences or options and do
    > not play background music like Spacegirl) that does not play the wav
    > file with the embed. Works well in all my browsers, not just IE.
    >
    > dorayme

    Yes dorayme, WAV works great.

    But because of download time problems, I thought it would have been nice
    to have an MP3 option to work EXACTLY the same way.

    I thought I would be able to use ..<embed>.. or ...<object><parameter
    autoplay>... but as you can see, my testpage doen't work :
    http://www.perignon.co.uk/testmp3.html

    , Aug 1, 2005

    Rincewind Guest

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:16:24 +0100, SpaceGirl wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> OK
    >> got it working using the bgsound and using :
    >>
    >> ./path
    >>
    >> instead of
    >>
    >> http://mysite/path
    >>

    > Wont work in any browsers I use, you 10-15% of browsers most people use.
    > Why would I want to hear sound from a web site unless I specifically
    > asked for it? Generally I have music playing while I'm at the computer.
    > Last thing I want is ANOTHER mp3 playing at the same time...

    Well if its a site to learn a foreign language you probably would want to
    hear it.

    Rincewind, Aug 1, 2005
  18. Rincewind wrote:
    > > Wont work in any browsers I use...

    > Well if its a site to learn a foreign language you probably would want to
    > hear it.

    You have a great solution. The user gets to decide if they want a pop
    up (aka a link) or if they want embeded audio. If one doesn't work for
    the user, they can change to the other. This is a perfectly acceptable
    solution to your problem.

    And while they mean well, sometimes people here talk in absolutes and
    ignore the common sense part of the solution.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Aug 1, 2005

    Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in

    > You have a great solution. The user gets to decide if they want a pop
    > up (aka a link) or if they want embeded audio. If one doesn't work
    > for the user, they can change to the other. This is a perfectly
    > acceptable solution to your problem.

    That sounds good, but that means 4 different ways (i.e. WAV embed,WAV
    link, MP3 embed and MP3 link) ... that's going to be tricky to code but
    would be the best solution I guess.

    I still think users prefer an "embeded" solution for this kind of site,
    because it can become annoying to have the sound window to popup
    everytime you want to learn a new word.

    Cheers

    , Aug 1, 2005

    Guest

    Hi again,

    The problem with my code was on the following line :
    <PARAM NAME="fileName"
    VALUE="http://www.perignon.co.uk/fr/lessonbeg/sound/o.mp3">

    When replaced with :
    <PARAM NAME="fileName" VALUE="./fr/lessonbeg/sound/o.mp3">

    The sound plays !!!! (I am using IE6)

    And the <OBJECT><PARAM> tags are not proprietary (unlike bgsound) so it
    should work in most of the browsers ....

    Can you guys try
    http://www.perignon.co.uk/testmp3.html
    and tell me if it works for you please ?

    Thank you all for you help.

    , Aug 1, 2005