Embeding Windows Media Player? A tricky one.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dan Phillips, Jan 22, 2004.

  1. Dan Phillips

    Dan Phillips Guest

    Hi

    I have a streaming radio program that I am setting up a website for. I am
    streaming live MP3 audio. Currently I am using NiceCast as a broadcaster and
    ShoutCast server as my server. The webpage I have create has a link that
    opens your external viewer that is associated with the extension M3U. This
    link is working great. Alternatively I am also attemption to have an embeded
    windows media player play the streaming audio. As long as I have windows
    media player 9 installed everything works great. However if I have a version
    of windows media player lower than 9 it does not work. I have accessed other
    sites that do audio streaming with versions of windows media player that are
    lower than 9 but they seem to be streaming ASX, WMA or ASF. They also seem
    to be using the MMS protocol which I think requires a windows media server
    but I am not completely sure. I don't want to use a windows media server
    because there will be thousands of users connection to the broadcast and the
    per user liscense fee with windows media server is too expensive. ShoutCast
    provides unlimited user liscenses. Can anyone help me out with this. Will
    ShoutCast work with the MMS protocol? Is there some other setting I should
    be using in ShoutCast to address my problem? Is there a way to fool windows
    media player by creating a false asx extension for my streaming mp3? Anyone
    have an example of streaming audio that is embeded and working with a
    version of windows media player earlier than 9 that is not using a windows
    media server or the MMS protocol. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

    Dan

    Dan Phillips, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Dan Phillips wrote:

    > Is there a way to fool windows media player by creating a false asx
    > extension for my streaming mp3?

    The problem is not the m3u/asx file, but the fact that (AFAIK) Windows
    Media Player prior to version 9 didn't support streaming MP3. Provide a
    link to download a decent media player (WinAmp, RealPlayer, XMMS, etc) and
    be done with it.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Dan Phillips

    Spartanicus Guest

    http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm

    >As long as I have windows
    >media player 9 installed everything works great. However if I have a version
    >of windows media player lower than 9 it does not work.

    URL?

    >I have accessed other
    >sites that do audio streaming with versions of windows media player that are
    >lower than 9 but they seem to be streaming ASX, WMA or ASF. They also seem
    >to be using the MMS protocol which I think requires a windows media server

    Correct, MMS is a proprietary MS protocol.

    >Will ShoutCast work with the MMS protocol?

    No, it uses it's own transport protocol.

    >Is there some other setting I should
    >be using in ShoutCast to address my problem? Is there a way to fool windows
    >media player by creating a false asx extension for my streaming mp3?

    No need for that, post an URL and we can point out your problem.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Dan Phillips

    Spartanicus Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote:

    >The problem is not the m3u/asx file, but the fact that (AFAIK) Windows
    >Media Player prior to version 9 didn't support streaming MP3.

    Incorrect.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Dan Phillips

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > Is there a way to fool windows media player by creating a false asx
    > > extension for my streaming mp3?

    > The problem is not the m3u/asx file, but the fact that (AFAIK) Windows
    > Media Player prior to version 9 didn't support streaming MP3. Provide a
    > link to download a decent media player (WinAmp, RealPlayer, XMMS, etc) and
    > be done with it.

    Or use a Flash player embedded if you are set on embedding a player.
    Flash allows you to stream (actually progressive download). You could
    make it look just like a car radio or something.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Dan Phillips

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article
    <>,
    says...
    > No need for that, post an URL and we can point out your problem.

    My guess is he is using the GUID for Media player 9, rather than using
    6.4 GUID which will pop up what ever MS player the user has on their
    computer. (except that short lived version they released for a month or
    so)

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Dan Phillips

    Unregistered Guest

    here's a simple fix for your webcasting woes

    open notepad and paste the following

    <ASX version="3.0">
    <Entry>
    <ref HREF="http://yourip:port#/listen.pls (or m3u)"/>
    <title>place station name here</title>
    </Entry>
    </ASX>

    Save the file as an .asx file.

    create a link to you newly created asx file and host. modify the htt
    and title references in the file to suite your needs.

    Done and done

    Unregistered

    Unregistered, Feb 1, 2004