Embperl and mod_perl support

Hobo Salesman

How widely is mod_perl and Embperl supported by web hosts? I have to
develop a web application that needs to be portable among web hosts. I
want to use Perl, but only if I can use Embperl/mod_perl. My other
optin is PHP5, very widely supported and a little easier/faster, but
seems kind of like driving a volvo when theres a ferrari in the garage.
Portability is a big issue though, having a client's webhost say they
require payment for a dedicated server to use Embperl would be.... bad.

HS

Mirco Wahab

Thus spoke Hobo Salesman (on 2006-06-20 03:34):
How widely is mod_perl and Embperl supported by web hosts? I have to
develop a web application that needs to be portable among web hosts. I
want to use Perl, but only if I can use Embperl/mod_perl. My other
optin is PHP5, very widely supported and a little easier/faster, but
seems kind of like driving a volvo when theres a ferrari in the garage.

No, its rather like
"driving a Toyota Pickup when theres a HMMVEE in the garage"

(you need a lot of fuel and expertise for the latter,
but can win the war with it ;-)
Portability is a big issue though, having a client's webhost say they
require payment for a dedicated server to use Embperl would be.... bad.

In my country, you almost everywhere have
the Toyota pre-installed on budget websites,
and need to choose among the more expensive
ones for the HMMVEE.

Another pick would be a 'virtual server' site,
where you are 'root' and may install whatever
you want (including apache/mod_perl AND mod_php
the same time).

How much $$ would you like to spend
every month? That's what you get then ;-)

Regards

Mirco