    Portability is a big issue though, having a client's webhost say they
    require payment for a dedicated server to use Embperl would be.... bad.

    HS
    Hobo Salesman, Jun 20, 2006

  2. Hobo Salesman

    Mirco Wahab Guest

    Thus spoke Hobo Salesman (on 2006-06-20 03:34):

    > How widely is mod_perl and Embperl supported by web hosts? I have to
    > develop a web application that needs to be portable among web hosts. I
    > want to use Perl, but only if I can use Embperl/mod_perl. My other
    > optin is PHP5, very widely supported and a little easier/faster, but
    > seems kind of like driving a volvo when theres a ferrari in the garage.

    No, its rather like
    "driving a Toyota Pickup when theres a HMMVEE in the garage"

    (you need a lot of fuel and expertise for the latter,
    but can win the war with it ;-)

    > Portability is a big issue though, having a client's webhost say they
    > require payment for a dedicated server to use Embperl would be.... bad.

    In my country, you almost everywhere have
    the Toyota pre-installed on budget websites,
    and need to choose among the more expensive
    ones for the HMMVEE.

    Another pick would be a 'virtual server' site,
    where you are 'root' and may install whatever
    you want (including apache/mod_perl AND mod_php
    the same time).

    How much $$ would you like to spend
    every month? That's what you get then ;-)

    Regards

    Mirco
    Mirco Wahab, Jun 20, 2006