Embperl question

Discussion in 'Perl' started by dogdog@noemail.com, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Setup my apache with mod_perl and with Embperl::HTML

    I've written my embedded perl into my webpage using the
    [- -] tags to enclose some socket connection perl. Using
    IO::Socket::Inet and I've setup the
    connection according to some online documentation. It all
    works great from the command line.

    Now that I've embedded that same code into a webpage with the
    above mentioned tags I'm getting this error

    "Cant call method send on an undefined variable"

    The line is in reference to my send command where I send
    a command to the remote server.
    I put in a define like this so I'm not sure why it would
    fail to send.

    $defined_variable="command";
    $socket->send($defined_variable);

    Any reason why it fails with a socket connect?

    Also, I would like to use embperl to make calls to a text box and
    or "radio" type buttons.
    Where as I would have the user type in a command and hit submit,
    then it would process the command and send it to the server plus
    provide back the setting in the text box. Could
    I get some ideas on how to write this in the html. I have
    the perl scripts that work from command line but I have no
    clue on how to put it into html. Plus I havent been able to
    find anything on google or in
    a reference for this while using embperl.

    TIA
    dogdog
    , Nov 29, 2004

  2. Joe Smith Guest

    wrote:

    > "Cant call method send on an undefined variable"
    > Any reason why it fails with a socket connect?
    > $defined_variable="command";
    > $socket->send($defined_variable);

    You're focusing on the wrong thing. Add this line between those two:
    die "Socket creation failed" unless defined $socket;

    Any further questions should be posted to comp.lang.perl.misc,
    not this newsgroup (comp.lang.perl).
    -Joe
    Joe Smith, Nov 30, 2004

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:05:45 +0000, Joe Smith wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Cant call method send on an undefined variable"
    >> Any reason why it fails with a socket connect?
    >> $defined_variable="command";
    >> $socket->send($defined_variable);

    > You're focusing on the wrong thing. Add this line between those two:
    > die "Socket creation failed" unless defined $socket;
    >
    > Any further questions should be posted to comp.lang.perl.misc,
    > not this newsgroup (comp.lang.perl).
    > -Joe

    joe,

    thanks for the response, i'll subscribe to that newsgroup. I have
    alot of questions related to perl and how I can better use it
    with webpages.

    thanks again
    dogdog
    , Dec 1, 2004