EMERGENCY! Suddenly in IE readers cannot scroll. ???

melinama

Hi,
I was trying to center my blog for large screens (http://
caraycaray.blogspot.com). That worked fine for Firefox but now, in IE,
for some reason, the screen won't scroll and our readers are yelling
at me and I don't know what I did wrong, could somebody save me?

Thanks!
Jane

Jonathan N. Little

melinama said:
Hi,
I was trying to center my blog for large screens (http://
caraycaray.blogspot.com). That worked fine for Firefox but now, in IE,
for some reason, the screen won't scroll and our readers are yelling
at me and I don't know what I did wrong, could somebody save me?

Scrolls for me, IE6 on W2K

But this one a new one!
position:center;

No such value. static | relative | absolute | fixed | inherit, no center.

melinama

I should have said: it scrolls a bit, but not all the way (by any
means) to the bottom of the page, not even past the first post. ?? I'm
interested to hear the position:center doesn't work, but that's not
the problem cause it's in a part that's been there for months and the
no-scrolling-to-the-bottom just started a couple days ago...

Thanks, but any other ideas?

Jane

Jonathan N. Little

melinama said:
I should have said: it scrolls a bit, but not all the way (by any
means) to the bottom of the page, not even past the first post. ??

All the way to the bottom to your last post

I'm
interested to hear the position:center doesn't work,

'position:center' doesn't work because there is no such thing!

Valid values are: static, relative, absolute, fixed, and inherit. See:

http//www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#propdef-position

but that's not
the problem cause it's in a part that's been there for months and the
no-scrolling-to-the-bottom just started a couple days ago...

Don't know what to tell you, it does scroll for me, all the way down.
Maybe you have a corrupted version cached on your machine...

John Hosking

melinama said:
Hi,
I was trying to center my blog for large screens (http://
caraycaray.blogspot.com). That worked fine for Firefox but now, in IE,
for some reason, the screen won't scroll and our readers are yelling
at me and I don't know what I did wrong, could somebody save me?

Problem reproduced on my IE6. The page loads down to "Telenovela-World"
in the left-hand nav bar, which is about even with the recap text
"Rebeca gets nowhere and Emilio ushers her out of his room." The entire
source code is known to the browser (View source reveals it all), but
the display stops as noted. I can get it *all* to display by changing
the text size to view with. Then it all becomes visible. Like you say,
it works (load- and scroll-wise) fine in my FF.

One cool place to start would be to add a doctype, putting IE in
standards mode. Try <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">.

Then, you can validate the page and try to get rid of potential causes
of you problem. As it sits, your page has 435 errors.

BTW, instead of long, long strings of text "formatted" with <br /><br />
pairs, why not mark up your content paragraphs as <p> elements? Or does
blogspot.com keep you from doing sensible things? :-|

HTH. GL.

melinama

Problem reproduced on my IE6. The page loads down to "Telenovela-World"
in the left-hand nav bar, which is about even with the recap text
"Rebeca gets nowhere and Emilio ushers her out of his room." The entire
source code is known to the browser (View source reveals it all), but
the display stops as noted. I can get it *all* to display by changing
the text size to view with. Then it all becomes visible. Like you say,
it works (load- and scroll-wise) fine in my FF.

OK, this is so peculiar. As John suggests, if I tell IE to make the
text size smaller, everything appears. Then if I tell it to make the
text size bigger again, everything is STILL VISIBLE. Why would that
be?

One cool place to start would be to add a doctype, putting IE in
standards mode. Try <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">.
Well I added that.
Then, you can validate the page and try to get rid of potential causes
of you problem. As it sits, your page has 435 errors.

I don't know how to validate a page. I started with a blogger template
and it's been edited a little bit. I'm perplexed but not stupid so
I'll try to do what you suggest (though I still have a fix to an
earlier problem I haven't been able to make yet).

Richard Formby

melinama wrote
OK, this is so peculiar. As John suggests, if I tell IE to make the
text size smaller, everything appears. Then if I tell it to make the
text size bigger again, everything is STILL VISIBLE. Why would that
be?

Sounds (and looks) like a variation of the peekaboo bug. Google for it.

You are also running into some of IE's "broken box model" bugs. At one stage
I saw the entire left column *below* the centre content column, and at
random.

These seemingly random events are sympomatic of both the broken box model
and the peekaboo bug. Change anything, the font size, the canvas size (by as
much as 1 pixel), refresh the page, even a simple scroll, the symptoms
change.
I don't know how to validate a page.

http://validator.w3.org