Emitting Client Script

Ed Courtenay

Reposting here as you can practically see the tumbleweed blow by in
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols....

I've got a very simple custom control that requires a small section of
JavaScript to function at the client - nothing out of the ordinary.

In the overridden RenderContents method of my custom control I check
whether the required client script block has been registered with
Page.ClientScript.IsClientScriptBlockRegistered() and if not, register
it with Page.ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock()

If I place the custom control on a web form, the script gets injected
into the page as expected and works as it should.

If, however, the control is placed onto a Master page the script doesn't
get injected and therefore the control fails to work; why is this
behaving differently when the control is placed on a Master page, and
what do I have to do to get it to work?

bruce barker

RenderContents is the wrong time to register the script. as the script block
comes before the controls html, its too late to render it after you have
rendered the content. Suprised your code ever worked.

move the RegisterClientScriptBlock to OnPreRender where it belongs.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Ed Courtenay

bruce said:
RenderContents is the wrong time to register the script. as the script block
comes before the controls html, its too late to render it after you have
rendered the content. Suprised your code ever worked.

move the RegisterClientScriptBlock to OnPreRender where it belongs.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

How the hell did I miss that? *blush*

It's strange what you miss when it's staring you straight in the face!