Empty Elements: implicit xsi:nil="true" possible ?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Stefan Prange, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. Hi everyone,

    I have a little problem here and wasn't able to find a proper solution
    by searching the web. So this newsgroups is my last resort ;-)

    I have an xml-schema definition of an element which reads:
    <xsd:element name="DoubleValue" type="xsd:double" nillable="true"/>

    In my instance document I have the following element:
    <DoubleValue/>
    This line is rejected during schema-validating the document with the
    message "The value '' of element 'DoubleValue' is not valid."

    When I provide the element explicitely with the "xsi:nil"-attribute it's
    parsed as valid. This is the valid element:
    <DoubleValue xsi:nil="true"/>

    (To make this work I had to extend the root element of my schema
    definition with the xsi:nil-attribute. It now looks like this:
    xsi:nil="true">
    )

    Now, my question is:
    Is it possible to tell the XML engine to implicity assume the
    xsi:nil="true" attribute when it comes across an empty element?
    This would let me keep the simpler form of empty elements (<DoubleValue/>).

    I'm using Xerces 2.6.2 as XML engine.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

    Stefan