Empty MessageBox / McAfee problem - any news ?

Werner Keilholz

A MessageBox("Hi there") in .NET 2003 / C# displays a blank (empty)
window on XP if McAfee antivirus is installed.

This is due to the JPG buffer overflow ckeck in McAfee, and a patch has
been released by McAfee (see below for details).

Is there a different solution for this problem ? (Without updating the
entire project to 2005 / knowing if the user has McAfee).

Thanks,

Werner
Details:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Programming_Languages/C_Sharp/Q_21566486.html

Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]

Werner,

I know this doesn't sound like a solution, but I would think there are
more people who don't have McAfee installed than do. I would just have a
knowledge base article or something of that nature indicating the problem
when running with McAfee. This is an issue with McAffe, not your program or
..NET.

Hope this helps.

Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP \)

Hi,

Werner Keilholz said:
A MessageBox("Hi there") in .NET 2003 / C# displays a blank (empty) window
on XP if McAfee antivirus is installed.

I use Symantec both at home and at work so I had no idea of this.

Is there a different solution for this problem ? (Without updating the
entire project to 2005 / knowing if the user has McAfee).

I don't think so, it's a problem with your AV soft, it has nothing to do
with the framework.

Question, why upgrading to 2.0 resolve this issue?

Ken Halter

Werner Keilholz said:
A MessageBox("Hi there") in .NET 2003 / C# displays a blank (empty) window
on XP if McAfee antivirus is installed.

This is due to the JPG buffer overflow ckeck in McAfee, and a patch has
been released by McAfee (see below for details).

Is there a different solution for this problem ? (Without updating the
entire project to 2005 / knowing if the user has McAfee).

Thanks,

Werner
Details:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Programming_Languages/C_Sharp/Q_21566486.html

McAfee has a hotfix that should take care of the problem. It's not limited
to dotNet either. I must've spent 3 days trying to track down a
(non-existant) bug in my VB6 software for someone. I ended up giving them a
refund because I couldn't reproduce the problem. Since I've never owned a
McAfee product, I had no clue. About 3 months later, I find a post in one of
these groups that pointed to a McAfee hotfix. I just about had a freaking
cow.

IMO, McAfee / Norton are just as bad as the virus infections they're trying
to prevent. I use AVG free version and haven't had a single problem...
period.

Let's all sing the "I hate McAfee" song... 1... 2... 3... GO!

I wouldn't install a McAfee product if I had a free lifetime subscription...
They not only cost me several hundred bucks for that refund, they also wiped
out my entire OE message store and made it impossible to do *anything* with
OE from that point on... which forced me to switch to Thunderbird... which
is "ok" but I prefer OE.

Note that you'll have to contact Customer Support (hard to say that with a
straight face <g>) for that hotfix now as the link is broken (they probably
ran one of their products on their website and broke everything)