emulate a serial port in windows (create a virtual 'com' port)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Pom, Jan 30, 2007.

  1. Pom

    Pom Guest

    Hello

    how can I emulate a serial port in windows? I want to intercept data
    sent to a 'com'port by a proprietary program. It sends statistics to a
    serial display, and I want that data in my python program (that display
    isn't needed).

    Is this possible?

    I've seen this kind of serial ports being created when using USB and
    bleutooth adapters, so i guess it's possible ???

    Thanks in advance

    Greets

    Pom

    Pom, Jan 30, 2007

  2. On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 06:34:17 GMT, Pom <> declaimed
    the following in comp.lang.python:

    > how can I emulate a serial port in windows? I want to intercept data
    > sent to a 'com'port by a proprietary program. It sends statistics to a
    > serial display, and I want that data in my python program (that display
    > isn't needed).

    If this program only sends to a "physical" port, it may be
    easiest/fastest to just use a null modem... Let said program send to the
    port, use the null modem to feed another port that your intercept reads.

    > Is this possible?

    Really emulating a serial port means creating a Windows device
    driver that registers as a "COMx" port, and which the application can
    then open.

    > I've seen this kind of serial ports being created when using USB and
    > bleutooth adapters, so i guess it's possible ???

    Well, if the computer only has one real "COM" port that the program
    is sending to, using a serial<>USB adapter with the null modem cable
    would let your program read from the USB-serial port.
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG

    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    (Bestiaria Support Staff: )
    HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Jan 30, 2007

  3. Pom

    Bas-i Guest

    On Jan 30, 7:34 am, Pom <> wrote:

    > how can I emulate a serial port in windows?

    Google for ComEmulDrv3

    This may do what you want.

    Bas-i, Jan 31, 2007
  4. Pom

    AlexxGreen

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Pom! It's all possible with spesial software like Virtual COM Port Driver - emulate real serial port and creative virtual COM ports pairs. This app is friendly with Windows.
    Try it http://www.eltima.com/products/virtual-com-port/
    I hope it help)

    AlexxGreen, Jul 15, 2016