emulate a serial port in windows (create a virtual 'com' port)

Pom

Hello

how can I emulate a serial port in windows? I want to intercept data
sent to a 'com'port by a proprietary program. It sends statistics to a
serial display, and I want that data in my python program (that display
isn't needed).

Is this possible?

I've seen this kind of serial ports being created when using USB and
bleutooth adapters, so i guess it's possible ???

Thanks in advance

Greets

Pom

Dennis Lee Bieber

how can I emulate a serial port in windows? I want to intercept data
sent to a 'com'port by a proprietary program. It sends statistics to a
serial display, and I want that data in my python program (that display
isn't needed).
If this program only sends to a "physical" port, it may be
easiest/fastest to just use a null modem... Let said program send to the
port, use the null modem to feed another port that your intercept reads.
Is this possible?
Really emulating a serial port means creating a Windows device
driver that registers as a "COMx" port, and which the application can
then open.
I've seen this kind of serial ports being created when using USB and
bleutooth adapters, so i guess it's possible ???
Well, if the computer only has one real "COM" port that the program
is sending to, using a serial<>USB adapter with the null modem cable
would let your program read from the USB-serial port.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/