emulating read and readline methods

Sean Davis

I have a large file that I would like to transform and then feed to a
function (psycopg2 copy_from) that expects a file-like object (needs
read and readline methods).

I have a class like so:

class GeneInfo():
def __init__(self):
#urllib.urlretrieve('ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/gene/DATA/
gene_info.gz',"/tmp/gene_info.gz")
self.fh = gzip.open("/tmp/gene_info.gz")
self.fh.readline() #deal with header line

def _read(self,n=1):
for line in self.fh:
if line=='':
break
line=line.strip()
line=re.sub("\t-","\t",line)
rowvals = line.split("\t")
yield "\t".join([rowvals for i in
[0,1,2,3,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,14]]) + "\n"

def readline(self,n=1):
return self._read().next()

def read(self,n=1):
return self._read().next()

def close(self):
self.fh.close()

and I use it like so:

a=GeneInfo()
cur.copy_from(a,"gene_info")
a.close()

It works well except that the end of file is not caught by copy_from.
I get errors like:

psycopg2.extensions.QueryCanceledError: COPY from stdin failed: error
during .read() call
CONTEXT: COPY gene_info, line 1000: ""

for a 1000 line test file. Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks,
Sean

Diez B. Roggisch

Sean said:
[...]

I'm a bit lost why the above actually works - as _read() appears to be
re-created instead of re-used for each invocation, and thus can't work IMHO.

Anyway, I think the real problem is that you don't follow the
readline-protocol. it returns "" if there is no more line to read,
instead you raise a StopIteration

Diez

MRAB

[...]

Each time readline() and read() call self._read() they are creating a
new generator. They then get one value from the newly-created
generator and then discard that generator. What you should do is
create the generator in __init__ and then use it in readline() and
read().
    def close(self):
        self.fh.close()

and I use it like so:

a=GeneInfo()
cur.copy_from(a,"gene_info")
a.close()

It works well except that the end of file is not caught by copy_from.
I get errors like:

psycopg2.extensions.QueryCanceledError: COPY from stdin failed: error
during .read() call
CONTEXT:  COPY gene_info, line 1000: ""

for a 1000 line test file.  Any ideas what is going on?
I wonder whether it's expecting readline() and read() to return an
empty string at the end of the file instead of raising StopIteration.

MRAB

Sean Davis schrieb:

[...]

Each generator that's created reads a single line from the file
(self.fh), yields the result, and is then discarded; none of the
individual generator read more than one line from the file.

John Machin

[...]

Don't wonder; ReadTheFantasticManual:

read( [size])

.... An empty string is returned when EOF is encountered
immediately. ...

readline( [size])

... An empty string is returned only when EOF is encountered
immediately.

[...]

Thanks. This was indeed my problem--not reading the manual closely
enough.

And the points about the iterator being re-instantiated were also
right on point. Interestingly, in this case, the code was working
because read() and readline() were still returning the next line each
time since the file handle was being read one line at a time.

Sean

MRAB

[...]

After further thought, do you actually need a generator? read() and
readline() could just call _read(), which would read a line from the
file and return the result or an empty string. Or the processing could
be done in readline() and read() just could call readline().