Emulating Referrer URL?

Guest

I'm working on an application that does a load of processing on
Session_Start if a new session is started having come from a particular
referrer. To determine this I use Request.UrlReferrer.

How can I debug this code on my local machine? Is there a way to emulate a
new session being started via a redirect from a referrers URL? Possibly by
having another local app pass something in the HTTP headers to my main app?

Thanks

Ben

Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

if it's simply for debugging purposes, you can simply change the value in
the debugger. You'd have to do it for every debugging session but it's a
quick fix

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
Now Available @ www.lulu.com/owc
Forth-coming VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley 2006

Bruce Barker

its a bad idea to design much logic around Request.UrlReferrer as privacy
software (and some proxies) strip it.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Ben Fidge

Didn't know that. A lot of my clients users come in from Google and Overture
sites so they would like to see how much traffic is coming in from where.
Basically they don't trust Google and Overtures reporting of traffic
redirections.

Can you suggest a better way?

Ben Fidge

Good idea. Thanks a lot.