--enable-shared, how do i set the rpath?

Mark Harrison

I've built a python with --enable-shared in order to support mod_python,
but now I have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to $prefix/lib.

Worse, it seems mod_python will die on some import statements,
I'm suspecting ones that need to pull in .so's.

Any clues appreciated...
Mark.

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Mark said:
I've built a python with --enable-shared in order to support mod_python,

Why do you think you have to build with --enable-shared to support
mod_python? I'd try to avoid --enable-shared if possible. It
has undesirable consequences...
but now I have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to $prefix/lib.

.... this being one of them. Actually, if you can pass -Wl,-rpath
correctly to the linkage of mod_python, you don't need
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, unless you move libpython2.5.so around.
Worse, it seems mod_python will die on some import statements,
I'm suspecting ones that need to pull in .so's.

You should inspect sys.path to find out whether it ought to find
those modules.

Regards,
Martin

Robert Kern

Mark said:
I've built a python with --enable-shared in order to support mod_python,
but now I have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to $prefix/lib.

Worse, it seems mod_python will die on some import statements,
I'm suspecting ones that need to pull in .so's.

I find that most of my Apache problems stem from incorrect permissions. Make
sure that the user running the Apache process has "read" and "execute"
permissions for the .so's.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."