Enabling HTTP 1.1 compression

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Paul Delcogliano, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. Hi All,

    Has anyone tried to use HTTP 1.1 compression with Web services? We've set up
    our IIS 6 box to use HTTP 1.1 compression as described by the following
    article, http://www.businessanyplace.net/?p=wscompress We also set up our
    proxy class according to the same article.

    On the client side, I downloaded SharpZipLib to perform the decompression.

    I was hoping that by following the steps described in the article I could
    get compression to work. What I'd like to do is compress large datasets on
    the server and send them to the client app. I liked this solution because it
    didn't require much changes that needed to be made.

    However, after setting everything up, I get the following exception...

    '', hexadecimal value 0x1F, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1.

    It appears as if the compressed data is not being decompressed. I can't help
    but feel like something is missing. Does anyone have any experience using
    compression with Web services to return large typed dataset?

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Paul

    Paul Delcogliano, Apr 7, 2005