encoded diacritics

Guest

How knows this?

Is it allowed using encoded diacritics, e.g. ö é in an XML-file?

When I open such XML-file with IE or Mozilla, they both say it's an error,
but it seems its not compliant with HTML.

Jukka K. Korpela

Is it allowed using encoded diacritics, e.g. ö é in an
XML-file?

It is allowed to use entity references in XML, but you need to define
them.
When I open such XML-file with IE or Mozilla, they both say it's an
error, but it seems its not compliant with HTML.

But what has HTML got to do with this?

This is actually a fairly complex issue. Well, maybe not so complex, but
confusing to people who think that XML is extended HTML (a misconception
that has probably been created intentionally, to some extent).

The short answer is that you cannot assume that HTML entities are
_predefined_ in XML, and there's usually no point in trying to use those
entities in XML (except for the few entities like < that _are_
predefined in XML). See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/ent.xml
for an attempt to explain this a bit more.